Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the b&w shot of the tressle crossing.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Since I haven't been doing too well with the health and riding situation, I figured I'd start doing some photo walkabouts on the weekends (or sometimes driveabouts) just to try and practice with the DSLR some more. Most of these pics are flawed in numerous ways, but I liked them anyways. My camera is starting to develop a lot of hot pixels for some reason so I apologize for any funny UFOs and stars that may reveal themselves in the pics (I tried to do Picassa type removal on some of the worst ones).

Anyhooooo. . . .here they are for better or for worse. :p PS: I'm not afraid of leopard print thongs, corgis, or O RLYs. RLY :thumbsup:

Went down to the California Foothhill wine country and it had just snowed. Light was horrible, my skills were worse, but even with the powerlines and scarey contrasts I liked these two. It really did fit the mood of the moment as I froze my tail off up there :).

I was coming back from wandering around in the Carson Valley (Nevada) during a quick blizzard and stopped as I really liked these trees. They really showed what it was: Cold and Lonely.

More cold and emptiness. Winter has been long up here.

Grainy, badly composed, but somehow liked it.

Traintracks, snow, and me trying to not slide down the slope.

I love the loneliness of the country around the Eastern Sierras. Every once in a while I get some water too. The horizon is a mess on this one, but oh well.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
These photos don't suck.

The first 2 really impressed me, the last 2 bored me.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Wonderful as usual.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
I can't help it if I don't have millions of tourists and cherry blossoms. :) :) :)

But I agree, they were the "Oh look, a waterfall" shot on the way back home. I couldn't get the foreground due to a lot of asphalt and garbage people had dumped there. But, I've been trying to get better at getting the slow water shots. So, more a practice shot than anything. I'll definitely work on trying to improve these.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Ridgetop said:
... I couldn't get the foreground due to a lot of asphalt and garbage people had dumped there. But, I've been trying to get better at getting the slow water shots. So, more a practice shot than anything. I'll definitely work on trying to improve these.
You might try to include the trash as a design element and a statement.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I always like seeing your photos. Glad to see you're out playing at something. You may not have cheery trees, but you sure have some interesting country. When are you going to get rid of that stuff and back on the bike.

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,351 Posts
Wow! Loved the first two especially, but really like the desolation of the first six in general! The first is especially impressive to me given how hard that exposure must've been with the broken cloud cover, shadows and snow - all at once...good job! Did you mess with it post-processing?

Agree with MB re: adding the trash and garbage as a statement or compositional element in the waterfall shots. Could've been an interesting juxtaposition.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
Holy crap! Those are excellent. I love 'em. Did you do any HDR on them? Some have a dreamlike quality.

PS: Those aren't the Eastern Sierras, that's Mordor.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
The first one is HDRed, the second is heavily played with in PS (mainly to remove a lot of lens flare and some contrast corrections). The other shots are pretty much as is with some curves work and sharpening.

EDIT: I was just looking at my notes. Several of the shots are HDRed with two or three original copies. The sunset shot was one of them. I was looking at the originals and I didn't like the way the ND split came out so I combined a couple of shots.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
I used several filters (ND 4 stops, polarizer, and a mix of split NDs) and camera was set for shade, landscape, and increased sharpening I think. I've got some HDRs I'm going to be posting over the next couple of days. I like the HDR but only if I really tone it down a lot. I've found I really like it when shooting indoor abandoned buildings and heavily overcast days in situtations where the ND filers aren't cutting it.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
i really like the 3rd one.

nice work.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Amazing shots, Ridgey.

Love this one:

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Thanks Dr R. You've been an inspiration for my urban stuff (coming up soon) and I've been doing a lot of walking downtown Reno with my camera recently. I'm really hoping to someday be able to do what you, MB, and others post on this board all the time.

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
The first, third, and the color bridge pictures are money.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts