Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
MB1 said:
Well here is a BD bike that has been ridden. Got it a year ago and have put on 2400 tough miles. I'm a 210lb rider and like to mash up the hills. Love the bike. Rides as comfortably as my Steel Raleigh Super Course. I replaced the Shamino 550 wheels with Velocity Areohead rims with Sapim CX-Ray spokes. The wheels rock. Replaced the cheap saddle with a Specialized BG Alias.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
That big chip on your shoulder is going to mess up your aerodynamics.

Based on how you had to jury rig that bike stem, spacers, and saddle height wise I'd say this is potentially another example of the risk of BD -- an ill-fitting bike.

YMMV. Enjoy your bike, but really, get over the "shill" thing. I read those threads and you are definitely overreacting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
baylor, why bother posting? did you add anything constructive to the discussion? amazing--you can tell all that from that lousy picture? must be some sort of bicycle savant.

Folks, i get it--some people dont like BD. my understanding--or should i say misunderstanding was that this section of the forum was to discuss MB not merely vent the respective spleens of those who don't like BD---with a passion that is surprising since none of them ever seem to have actually done business with them--just seem to dislike the way they do business. fair enough, but why do you feel the need to harangue those who don't share your opinion? how about some examples of BD's alleged bad faith and double dealing? absent that--take a deep cleansing breath and move on.
i am tired of the snipes and criticism. all started with a newbie member to the forum expressing his opinion and then watching the BD bashing begin each and every time. did i over react? maybe--but i wonder how the negative posters would react if to their next post the first reply out of the box was to call them a liar and then a constant stream of thinly veiled.
especially funny--after following the sound advice of the moderator on "how not to be a shill" 1. post fotos 2. post ride reports--the first response was another personal criticism. clearly there is no winning with this group.

thanks to those who posted intelligent and helpful comments.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Here's what I don't get. If you post on this forum about MB or BD, you get identified as a shill. The reasoning is that since you never posted before and then suddenly say something nice about your new MB or other BD bike you have to be a shill. Pretty black and white, except for this: Before I got my bike I never had a reason to post on this forum.

And you can do a search of my user name and find a post from late July in which I needed input about a rear derailleur or chain issue. That was my first post and interestingly enough I posted that a few days after I got my bike. I don't know, these geniuses who keep slamming BD customers don't seem to be smart enough to figure that one out.

Anyway, I'm off to do 30 miles today and I need to save my energy for that. I've got 2 hills to climb. I will climb the front and back of hill # 1, once on the way out and once on the way back, and then climb the front only of the much steeper hill # 2. I'll turn around at the top of hill # 2 and head back home. My 18 lb MB Le Champion sure makes climbing fun. I'm to the point now where I can actually accelerate up these hills. That's a bona fide stoke.

Fortunately where I live I can do this ride on rec trails and never once have to deal with car traffic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
i hear you. other question is if they hate BD so much why not complain to the managment at roadbikereview and get them to stop accepting the Bd ad dollars?

enjoy the hilly ride. at 200 lbs + i am not a big fan of the hills.

i just did the tour de greenwhich this morning--great course, great weather (FYI: presence of my MB did not incite a riot as i would have thought given the postings here). was unfamiliar with the course but posted a respectable time for the 20 mile route. i did start a thread in the regional ride forum about the race--wonder if i will get slammed there too? better not tell them i rode the race on an MB.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
fran2537 said:
baylor, why bother posting? did you add anything constructive to the discussion? amazing--you can tell all that from that lousy picture? must be some sort of bicycle savant.

Folks, i get it--some people dont like BD. my understanding--or should i say misunderstanding was that this section of the forum was to discuss MB not merely vent the respective spleens of those who don't like BD---with a passion that is surprising since none of them ever seem to have actually done business with them--just seem to dislike the way they do business. fair enough, but why do you feel the need to harangue those who don't share your opinion? how about some examples of BD's alleged bad faith and double dealing? absent that--take a deep cleansing breath and move on.
i am tired of the snipes and criticism. all started with a newbie member to the forum expressing his opinion and then watching the BD bashing begin each and every time. did i over react? maybe--but i wonder how the negative posters would react if to their next post the first reply out of the box was to call them a liar and then a constant stream of thinly veiled.
especially funny--after following the sound advice of the moderator on "how not to be a shill" 1. post fotos 2. post ride reports--the first response was another personal criticism. clearly there is no winning with this group.

thanks to those who posted intelligent and helpful comments.
Why not?

Actually, I think I bring some impartial observer feedback to this discussion. Some folks here are oversensitive to new posters praising BD. They say that they are paranoid based on BD's history of sending in "shills" (I actually had only heard that word before in connection with eBay) with fake user IDs. Dunno, haven't really followed the brouhaha. I also have no opinion of BD, really, except that I think unless you know what you are doing buying over the net can be risky.

You are one of the people that got hit with some skepticism and now YOU are the one that can't let it go. So, yeah, I decided to tweak you about it. The fact that it looks like your bike is one size too small was just the cherry on top.

But don't yourself keep twisting the lion's tail and expect people not to react, that's totally hypocritical.

Good day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
baylor said:
Why not?

They say that they are paranoid based on BD's history of sending in "shills" (I actually had only heard that word before in connection with eBay) with fake user IDs. .
baylor, I'm in. But before I put that second foot into the brew I'd like to know just exactly how you know that BD is sending in shills. This "history" you write about should be easily verifiable so go ahead and post it here, would ya? I think it would make for some very interesting reading, if you catch my drift.

As for me, branded for life as I am, your moderators know my ip address, or can ask the web master for it. It will show that I'm a long way from Houston or Dallas. In fact the web master can go back and match my ip address to every visit I've ever made to this site starting back in maybe late June. I forget. Back then I was just reading reviews and I read a lot of them for each of several different brands of bikes I was looking to purchase. But it's all right there...every visit I ever made here and the length of those visits.

One thing about the truth, it trumps bashing, lies, and conjecture.

But that doesn't change the fact that I am....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
some impartial observer feedback

interesting way to characterize your weighing in.
first-the self admitted "tweaking" with the express purpose of getting under my perceived thin skin.
second- the very emphatic and precise statements about improper fitting from an unclear digital image and without any information about the rider.
third--the comment "another example of the risk of BD" Implies that there are a legion of other reasons. which may be true but which you have simply alluded to. if you have some impartial observer feedback--share it. again, real examples of bad behavior by BD.

what part of that was "some impartial observer feedback?"
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,696 Posts
fran2537 said:
. if you have some impartial observer feedback--share it. again, real examples of bad behavior by BD.
Fran2537, I'm sorry you got sucked into this problem. The BikeDirect shill problem is very real...Just yesterday, the CEO of BD posted under the user name bikesdirect. His post was very well written and he seemed to answer a lot of questions. There is one small problem.....His internet IP is the same as a well known BikeDirect shill that was banned a couple of week ago. Does that mean that the CEO is a shill? Who knows..maybe he as posting from a work computer but someone at BD has/is posting as a shill.........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
amazing--i am afraid to even get on my BD bike after all that i have seen posted here. expect it to burst into flames as soon as i clip into my pedals.

from one alleged shill to another--enjoy the bike.

funny thing is-i agree with the general complaint MB1 and others make about shill postings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
Fran2537, I'm sorry you got sucked into this problem. The BikeDirect shill problem is very real...Just yesterday, the CEO of BD posted under the user name bikesdirect. His post was very well written and he seemed to answer a lot of questions. There is one small problem.....His internet IP is the same as a well known BikeDirect shill that was banned a couple of week ago. Does that mean that the CEO is a shill? Who knows..maybe he as posting from a work computer but someone at BD has/is posting as a shill.........
Dave, that is so interesting. Actually his post wasn't that well written. There were tons of grammatical errors and misspelled words. But no matter, what matters is that you have identified him as shill in your latest shill hunt. That's way cool. You also mention that the poster's ip address is the same as a shill from a couple of weeks ago. This is my point exactly. You, or the web master, knows my ip address. You know that I'm posting from about as far away from BD central as is possible and yet you post this troll the other day:

"Please post a picture of your new Moto...I would love to see it...

or better yet, how about a ride report?
__________________
Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth, TX
L I V E S T R O N G
"back in the good 'ole days when bikes were steel and breasts were real!"- Fredrico"

My question is so simple, if you knew my ip address then you had to have concluded that I probably was not a BD shill and yet you send out the troll anyway.

What's with that?

And here's something else I don't get. I have been a member of an outdoor oriented forum for a number of years. In the winter it's all about skiing. In the summer the focus shifts to mountain biking, road biking, kayaking, backpacking, and anything else you can do outside during the warmth of summer. It's a very supportive forum. When people ask questions or join anew they are greeted with friendly responses. In the 6 or 7 years that I've been a forum member I have rarely seen any flaming, bashing, etc. You ask a question and you will get an answer. I don't bother to post much anymore because there are so many people willing to answer questions there that there really isn't a need for me to do so. But it's all positive and supportive. The people may use different skis but no one seems to care. And the companies that advertise on the site are all internet based. No one seems to mind if someone buys their gear from one of those outfits, either.

The funny thing is that all the advertisers on Road Bikes Review are internet based. Okay, some of them have a storefront some where but they are still internet based. Funny thing is that there's a lot of internet business going on all the time.

So why do you guys feel that you need to single out BD? I don't get it.


Sorry. Didn't edit the way I wanted so I'm inserting this here:

I just want to add this one last thing. Last year, in the summer of 2005, I started thinking about a new bike. I hadn't yet injured my foot so I didn't really get into it. But I did find this site at that time. I visited here then and read a few reviews. I don't remember much more than that I found this site and visited a couple of times. I don't remember once hitting the "Forums" tab on the home page but I might have. It was a year ago. My point is that my ip trail is there. You can ask your web master and he can track it down. And if you do that you will see that I just visited here and that's about it. I became much more serious this summer and so visited here a lot during the month of June and especially July. But, and I could be wrong on this, I never hit the forums tab until I had that derailleur problem back in late July.

So if I'm a shill for BD then I'm a very crafty shill. I set in motion the events that led up to my post of the other day over a year ago. Who'd a' thunk I could be so smart?


And don't forget that I'm ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
I just want to add this one last thing. Last year, in the summer of 2005, I started thinking about a new bike. I hadn't yet injured my foot so I didn't really get into it. But I did find this site at that time. I visited here then and read a few reviews. I don't remember much more than that I found this site and visited a couple of times. I don't remember once hitting the "Forums" tab on the home page but I might have. It was a year ago. My point is that my ip trail is there. You can ask your web master and he can track it down. And if you do that you will see that I just visited here and that's about it. I became much more serious this summer and so visited here a lot during the month of June and especially July. But, and I could be wrong on this, I never hit the forums tab until I had that derailleur problem back in late July.

So if I'm a shill for BD then I'm a very crafty shill. I set in motion the events that led up to my post of the other day over a year ago. Who'd a' thunk I could be so smart.
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top