Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been asked to do a 30 minute presentation of pictures from my recent trip to Europe. The presentation will be an executive peer group I belong to.

I have no idea what to include or exclude form this.......

How many pics?
How much verbiage?
What should I focus on?

You all have seen some od the 1100 pics I ended up with, so any and all advice appreciated. I don't know where to start.

Thanks

Len

·
No hero that's understood
6,100 Posts
As hard as it is, I think I'd keep it to 20 pictures or less. As you well know, 1 1/2 minutes of talking per slide isn't much. I think I would work chronologically through the trip, show the most impressive picture or pictures from that segment of the trip and tell what they mean and why they created a lasting memory for you.

I picked chronologically because I thought it would be easier to remember and recite the trip that way.

Another way to group them would be to compare time periods across country and show a sampling of a particular period and describe how the architecture or culture varied by country.

Just a couple quick ideas. Please feel free to ignore when you get better ideas.

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
It's a business group, are you going to just do a travelogue, or try to share some bidness wisdom?

·
done
3,293 Posts
Narrow it down to 2 dozen photos. Hire 2 dozen strippers. Have the photos printed on their chests, above their breasts. Everyone gets a 1-minute lap dance per photo. This should give you enough time for discussion. 100% success and you'll be the most popular kid at school.

EDIT: I guess this would only work if you have 24 people in your audience. How many is it going to be? Don't forget to get one for yourself.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,225 Posts
Len J said:
I don't know where to start.

Start with the story.

Use pics to illustrate the story. To tell the story. As punch lines. As beautiful images. To illustrate size, or color, or street life.

But the story comes first. That's true no matter what the audience or topic.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
So in other words you are being punished for taking a vacation? :D

I've done this for family and the boredom factor kicks in quickly. I suggest picking the photos with the biggest punch, focus on specific, interesting landmarks and interiors, avoid a lot of scenery and just talk about the pictures as they go by.

A bit of history always helps. That's the comment I hear all the time about my travel blog and the pictures I include - "winter palace, built blah blah at a cost of blah, Tsarist family, Russian Revolution". People love perspective.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Len J said:
I don't know where to start.
At the beggining (sorry couldn't resist)

Actually start at the end, what is the point you are trying to make, that bcomes your objective; then storyboard your presentation by defining how you are going to reach your objective, from there I would actually find the pictures to tell your story and then add the words.

For instance, if what you are trying to tell the audience is you took a nice bike ride in Europe, then what photos say that? Well, the photos on your ride, then you can describe some of the interesting things on your ride. You also had to rent a bike, so show photos of yu renting the bike. You had to fuel yourself, so photos of you eating.

Now we are at the beggining, why did you have to ride? Perhaps your car broke down and you needed to get to the destination.

Do not go longer than 20 minutes; good presentations are brief. As mentioned 1.5 minutes per slide; each slide should have 3 to 5 bullets and you talk to the bullets.

Good luck

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
could you get this ready for saturday please?

if you go chrono, i would strat with a map of the trip and use that as a landmark between each group of photos.

if you go with architecture, i would do that in historical chrono.

you dont want to show too many, just the cream, of the crop. and make sure they are different enough to justify their use. i would just have a title on each slide and speak to it. unless they want this thing portable.

for humor sake, flip the first image upside-down and pretend you have to go to the projector/computer and flip the slide the right way. people under 30 might not get it, but those that do will appreciate your effort.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
weltyed said:
for humor sake, flip the first image upside-down and pretend you have to go to the projector/computer and flip the slide the right way. people under 30 might not get it, but those that do will appreciate your effort.
In my old briefing days with the 35mm slides, I used to insert one that would make the projector go dark, as if something was worng with the projector; but since the paper copy was always in front of the main person I was briefing to, I would turn the page to the correct slide I was on and continue the briefing looking so cool as I wasn't phased by a technical malfunction, then the next click of the red button would bring up the correct slide and malfunction fixed. Always kept the audience on it's toes and showed of my "never let them see you sweat" demeanor.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
A good photographer is known by the size of his trash can..........

·
Registered
658 Posts
I think that you should slip that pick of HW's @$$ in there somewhere. Or any other of those creepy pics for that matter.

·
Roll Out Jeremy
1,785 Posts
My standard process

The format depends on what they want or expect. However, to put the thing together I always use MS Photo Story 3. Its easy, free, and has about 30 minute limit (300 pics). Drag and drop your music in, edit, crop and adjust your pictures. It simplifies the whole thing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts