Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

441 - 460 of 533 Posts

·
Working on my spin...
3 Posts
My Orbea - 2007 Lobular with 2011 Campagnolo Chorus

Hi All,

Here's me new bike, Orbea Lobular with full 2011 Campagnolo Chorus & Campangolo Zonda wheels with Vittoria Zaffiro Pro tires. Deda Elementi’s Zero 100 bar, stem & post round out the cockpit with a Selle SanMarco Aspide Racing saddle. Lizarard Skins DSP 2.5 bar tape in Orange wrap the bars for that extra bike-bling. Pedals are from my old rig, Look PP396 Laurent Jalabert Special Editions.

I bought the frame new from "that auction site on the web". It's a 2007 model with Zeus carbon stays and fork. Then I sent it over to Tom at GVH Bikes in Hood River, Oregon for the components & final build. Just going by feel, the overall weight is lighter than the 2004 Kestrel Talon with Shimano Ultegra 9-speed I'm coming off of.

The way it rides is spectacular...the Lobular is so much more lively than I'm used to & the Zondas spin-up so fast. This is my first exposure to Campagnolo & you can consider me a convert. The shift feel is very crisp with an action lighter than my (older) Ultegra. The carbon parts are absolutely beautiful to look at. I went with a compact crank which, combined with the 12-25 11-speed sprocket, should be all the help I need on my hills.

Fed-Ex dropped her off last Sunday & I have about 70 miles or so on her since then. There's nothing like the joy a new bike brings...you feel like a kid all over again! It was like Christmas in the summer!

Thanks for letting me share. Make it a great ride...

·
Hanging 10 bra
1,125 Posts
Here is my brand new Orbea Opal. I already have black tape for the bars but not yet installed. I am very happy with the new bike with the insane sprinting ability and super light weight frame. My new FSA carbon bottle cages havent come in yet but I have 2 new orbea bottles ready to install...

·
Registered
16 Posts
It came down to a 58cm Trek Madone 3.1, a 58cm Felt Z6 or a 57cm Orbea Onix T105. The design, paint scheme and finish of the Orbea complemented the fine fit and smooth ride. While all three were very nice rides, I think the 2011 Orbea Onix T105 was the right choice for me.

·
Registered
999 Posts
It's just a cell phone photo, but here is my 2008 Opal. Either the frame or the wheels may be going soon, as this is one pretty harsh riding bike.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I believe the Opal of that era was designed to be the stiffest frame in the Orbea line. Not that Euskaltel-Euskadi has ever had a sprinter, but, if they had, they would have used the Opal. I think they've redesigned it for American criteriums since then (not sure what characteristics that entails, however).

·
Hanging 10 bra
1,125 Posts
Yeah I have to say my Opal is stiff and I love it. Its super agressive. I need another set of Reynolds for it too, maybe I can snag yours haha.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #455
Heres some pics of my Opal that I just got off ebay. Its my 2nd opal. I love the paint jobs from 2006. I sold the first a couple of years ago and have regretted it so when this appeared on ebay a couple of weeks ago I had to get it..I added the fork from an Orca which has helped stiffen the front end up and make it much more comfortable to ride. Weighs in at 16.1 lbs

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #456
My Orca.

441 - 460 of 533 Posts