Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - used my tax return and got a nice new pair of Topolino wheels. Took them on a 20 mile spin last night - really nice wheels. Their ride is really unique because of the carbon/kevlar spokes that run across the full diameter of the wheel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
ravenmore said:
Hey all - used my tax return and got a nice new pair of Topolino wheels. Took them on a 20 mile spin last night - really nice wheels. Their ride is really unique because of the carbon/kevlar spokes that run across the full diameter of the wheel.
/QUOTE]

Nice wheels Ravenmore.

I always enjoy seeing pics of your bike. It's photogenic. Didn't you have Neuvations on your rig before? How's the ride compare?

I'm thinking about purchasing a Motebecane. Got a frame/geometry spec I can refer to?

Doc

"The mind makes a good servant, but a cruel master." Dion Fortune

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. :)

I wrote a mini review last night after a short 20 mile spin on another message board. I'll cut and paste it here. Yes, my previous wheels were Neuvations. I'm keeping them as backups.

Here's my review from the other site:

BTW - I took the wheels for a 20'ish mile spin tonight too.

My impressions - they cut some of the buzz and road noise. Kinda silky feeling. It's a little hard to put into words. I also went into a corner with some chop in it and the Topo's tracked more smoothly/predictably, to me, than my Neuvations would have. Not as harsh as the Neuvations. They seem stiff enough to me. That was one of my concerns. I hammered on them pretty hard at a couple places but couldn't see or feel any flex. At 200+ pounds I can flex a lot of wheels - so far so good.

It was a little windy, and I noticed the Topo's caught more crosswind than the Neuvations. This puzzled me a little as they have the same rim width, but then I realized the Topo's have a higher spoke count and that must've been why the wind felt like it tugged more. It wasn't bad and wasn't close to causing any problems, but it was a bit noticeable.

The Topo's also didn't feel as fast on the downhills. Neuvations REALLY shine on the downhills. But I did go up one short 18 degree grade hill(we've measured it before). The Topo's felt really snappy here. I stayed a cog or two higher in the rear than I normally do on that hill. The Topo's are almost a pound lighter than the Neuvations so of course the snappy acceleration on the climb makes sense. It was a very noticeable improvement.

I hit one pothole tonight, hard enough to make me wince - darn street lights makes them harder to see sometimes. The wheels didn't seem to have any problems with it. One reason I went ahead and bought these wheels is that they are supposed to be strong enough for everyday use even for bigger riders. In fact talking to people I only heard one guy mention anything about broken spokes, and that involved a crash. People who've ridden them say they are indeed pretty durable. I'm sure I'll put that to the test.....

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you're right - I couldn't find too many online dealers for these. I ended up using Biketiresdirect.com. They seemed to have the best price, and included a set of Pro Race 2's with the wheels in addition to free shipping.

·
Racial Profiler
348 Posts
ravenmore said:
Are you sure they are carbon / kevlar? They look kind of like twisty-ties from a bread sack.

Very nice - I actually just got some new wheels for my Moto. Nothing as snazzy as yours, just some silver Dura-Ace / Open Pros. If the wind ever quits blowing at 40mph I'll take some pictures.

Not Tax Return funded - mine are Ebay sales funded.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wasserbox said:
Are you sure they are carbon / kevlar? They look kind of like twisty-ties from a bread sack.

Very nice - I actually just got some new wheels for my Moto. Nothing as snazzy as yours, just some silver Dura-Ace / Open Pros. If the wind ever quits blowing at 40mph I'll take some pictures.

Not Tax Return funded - mine are Ebay sales funded.
Lol - yes, carbon and kevlar. :) The looks get mixed reviews - seems to be either a love or hate response. They are effective at smoothing out rough roads. The effect is really pleasant on chip seal.

Sadly, my Moto may be retired here soon. I just got invited to be on a local team and one of the requirements is that I ride one of the sponsors bikes. So I'm probably going to get one of their frames and transfer the Moto's parts over to it. Its the least expensive way to do it. They'll make me a super nice deal on the frame. Sad to see the Moto go. Its really a sharp bike and is a blast to ride. Plus I really have it dialed in right now.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
update on the wheels. Unfortunately its not all good. I had a race about a month ago so I took my bike to the shop for a tune up. During the tune up one of the mechanics noticed my rear wheel was out of true. I looked and sure enough, he was right. Not only that, but it was at that point I discovered the wheels can only be trued via a 5.5 mm driver through the holes in the rim. Which the shop I was at didn't have. Uuuugh. I went to two other shops before I found one with the tool (I've since bought the proper tool myself). I had the wheel trued, then raced a couple days later. I knocked the wheels out of true again during the race - 25 miles on very smooth roads. So I called the manufacturer.

Jason at Topolino was the person who answered the phone. He sounded genuinely shocked. He paid for me to ship the wheels back to him. They fixed the wheels (didn't say exactly what they did except true and dish them) and sent them back. I received them last week. I put ~100 miles on them over the weekend. Not enough to tell yet but so far so good. Maybe my initial problems were a fluke? Who knows. I'm hard on wheels. A couple weeks later and I destroyed my Neuvations in a race by pulling a spoke through the hub flange - see:

I am, I have to admit, the only person in all my research that I've heard about having a problem. Between Jason at Topolino and some of the guys at weightweenies.starbike.com, I was talked into giving them one more try. We'll see how they do - maybe it was just a fluke.

BTW - I did hit about 60mph on them over the weekend on a long decent. :D Wheeeeee! ;)

·
Registered
484 Posts
Not topolino wheels but my spinergy xyclones on the mtb I had were a similar nut driver sort of set up. When trueing wheels with the fiber spokes you have to make sure you're just turning the nut and not twisting the spoke at all because it will look good in the stand but once ridden the spoke will untwist and go right back to where it was. The other thing is they were probably just settling in or whetever you want to call it as everything shifts to where it wants to be it will put a small wobble in em in the first couple rides then should be good after trued properly.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah - I understand going though the rim to true 'em. The odd sized tool required to do it threw me off a bit. Wouldn't have been a big deal except I had a race in a couple days and needed the wheels, so I needed it done fairly quickly.

I'm hoping the same thing - that the wheels just needed to settle in and there won't be any more issues.

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
contact john neugent at neuvationcycling.com...you might get a free rear replacement out of it....just be nice and explain exactly what happend...he's a strong believer that he's got a good product..

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bahueh said:
contact john neugent at neuvationcycling.com...you might get a free rear replacement out of it....just be nice and explain exactly what happend...he's a strong believer that he's got a good product..
Thanks - already done and yes, John sent me a replacement wheel for free. His customer service is top notch. I like the Neuvations a lot, I think I'm just a bit big for such a low spoke count wheel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts