Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought some - tags still on. Looked at review section and mixed thoughts on them. Overall rating isn't very good. Some say the chamois ended up cutting them. I have the 2005 model. Can anyone verify whether bad reviews are true. If so, perhaps I should return them.

Thanks

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
X513 said:
Just bought some - tags still on. Looked at review section and mixed thoughts on them. Overall rating isn't very good. Some say the chamois ended up cutting them. I have the 2005 model. Can anyone verify whether bad reviews are true. If so, perhaps I should return them.

Thanks
I have one pair and in my case they have problems for me. Where they end and start the stitching for the chamois they cut into you. I like the fabric and support but the chamois just doesn't work. I bought these in the spring of '05. I use them for short rides only...I prefer my performance ultra shorts by a large margin.

.YMMV

·
Registered
554 Posts
Mine cut me to ribbons. Literally I was bleeding. I was going to throw the f'ing things out but have relegated them to mountain bike duty as I usually don't do that as long and am out of the saddle most of the time.

I've heard of other people not having a problem with them, try 'em and see.

I recently splurged on some Sugoi RS Flex bibs - Man, they're amazing. They get a 10 out of 10 in my book. I'm probably going to get another pair.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a couple of them and have had no such problems. In fact i would by another set
if needed.
But again shorts are like shoes, saddles etc. one persons dream another's nightmare.
Give 'em a shot and feel them out.
Cheers

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,668 Posts
Have two pair with no problems. Well, none with the chamois. One pair has a small wear spot in the fabric where they rubbed on the chamfered edge of my Brooks saddle while I was breaking it in. Now that the saddle is broken in there are no problems.

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,318 Posts
I have the shorts and the bibs. I haven't experienced any of the problems mentioned but everyone's different. The bibs are much better. They keep the chamois in the right spots for me.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,772 Posts
This thread is quite the coincidence since after a 20 miler on Wednesday I was thinking of starting a similar post. The "attack" is for what it does to my a$$. I've had them for about a year and have relegated them to use for short rides when all my other shorts are dirty.

The worst part is the post ride shower. Ouch!

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
I have two pair and not a single problem between them.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
I've got a pair. Not the worst chamois I've tried, but not the best. Usual YMMV stuff.

Using chamois butt'r on seams and on me helps with chafing on any short for long rides.

Also, so does getting shorts that aren't too big for you. If they're not tight, they won't stay put, and that causes chafing. That's why all I ride are bibs now.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Argentius said:
I've got a pair. Not the worst chamois I've tried, but not the best. Usual YMMV stuff.

Using chamois butt'r on seams and on me helps with chafing on any short for long rides.

Also, so does getting shorts that aren't too big for you. If they're not tight, they won't stay put, and that causes chafing. That's why all I ride are bibs now.
to me a good short is one that doesn't require chamois butter on ANY length ride. I did ~110 to 120 miles last weekend in them and didn't even think about the chamois once. Another sign of good shorts is if you don't think about 'em IMO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem with these shorts (the stitching at the edge of the chamois cutting into my buttock). The interesting thing is that I've had these shorts for a couple of years and found them very comfortable until just recently. My wife re-stitched the offending edge of the chamois using lots of closely spaced stitches but to no avail. That comment above about the stinging in the shower really rings true!

Regards,
Bob P.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Bob Pringle said:
I had the same problem with these shorts (the stitching at the edge of the chamois cutting into my buttock). The interesting thing is that I've had these shorts for a couple of years and found them very comfortable until just recently. My wife re-stitched the offending edge of the chamois using lots of closely spaced stitches but to no avail. That comment above about the stinging in the shower really rings true!

Regards,
Bob P.

yeah buddy - ditto!

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
ravenmore said:
yeah buddy - ditto!
Both my wife and I swore off these things long ago. I think it is where they start the stitching. If they could just move it to the back center it might work for me. But as they are they are just plain painful. Never again.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
hm. the blue chamois as in the PRT chamois?
I had a pair of Quest shorts with it, and loved the chamois...
well, till my mom ran it through the washer with fabric softener 5 TIMES IN A ROW :mad:
then the chamois was like, flat, and provided no padding
but never had any problems with chafing, at all.
i did a century in em in the middle of a charity ride and afterwards the only thing i used the chamois butt'r for was for squirting it at my buddy post-ride :D

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
I've been riding Attack bibs and shorts almost exclusively for short rides (60 miles or less) for the past two years (about 8000 miles total) with no problems. I have expensive shorts (Hincapies) for centuries, where I feel a real difference, but I don't want to chew up expensive shorts for any ride less than 100k. I can feel a real difference between expensive shorts and cheap ones on long rides, but for almost all my day-to-day riding I wear attack shorts with no probems from the chamois.

·
SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
1,031 Posts
I have a pair of Attack bibs and Ultra Bibs and cant tell any difference,they've been ok. Now i have some Descente Classic Pro's and they are so much better i'm going to see if Performance has any today and get double points. If not i've seen them online at a few places for $99.

·
Registered
122 Posts
not bad

i have a couple of pairs of them and think they are pretty good. they are decent mid priced bibs. the fabric and stitching are nice and the bibs seem to fit well. they seem to sell briskly at LBS so they must have something redeeming.

i have never experienced a chamois that cuts me but if you prone to such a thing then perhaps you should think twice.

·
Registered
554 Posts
pomole said:
i have a couple of pairs of them and think they are pretty good. they are decent mid priced bibs. the fabric and stitching are nice and the bibs seem to fit well. they seem to sell briskly at LBS so they must have something redeeming.

i have never experienced a chamois that cuts me but if you prone to such a thing then perhaps you should think twice.
I've never had a problem with any other short. I've logged thousands of miles in Castelli, Giordana, Sugoi, and of course my Pearl's. I don't use chamois butter, even on rides of 70 to 100 miles (usually don't go higher than that for single ride mileage).

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
i've got a pair of the bibbed knickers, and bibbed roubaix tights. the tights gave me a saddle sore the size of a big BB right on my sack thanks to a pair of those. run away, flip 'em on ebay, they're rubbish!

go with assos. they're the BOMB! :)

X513 said:

Thanks

1 - 20 of 29 Posts