Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to mix up my commute a little bit to take advantage of the first warm day without rain that we've had in some time. Took a route around the town that took me through the railroad museum and railroad graveyard and since I was on my MTB I decided to check out some new fireroads to get a view of the city. I'm hoping and prayin' that spring may finally be here. Well, except for the fact it's supposed to rain again. Anyway, here's some more Carson City in all its glory.

This is a jerk-line (I didn't name it) wagon for hauling veggies to Virginia City during the Silver Rush of the 1850's and 1860's.

The railroad museum has a working steamer that runs during the day and some very nice restorations inside but I was too late to get there before they closed so I had to settle for the rejects. Can't have everything I guess.

Getting nowhere fast!

Had the MTB and fireroads so had to explore them. Great views of the city and barking dogs who couldn't figure out who or what I was.

Finally ended the day cutting back through the old part of town and the capital grounds. Saw some other folks running around with camera also. Great day for pictures!! The houses were built around 1870.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No rut, but wouldn't want to hit those rails in the wrong way or when the trains are running.

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,668 Posts
Nice pics. I would love to tool around in that town for a while. Looks like tons of stuff to explore. Also, I'm always a sucker for train pictures...

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Looks like a great place to explore on a bike, especially during the early morning or late afternoon hours, when the special quality of the light seems to enhance those old buildings. As someone who's a nut for Victorian architecture, that looks like a real treasure trove. (In the second photo of the second group--the overview of the city--what's that red brick Victorian building in the upper left?)

Here's hoping you'll make it to the train museum one day when the steamer is running >>ahem!<<...

Thanx for posting!

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This may sound funny, but although I photographed it I've never read the sign on it. I'll take a look at it and post future pics and description.

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
The Walrus said:
(In the second photo of the second group--the overview of the city--what's that red brick Victorian building in the upper left?)
Nice pics. I'll chime in about the building. If I remember correct, that is the Paul Laxalt building. At one time it was a post office, and more recently it has been a library. It is really nice architecture.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks RW. You're correct. Checked it out on a wet commute in this morning. It's funny how many times I've looked at the building but ignored the name and plaque. Pretty sad on my part.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Great pictures Ridge, but damn! I'm gonna have Folsom Prison Blues stuck in my head for weeks because of you!

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ha ha! That was my intention! After watching Walk the Line I had that beat stuck in my head for a week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts