Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the Washington Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/25/AR2010072502795_pf.html

Freedom of photography: Police, security often clamp down despite public right

By Annys Shin
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, July 26, 2010; B02

A few weeks ago, on his way to work, Matt Urick stopped to snap a few pictures of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's headquarters. He thought the building was ugly but might make for an interesting photo. The uniformed officer who ran up to him didn't agree. He told Urick he was not allowed to photograph federal buildings.

Urick wanted to tell the guard that there are pictures of the building on HUD's Web site, that every angle of the building is visible in street views on Google Maps and that he was merely an amateur photographer, not a threat. But Urick kept all this to himself.

I wonder how MB1 has stayed out of jail...

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Hollywood said:
allow Roebuck and I to pull up a chair and tell you stories...
I know he got the tap at the capitol building after last years DC ride. I was there the same day and didn't have any problems. I do a lot of 'exporing' in abandoned buildings and I've only been questioned once when shooting the outside of a factory. The owner just asked me to be careful and have fun. But I'm waiting for the tap to show up at any time.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
It's cops exceeding their authority because they can

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
The more bothersome aspect to me is the trend of states / localities making it illegal to tape a police officer on duty... and the courts backing them up.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
Andy69 said:
It's cops exceeding their authority because they can
this.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I was a photographer's mate in the Navy and I was stopped from taking pictures of an F-14 accident scene by a base police officer even though I had my photo lab ID signed by the base CO. The only reason he did not pull the film out of my camera is that I promised him he and I both would be on the evening news, with me in jail and him in a hospital.

A quick radio call on his part resolved this issue quickly, and I went back to my job. Still, it made me a bit more reasonable when I became a law enforcement officer. The only time I did not allow photography when I was working was when they tried to get pictures of me interviewing people. My reason then was the interviewee's privacy, not mine.

·
vexatious enigma
4,696 Posts
The laws about public photography seem to be rather flexible depending on who you take photos of. The law is that it is public domain but people seem to make it a gray area blurring what "public" means.

Personally, I have never gotten a tap on the shoulder. I have gotten some mean looks and old people screeching "He better not be taking a picture of me."

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
VaughnA said:
I know he got the tap at the capitol building after last years DC ride. I was there the same day and didn't have any problems. I do a lot of 'exporing' in abandoned buildings and I've only been questioned once when shooting the outside of a factory. The owner just asked me to be careful and have fun. But I'm waiting for the tap to show up at any time.
I had two taps in DC, but the Capitol building was the only annoying one.

Haven't gotten tapped in Chicago.

HW: Lolz. We're on lists.

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
in 2005 i was unlawfully detained for attempting to take pictures of an Amtrak train, for Amtrak's calendar contest.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Never had a problem.

I was kind of bummed when the Park Service started enforcing a no tripod rule around the monuments but I have never even had a problem with that.

·
More carbon fiber please!
791 Posts
MB1 said:
Never had a problem.

I was kind of bummed when the Park Service started enforcing a no tripod rule around the monuments but I have never even had a problem with that.
Crap! BP slick has made it to DC already...

·
Cheese is my copilot
3,876 Posts
A friend of mine, a former staff photographer for the Miami Herald, gets harassed consistently by the Palm Beach police for taking photos and video in the downtown area. Pisses him off no end, and justifiably. Its a freedom of the press issue as far as he's concerned.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Never had a shoulder tap but I did have a Mexican soldier point a gun at me when I tried to photograph el Presidento's yacht while he was on it. I had this big a** telephoto lens that they probably though was a grenade launcher.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
I'd tap that.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
Never a shoulder tap for photography, but I've attracted plenty of attention in places like Norfolk and NYC while driving a boat around loaded with stuff like this:

We try to contact everyone to let them know where we'll be but half the time one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing in places like this. One extended job in NY harbor we had no fewer than 12 different law enforcement agencies approaching us constantly - Park Police, Port Authority, Coast Guard, NY State Police, NJ State Police, Elizabeth PD, Newark PD, Hudson, Richmond, Essex, Union, Middlesex and Kings County sheriffs, even a couple of private security firms. The make it worse I get rather edgy when people in boats start coming up to us when I've got $250k worth of electronics in the water. I've been known to launch projectiles at boats coming up to us when we have divers in the water (learn what Alpha and Diver Down flags mean, *******s). I don't throw things at cops generally, but I do give them an earful. That can get a little hairy sometimes as cops don't like being lectured, but I don't give a rat's ass who you are if you're putting one of my divers in jeopardy because you have a god complex. Usually you can sidestep that kind of thing through liberal use of Channels 13 and 16 and security calls. Most are pretty cool though. Once they find out what we're doing they get pretty interested, not from a security angle but because its not something you see every day.

ok rant off :)

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
i've photographed folks at nude beaches and never got a "shoulder" tap.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts