Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
What's the big deal? Crews are probably working on the shoulder and have the bike lane closed so that bikes have to merge into the road- the sign being to alert motorists.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
They had about 10 of these in the bike lane, Flagman ahead, road construction ahead ect. they were working in the center of the street putting in a new sewer manhole. There was plenty of room between the sidewalk and the bike lane where they could have put these. They do this all the time, this was a busy street, 45 MPH turning into 55 in a few hundred feet.

·
Registered
525 Posts
They had about 10 of these in the bike lane, Flagman ahead, road construction ahead ect. they were working in the center of the street putting in a new sewer manhole. There was plenty of room between the sidewalk and the bike lane where they could have put these. They do this all the time, this was a busy street, 45 MPH turning into 55 in a few hundred feet.
Hmmm... your tax dollars at work.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Just curious. Are you complaining that the city has signs to tell motorists that cyclists will be in the main lane for traffic, and that it is perfectly acceptable?

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Just curious. Are you complaining that the city has signs to tell motorists that cyclists will be in the main lane for traffic, and that it is perfectly acceptable?
No, he's complaining that they put the signs in the shoulder lane, thus necessitating that cyclists ride in the main lane, when that could have been avoided with more sensible sign placement.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
No, he's complaining that they put the signs in the shoulder lane, thus necessitating that cyclists ride in the main lane, when that could have been avoided with more sensible sign placement.
Maybe the signs are in the bike lane so that the cyclists enter the main lane. That is why the sign is there telling other vehicles to watch out for cyclists in the main lane.

If there was no need for the cyclists to ever enter the main lane, I understand. If not, think of these signs serving the purpose of cones on the highway. They guide you into another lane long before you NEED to change lanes. These signs are doing the same. I'm super impressed that they actually have signs specifically addressing cyclists!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see these signs blocking the bike lane almost every week. There is always plenty of room on the shoulder to put them rather than in the bike lane. Saw another one blocking the bike lane today.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I see these signs blocking the bike lane almost every week. There is always plenty of room on the shoulder to put them rather than in the bike lane. Saw another one blocking the bike lane today.
Seems like there has been a failure to grasp that the sign is the only thing forcing you out of the bike lane; not work down the road blocking the bike lane. However, kudos to the road crew for making the sign accurate ;)

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
The only thing that could make that shot better is a big honking storm grate in the middle of the bike lane

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
In a similar vein... lots of construction going on here. Most construction flag personnel will actually let a bike get a head start on the cars going through a construction zone. I find that to be damn courteous of them.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Seems like there has been a failure to grasp that the sign is the only thing forcing you out of the bike lane; not work down the road blocking the bike lane. However, kudos to the road crew for making the sign accurate ;)
I read that the crews were working in the middle of the road. What I didn't read was whether or not traffic had to be rerouted, and ultimately into the far right lane and bike lane. That would require that all traffic merge. This would avoid any confusion about whether or not the car traffic was allowed to cross over into the bike lane.

Posting a pic, without sufficient information creates responses that could justify the picture. I wouldn't have responded,Iff the picture was accompanied by text stating: these signs are in the bike lane, BUT traffic is never directed such that there is a need to move out of the bike lane.

This is the internet, clarity is important or inferences may differ from implications.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts