Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The view is the reward
Joined
·
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Photos: Cycling and driving the "tallest" mountain on earth - Mauna Kea, Hawaii

This report pickups where I left off in January before getting sidetracked with the <a href="http://www.steephill.tv/2006/tour-of-california/">Tour of California Grassy Knoll Project</a> (The final tally was 1733 photos and videos by the way).

The bike ride and drive up Mauna Kea and the view from the top was literally out of this world:

http://www.steephill.tv/2006/mauna-kea/

enjoy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
that's just...god damn. that is unbelievable. definetly a place I got ride before I die. So far, my list is all the hardest tour climbs, & this one. Alpe d'Huez, check. yeah thats it. whats the average grade? I read somewhere that its only around 3-4%, but over 26 miles, there can be pleenty of steep sections i'm sure.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
608 Posts
I would be more impressed if you started cycling from the real bottom of the mountain.
 

·
The view is the reward
Joined
·
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Under ACrookedSky said:
I would be more impressed if you started cycling from the real bottom of the mountain.
Some day when all the oceans dry up and the rest of earth looks like the top of Mauna Kea (and Mars) then somebody else will have the chance to cycle 31,000 feet from the base of Mauna Kea to the summit.... although it wouldn't be as impressive as the tallest climb on Mars (56,000 feet, I believe).
 

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
Joined
·
1,433 Posts
Mars

steephill said:
This report pickups where I left off in January before getting sidetracked with the <a href="http://www.steephill.tv/2006/tour-of-california/">Tour of California Grassy Knoll Project</a> (The final tally was 1733 photos and videos by the way).

The bike ride and drive up Mauna Kea and the view from the top was literally out of this world:

http://www.steephill.tv/2006/mauna-kea/

enjoy.
It looks like another planet. Let me guess: 75 degrees on the bottom, 35 degrees at the top with high winds. I knew a I should have ridden up Mt. Haleakula...oh however its' spelled....when in Maui.... Great photoes
 

·
n00bsauce
Joined
·
13,507 Posts
Brings back a lot of memories. My son was living just south of Hilo when we visited in 2001. His girlfriend worked for the University was able to get us more access to the telescopes at the top. My son took me, my wife and daughter up the mountain in his Suzuki Samurai, no top, in February. At the visitors center we stopped for some acclimation and had to take the air cleaner off to allow the engine to breath better. My son and I rode in the front with my wife and daughter huddled in the back in sleeping bags because the heater couldn't keep them warm (remember, no top). There was a thick mantle of snow on top and the altitude really made us loopy. On the way down we had to stop several times to cool off the brakes. I can't imagine climbing to the top on a bike. The lack of O2 would do me in long before the summit but the visitors center is very doable and someday I plan on it, probably from the Kona coast side in 2010. It is an unworldly place.
 

·
The view is the reward
Joined
·
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One foot of snow forecasted today on Mauna Kea

PaulCL said:
It looks like another planet. Let me guess: 75 degrees on the bottom, 35 degrees at the top with high winds. I knew a I should have ridden up Mt. Haleakula...oh however its' spelled....when in Maui.... Great photoes
You were close on the bottom guess. It was about 80 degrees at sea-level, but we had great weather at the top and little wind. I'd say it was about 55 degrees at the top for us. Today they are suppose to get a foot of snow so you never know!

Big Island weather forecast, March 30th:
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2006/Mar/30/br/br02p.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,876 Posts
steephill said:
Some day when all the oceans dry up and the rest of earth looks like the top of Mauna Kea (and Mars) then somebody else will have the chance to cycle 31,000 feet from the base of Mauna Kea to the summit.... although it wouldn't be as impressive as the tallest climb on Mars (56,000 feet, I believe).
It would be even more impressive if someone rode the 31,000' climb before the oceans dry up.
 

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
Joined
·
5,505 Posts
how fast did you hit on the downhill?
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top