Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a frame to replace my Salsa Caseroll (the biggest mistake in my bike history) -

The new frame needs to be -

Vertical rear dropouts
130 or 132.5mm spacing
tallish head tube
clearance for at least 32c tires and fenders
durable enough to handle dirt/gravel roads
fender and rear rack mounts

Anybody have a frame like this that you are happy with? If so, what is it because I am on the hunt....

Thanks,

Zach

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
spastook said:
Why didn't you like the Salsa?

I don't want to turn this thread into a bashing the Caseroll thread, but if you search you will see several posts documenting it rather well. In short, the horizontal dropouts are too hard and don't hold a wheel, and the solution causes many other problems.......sorry to be rather short, but is well documented in my history...

·
Registered
994 Posts
Kona Kapu 08

If you can track down a 2008 Kona Kapu frame, it's suit your needs. I say 08 because it has a taller headtube, the 09 now has shorter headtube.

It has vertical dropouts, rack eyelets and front fender eyelets.
Takes mid reach calipers like the Casseroll, so plenty of tire clearance and fender room.

You can read about in my on going thread here.

Feel free to ask anything about it. I was looking at a Casseroll before I lucked out and found the Kapu. I often refer to it as Kona's version of a Casseroll.

Frame retail is around $1000 though. Of course you would have to track one down since it's an 08. But if you ride a 61cm, Sellwood Cycles has one here (scroll down).

If you wanted to spend less, check out Kona's other practical, but fast, road bike frame called the Honky Tonk. Bike Radar has a good review of it here. It's an 09 frame, so easy to get and retails for around $500 frame and steel fork.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.