Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this a year or more back when I had new 2004 Chorus on it, and some Delta brakes.

I managed to get some NOS 8 speed record hubs and a rear mech, mirage old style campy ergo's (all I could find), a C Record chainset etc. I think this kit goes better as the carbon component has been removed. Sadly the deltas had to go too as they rubbed on the tyre due to a clearence issue.

I love this bike, sadly my photographic skills just don't do it justice, especially the wonderfull purlpe flam paint! I've posted an older picture that shows this a little better.

Hope you approve.

Dannyboy.

· Incredibly slow
581 Posts
Hey, even bad pictures (and these aren't) of a nice Hetchins are better than great pictures of some generic TIG'd aluminum monstrosity. Very nice bike. I wonder how much time is needed to clean up the lugs after brazing.

· Devoid of all flim-flam
7,365 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I love the bike, but the straight fork seems oddly sedate and out of place. Is it original? When you ride the bike, does the front end match the back in terms of ride and rigidity?

· Registered
714 Posts
i've heard the storika

saddle is the official saddle of the spanish inquistion, is it tolerable for you?

great ride, is it a bob jackson leeds shop recent frameset?

DannyBoy said:
I posted this a year or more back when I had new 2004 Chorus on it, and some Delta brakes.

I managed to get some NOS 8 speed record hubs and a rear mech, mirage old style campy ergo's (all I could find), a C Record chainset etc. I think this kit goes better as the carbon component has been removed. Sadly the deltas had to go too as they rubbed on the tyre due to a clearence issue.

I love this bike, sadly my photographic skills just don't do it justice, especially the wonderfull purlpe flam paint! I've posted an older picture that shows this a little better.

Hope you approve.

Dannyboy.

· Registered
714 Posts
i've heard the storika

saddle is the official saddle of the spanish inquistion, is it tolerable for you?

it does look thematicaly aprpos.

great ride, is it a bob jackson leeds shop recent frameset?

DannyBoy said:

Hope you approve.

Dannyboy.

· Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The for did come with the frame. It's one of David Millers new builds, about 2 years old. I know Hetchins traditionally had curved forks but I had a bit of a thing for straight forks. If I had my time again I would have traditional forks and have the gear cable bosses on the down tube.

It rides really well. For a heavy bike (made of Reynolds 753 for that extra nostalgia factor) it's very responsive. I cannot tell any difference between the steel fork and a carbon Columbus Carve that's on my steel Roberts.

· Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I find the Storkia fairly comfortable. I have SLR's on my other rides and it's a bit less flexible than them.

I'm not sure who actually made it. I don't think Hetchins in it's modern incarnation outsources to Bob J's - which I think they'd done on and off for many years. You'd find out more about new production on www.hetchins.org there are also a bunch of great pix and articles on that.

David Miller has the legal rights to the marque and is a long time owner and enthusiast, so this isn't one of the many Replicas.

I'm toying with getting another with traditional forks etc in the next 12 months or so - probably as a fixie like this one............

· Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It rides very very well. For one thing it was clearly made to measure which helps. It is much heavier than any 'modern' bike but is as I say a great ride. Way more comfy than my crappy alu/carbon race bike - which I never ride, sticking to steel.

The straight fork suprised me. The feel is no different to my carbon forked steel bikes which have Reynolds and Columbus forks. The curly stays are just a gimmick and I doubt they affect ride quality one way or the other.

The Grammo stem with a slight rise gives a nice sensible position too. The close clearences and short wheel base make it quite snappy.

· Registered
704 Posts
Hi Danny

You have to go a long way to beat Hetchins for sheer class! I got to drool over a couple, plus some of Bob Jackson's 'Classic' variation at the BJ shop last year - some folk go to the likes of Niagra Falls on holidays, I went to Bob Jackson's ;)

The only thing nicer than seeing photos is seeing the real thing up close! The relationship between BJ and Hetchins is fairly complex, but above board - I recall them mentioning that after Alf H. passed away, a couple of his builders worked for Bob Jackson for a while and there has been a fair amount of cross-coupling ever since. Main thing is, two famous and long-running names are still with us, still building and not as ali. clones from the PacRim - that has to be worth it, surely.

Have decided that my next major birthday - and it's only three years away - am going to get me either a Hetchins or BJ classic, rig it with all alloy components, Campag drivetrain and - being as 60 year olds don't tend to rush around much (and I have a BJ for that ;) ) - either downtube or bar end shifters. Maroon overall, with pale cream headtube and seat-tube panelling, plus lots of lovely chrome. Hope they're still making them in three years...

Thanks again for the photos

Regards
Dereck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.