Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Anyone else notice that Phonac is using Giro helmets now (at least at the Tour de Georgia). When and why did they switch? Anyone know the name of the brand they used to use? They were using them at the Tour of California. Here's some pics off cyclingnews.com:

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
In Europe they are wearing the Catlike helmets.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I saw that from LBL today. Interesting. Are they transitioning, or did they just forget to bring their helmets to Georgia this time?

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
I think they got a nice sum of money for wearing the Giros in the US, according to Phonak's website Catlike is the official sponsor for 2006. Maybe next year it'll be Giro...

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
rogger said:
I think they got a nice sum of money for wearing the Giros in the US, according to Phonak's website Catlike is the official sponsor for 2006. Maybe next year it'll be Giro...
Are Catlike "approved" for sale in the US?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
filtersweep said:
Are Catlike "approved" for sale in the US?
At the beginning of March, USA Cycling decided to recognize european approved standards for racing here in the USA. Catlike were approved in europe but not here at the time. So they now have the green light for racing, although there is no US distribution. I've been using the kompact pro for about a month , bought from prendas in the UK. For me, it was the best fitting, most ventilated helmet out there, and I've tried giro,limar,lazer,las,bell. They seem to fit a more oval shaped head.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
maybe this has been covered already, but why is the phonak team riding red and black bmc's? i like the red and black color scheme, but it looks funny under their green and yellow kits.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
Fignon's Barber said:
At the beginning of March, USA Cycling decided to recognize european approved standards for racing here in the USA. Catlike were approved in europe but not here at the time. So they now have the green light for racing, although there is no US distribution. I've been using the kompact pro for about a month , bought from prendas in the UK. For me, it was the best fitting, most ventilated helmet out there, and I've tried giro,limar,lazer,las,bell. They seem to fit a more oval shaped head.
I second the recommendation for Catlike Kompact. I switched from the MET Strad (not available in the US as of now), and the Catlike feels more compact (ha). The MET probably fits larger heads but I'm happy with the Catlike. I think Cadence Cycling in Philly carried them, I remember seeing them in the store last year.

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
Style police would be all over Phonak.

Green and yellow jerseys, black and red bikes, white helmet, red shoe covers. Me thinks someone at Phonak HQ is color blind. Doesn't seem to be holding Landis back though. I hope the look catches on at the local MUT! :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fignon's Barber said:
At the beginning of March, USA Cycling decided to recognize european approved standards for racing here in the USA. Catlike were approved in europe but not here at the time. So they now have the green light for racing, although there is no US distribution.
That's weird, because at the Tour of California (Feb '06) they were wearing the Catlike helmets (at least they looked like the Catlike) and now they are not. What's up with that?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
johngfoster said:
That's weird, because at the Tour of California (Feb '06) they were wearing the Catlike helmets (at least they looked like the Catlike) and now they are not. What's up with that?
The Tour of Cali would be a UCI event, not USA Cycling.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Ga. is highest UCI event.....

Fignon's Barber said:
The Tour of Cali would be a UCI event, not USA Cycling.
Ga is a UCI event to. It's the highest rank UCI race in North America. I think like stated before the CatLike's aren't approved in the US, so if your racing in the US, you have to follow that particular US rule. I think this one over states the UCI.

Ga race not UCI, that's crazy talk...

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Mosovich said:
Ga is a UCI event to. It's the highest rank UCI race in North America. I think like stated before the CatLike's aren't approved in the US, so if your racing in the US, you have to follow that particular US rule. I think this one over states the UCI.

Ga race not UCI, that's crazy talk...
The logic has lost me. Please identify anywhere in this thread that says that the TdeG was not a UCI event. The original question was "are Catlikes approved" for use in the USA. I answered,"yes", and I explained the new rules for USA Cycling. With the UCI being the highest ranking riders' organization, would you not think their rules apply in their races? It wasn't too long ago that pros didn't even wear helmets during UCI events in the USA ( think 1990's Philly).

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fignon's Barber said:
The original question was "are Catlikes approved" for use in the USA. I answered,"yes"QUOTE]

Actually, the original question was: they were using Catlike helmets and now they are using Giro helmets here while they are still using Catlike in Europe. What's going on?

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
orange_julius said:
I switched from the MET Strad (not available in the US as of now...
MET likely will never be sold in the US since their issue isn't with the testing standards but with the legal climate.

I think the US cycling rule change is kind of funny since you can now wear helmets in the races that aren't legal to be sold in the US. Maybe that means you can smoke pot on the start line too? Might help some people's attitudes...

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
johngfoster said:
Fignon's Barber said:
The original question was "are Catlikes approved" for use in the USA. I answered,"yes"QUOTE]

Actually, the original question was: they were using Catlike helmets and now they are using Giro helmets here while they are still using Catlike in Europe. What's going on?
Actually , you're wrong. Follow the little dotted line to my original response to the question posed ( post #6) .

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Does this really matter?

Mosovich said:
I've got the email of Georges Luchinger, the PR guy for Phonak, he'll square this away for us!
Does what helmets they are wearing really matter? Now does it people?

Come on...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts