Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you old timers know I was getting pretty serious with my photography a few years ago. Back then I used Doc Roebucks line of "I don't do People" and worked hard at urban landscapes and non-people shots. Well after being a big fail at living my dream as a landscape photographer I tried street photography and eventually found my love in street portraiture. I took classes and learned a lot in the process. I've been working on a project for about a year. December 2nd my show "One" opens at the Academy Center of the Arts in Lynchburg with 20 street portraits. It's a pretty prestigious Gallery so I'm a bit scared and stoked at the same time.

One

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
Which Lynchburg? Have you gone to the bottle or to the old time religion?

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
Damn, Vaughn. That's pretty rad about the show. Congratulations. The portraits rock ... you definitely found your calling.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which Lynchburg? Have you gone to the bottle or to the old time religion?
VA, trying to stay away from the Old Time Religion, the bottle helps with that.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damn, Vaughn. That's pretty rad about the show. Congratulations. The portraits rock ... you definitely found your calling.
Thanks. So have you. I still think of you as one of those folks that got me back into photography. Your shots of shopping carts and dry rivers helped inspire me. And that is no BS.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those are some great portraits. How do you get the people to participate?
I just ask. I'm not a shoot without permission guy, at least for the close up portraits. I usually just tell them I'm working on a project and would like to take their photograph. I've been doing this for about 2 years and have a couple hundred shots. I've been turned down twice.

·
Boobies!
8,172 Posts
Nice portraits!

I always thought the photog had to be a social and empathetic person to capture good likenesses.

Street (anonymous) photography is great for a different kind of look at people...

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
Like!

I put it on the calendar. You could probably get a good study on sh!t eating grins around here about now, especially over at Liberty.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Like!

I put it on the calendar. You could probably get a good study on sh!t eating grins around here about now, especially over at Liberty.
I don't go over there. I'm worried I'll burst into flames if I spend too much time on the campus. Hope you and your Missus can make to the Academy. I think it's going to be a decent show.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I just ask. I'm not a shoot without permission guy, at least for the close up portraits. I usually just tell them I'm working on a project and would like to take their photograph. I've been doing this for about 2 years and have a couple hundred shots. I've been turned down twice.
Excellent shots, Vaughn. I think your personality has contributed greatly to what you have accomplished. Not everyone could just walk up to an individual and get them to pose for them. Perhaps I'm wrong about that but I doubt it. Good job!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.