Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just FYI, I got an email supposedly from "[email protected]" Friday that said "your online banking is blocked" because "we've noticed that you didn't completed (sic) the verification request. Please login below and complete the cerification (sic) steps, if you don't complete this verification in 3 days, we will have to close your account. We modified the cerification questions, since we have the most of the information already."

We've had a string of issues lately (misplaced deposits, a transfer not made etc), so it seemed plausible. I clicked on the link and it went to what looked EXACTLY like the Wells Web site. I started filling it out, then gradually a light began to dawn: These guys aren't geniuses, but they probably aren't going to let "didn't completed" and "cerification" go out in a corporate communication.
After a 20-minute series of phone transfers ("Your call is very important to us..."), I got somebody in real Wells security who said it's bogus. Apparently a lot of people have fallen for it. So, you know, watch out...

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
i generally assume all e-mails to be phishing. i must have gotten 20 over the years saying they are going to shutdown my paypal acct. or some CC acct. still haven't had an acct shutdown while ignoring those emails.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Just follow my Rule#1

"Never trust anybody about anything.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
which is exactly why when Citi called ME this morning, I hung up and called them back, at the number on my card!

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
Good thing I don’t do any of my banking/bills/etc. online. Just the occasional credit card purchase (I have a special one I use that has a low limit).

·
Kilt wearing, old man
1,662 Posts
Any email from my bank goes in my junk folder. Why? Because my bank doesn't have my email address.:rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts