Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any pictures from the Tour that you are happy with? I'm pretty new to cycling and photography, so these are some I'm happy with from the last stage- in spite of the shutter speed being too slow and probably many other problems. Cheers!

·
Lesper4
229 Posts

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
6th one would be awesome if it's cropped to just show AC and can be put in a higher resolution/or larger size afterwards. Thanks for sharing the pics.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lesper-

Wow. Those photos are really impressive combinations of timely shots, crisp focus, and close-up/well zoomed images ... amongst other things.

The shot of Tyler Farrar is really evocative. And image 15 on the first link, featuring the rider being bandaged while he continues cycling, with blood (presumably his?) splattered all over the medics motorcycle - definitely inspires respect.

In picture 38, Mario Aerts is looking pretty pleased about the kiss he's about to receive from Miss France (I'm sure winning the combativity prize had nothing to do with his pleasure). Haha- hears to victory :)

And that image of Shleck reflected in Contador's shades- wow. It does leave me a little frustrated/unsettled as a Shleck fan; I mean, it is almost diminutive ... which is all the worse since Shleck couldn't prove himself better than Contador.

And great shots capturing the backdrop for the race! Wow. Thank you for pointing me in this direction.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh-

and yes, watching the final stage was amazing! I had the good fortune of being surrounded by jovial, knowledgeable fans from around the world- including a French gentleman who has been watching the final stage in person since 1965! So, as well as the exhilaration of watching the cyclists, the ambiance was also fantastic. ... This was my first try at photographing sports/fast moving objects. D*** it is quite a thing to see humans propel themselves at such speeds!

·
Never Give Up!
1,232 Posts
lesper4; those are great photos....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow- Spookyload, those are pretty crisp images ... and close up. Did you only watch Stage 8 and the final stage or did you watch the whole Tour? From your pics on photobucket, it looks like an amazing experience and ambiance! Cheers!

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Stage 8 and Paris only. Mountain stages made for great pictures. I use a 18-55mm lens and they came by so close it was pretty fun getting good shots. The slow speed was a definate bonus. It was a hot long climb after three other hot long climbs. My Paris pics didn't come out as good. Lots of group shots to pick people out of.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Nice pics. Too bad you couldn't snag a pic of Jens while he was on the yellow bike still. That would have rocked. He looks beat to hell in the picture you got still.

·
always right sometimes
1,832 Posts
I don't know why, but for some reason the pics seem way cooler when taken by RBR members!

I have a cool shot (slide) of Lance on stage 18 of TdF from 2001. ITT day. He won that day.

I waited for 4 hours. Sunny all day long and started to rain 5 minutes before Lance passed by.

Got a good shot though!

·
Professional Lurker
68 Posts
rydbyk said:
I don't know why, but for some reason the pics seem way cooler when taken by RBR members!

I have a cool shot (slide) of Lance on stage 18 of TdF from 2001. ITT day. He won that day.

I waited for 4 hours. Sunny all day long and started to rain 5 minutes before Lance passed by.

Got a good shot though!
Thanks! We thought about waiting at the top of the Tourmalet, but decided to watch them here. This was a much better vantage.

Do you have the pic of LA in a format that you could post? Love to see it.

·
Boobies!
8,163 Posts
Nice shots everyone and thanks for sharing.

Jevagirl, one trick that I practiced a lot is framing the subject and moving the camera so they stay framed--that way the background blurs and the cyclist (or whatever) stays in focus, even with a slower shutter speed (which you may want to get a group in focus). You want a smooth tracking motion (ie no shake).

I'm jealous of everyone who has seen any or all of the Tour--especially Paris--and this year I made a promise to myself that I will be there soon.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow- what an amazing trip, AcesFull! Great pictures too.

Paredown- thanks for the advice. That is really helpful- I understand the different result that "technique" allows for and I like it. I also appreciate your emphasis on practicing :)

Probably to frame and follow riders effectively in Paris, I would have needed to have studied the final stage/the Tour a little more because the riders passed by so quickly that it took a few laps for me to understand what I was seeing and to be able to anticipate the order ...hmmm ... well, lots for me to learn; I'm not complaining :) Thanks!

·
always right sometimes
1,832 Posts
paredown said:
Nice shots everyone and thanks for sharing.

Jevagirl, one trick that I practiced a lot is framing the subject and moving the camera so they stay framed--that way the background blurs and the cyclist (or whatever) stays in focus, even with a slower shutter speed (which you may want to get a group in focus). You want a smooth tracking motion (ie no shake).

I'm jealous of everyone who has seen any or all of the Tour--especially Paris--and this year I made a promise to myself that I will be there soon.

It is called "panning".:thumbsup:

·
Professional Lurker
68 Posts
Great trip

jevagirl said:
Wow- what an amazing trip, AcesFull! Great pictures too.
Thanks jeva, I'm thrilled that you enjoyed them. We had a wonderful time and really lucked out on the weather. We rented and R/V in Lyon and basically just rode and drank wine for 12 days. All of our best experiences came with locals in the middle of absolutely nowhere France.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts