Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again:

I've been away from this forum for awhile.

Picked up a used 40 cm Cannondale w/650 wheels and a Sora tripple drivertrain for my son to race on next year when he turns 10. I'm thinking that the setup can be better. Please tell me what you think:

Cranks: I think it's a 52/42/30 which is too high. Two other kid's bikes (Speciaized and Ibex) spec their's with either a 48/39 or a 50/36. I'm thinking of getting a 50/34 or 48/34 (if they make one) and mating it with a 13-27 in back. I don't see him needing a triple.

Crank length: Where can I get compact cranks in 160 or 165 mm?

Brifter's: I like the Sora Triple shifters because the reach is adjustable. Should I keep them even though I'll be running a double chainring? Or should I just get a 105 double shifter?

Any thoughts?

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Check your local rules as he has gear restrictions. U17 restrictions in most areas are around 42-14 (6 metre roll-out). Even if you're not dealing with restrictions, it is still a good idea to toss the 52. We all ran a single ring at that age.

Manufacturers sell junior cassettes starting with a 14. If you set it up well, it will have great resale value as you'll be trading up every year and passing it on. 165mm cranks for sure.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.