Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Inspired by the "lively" discussion concerning fenders on the Rambouillet phase out thread, and just because I can't seem to resist, how about some photos of bikes kitted out with fenders. They can be touring bikes, commuting bikes, randoneurring bikes, even race bikes that wear fenders and cut off water bottles for those wet training rides. Bonus points for photos in the pouring rain.

I'll start with two:

1) my Landshark, (which I guess I could have put on the panel thread as well - the panels are my family tartan, or at least a reasonable facsimile thereof, by the way)

2)my Atlantis, hanging out on a non-rainy day (other photos are scattered here and there)

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Kirk Fixie........

fully decked out for winter.

Len

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Beautiful Kirk, Len. But you know what they say, winter just isn't winter unless you have 10 cm of snow and studded tires :) I can't wait.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
wayneanneli said:
Beautiful Kirk, Len. But you know what they say, winter just isn't winter unless you have 10 cm of snow and studded tires :) I can't wait.
Or nice cool 68º days like we have. Man I can't wait! It;s hotter than Hell down here!

I can't imagine winter lie that! :D :cryin:

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Old picture........

MB1 said:
Either your house is painted a lovely lavender or you have a white balance problem there Len.
bright mid-day sun, white house & way too much contrast....I was playing trying to get the bike to Pop....I failed!

Len

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ooooh, that is nice

Len J said:
fully decked out for winter.

Len
But, the curvy seat stays? Hmmm, not so sure. I assume those are just for a unique look.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
No.........

oarsman said:
But, the curvy seat stays? Hmmm, not so sure. I assume those are just for a unique look.
they actually have a function.

From Dave's site: http://www.kirkframeworks.com/news.htm 3/4 of the way down.

"The curved seatstays of the Terraplane allow a small amount of vertical movement and are designed to keep the rear tire in firm and constant contact with the surface. Each set of stays is bent by hand to a given radius determined by the size and weight of the rider and the intended use of the bike. The feel and stiffness of the frame is regulated by the amount of bend in the stays. Heavy riders generally would have less bend to allow less movement. Lighter riders would have more bend and more travel.
With the Terraplane option you'll feel more confident cornering and descending, and you'll enjoy true all day comfort. The Terraplane option is available with both fillet brazed and lugged bikes and with most any type of brake system."

Len

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
Scooper - That's a dandy looking Paramount. I've only actually seen a few chrome ones in person. Nice!

·
Decrepit Member
1,811 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
Scooper - That's a dandy looking Paramount. I've only actually seen a few chrome ones in person. Nice!
Thanks! I've always kicked myself for not buying one 35 years ago, and this one showed up on eBay. The seller was the original owner who had bought it new while working in his dad's Schwinn dealership in SoCal as a teenager. He was a factory trained tech, and even though he rode the hell out of it, he kept it in museum condition.

I was damned lucky.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.