Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new to road biking, i have about 120 miles on my first road bike, a specialized roubaix. I was cleaning it last night and noticed a small length of what looks like a piece of an O-ring sticking out from between the bottom bracket and crank. It's about 1/2" sticking straight out, which would mean if it is indeed an o-ring, it's broken.
I'm not familiar with the inner workings of the bottom bracket, new to wrenching too, so I haven't had one apart yet. Are there o-rings in there? How worried should I be about this? Do I need to get it to my LBS before I ride again? Nothing is loose or making noise.

Thanks!
Mike

·
Registered
49 Posts
According the Specialized web page, your bike has an FSA Gossamer Mega EXO crank and bottom bracket. The bottom bracket cups sit outside the frame. There are a few 0-rings in this setup.
1) A rubber coated crush ring that sits between the left BB-cup and the frame to account for variations in the bb shell width of different frames.
2) Two small blueish 0-rings that go on the crank spindle, between the crank arms and the inner bearing race of the BB to ensure that the bearing is loaded correctly and to prevent contact between the crank and the rest of the bb.

From your post it sounds like one of these smaller blueish O-rings has broken and is sticking out. It also sounds like this isn't (yet) causing you any problems, but if it ever comes out fully it certainly will (which seems just a question of time). I'd suggest you take it to the place where you got the bike and have them replace the O-ring. It should be a very quick repair.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh i should mention that it is a 2005 roubaix, not a 2006. Specialized changed the bike a bit from 05 to 06, o5 was mostly dura ace and some ultegra, and the 06 is a less expensive model, mostly 105 with some ultegra. But maybe they both have the same crank and bottom bracket, i know mine is FSA...i'll see if I can find the specs. What you said regarding the o-rings sounds pretty accurate. I'll try and get it over to my LBS this weekend.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
1 Posts
So what happened?

mmccloy said:
Oh i should mention that it is a 2005 roubaix, not a 2006. Specialized changed the bike a bit from 05 to 06, o5 was mostly dura ace and some ultegra, and the 06 is a less expensive model, mostly 105 with some ultegra. But maybe they both have the same crank and bottom bracket, i know mine is FSA...i'll see if I can find the specs. What you said regarding the o-rings sounds pretty accurate. I'll try and get it over to my LBS this weekend.

Thanks for the advice!
Hi,

I've got the same BB/crankset on my Orbea, and the exact same thing happened to me yesterday. I got back from a ride and noticed a small, black piece of rubber protruding from where the left crank is attached to the BB. I extracted it, it looks like a small black o-ring that tore.

What did your LBS say?

Thanks,
Jay

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, when I went to my LBS, the guy looked fairly perplexed. He took off the crank arm and pulled out the remainder of it. He told me he wasn't sure why it was even in there, or if it was necessary. He re-greased it and put the arm back on and said it should be OK. I got an extended warranty at the LBS that covers the whole drive train, so if anything wears out because of it, it'll be covered anyway (at least for i think 3 or 4 years, however long i got it for).

I would have liked to have gotten a more matter-of-fact answer from the LBS, but that's as best as I could get. If you hear anything more informative from your guy, let me know.

Just today I brought my bike back in because i heard a knocking coming from the bottom bracket area. My girlfriend got herself a Specialized Ruby, girl's version of my bike, but she got the comp which is mostly 105 components. Still a really nice bike. Funny thing was that hers is making the exact same noise. It happens when you pedal, but also when you coast and swerve left and right - I think mainly I hear it when the frame flexes a bit. We just dropped both bikes off and should have them back later this week. The guy wanted us to leave them so he could take things apart and go over it and figure out what is going on. I'll post back the results once I hear.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I just picked up my bike and the guy told me he checked everything out on the bottom bracket, and it is all tight. He said that sand or small rocks were probably being kicked up and tapping the frame, and that's what I was hearing. This does make sense since the noise would even happen when coasting. I took it for a quick ride down the block at the shop and it didn't make a peep (tires were rubbed clean) so either he was right or he tightened something that actually fixed it. Hard to say for sure. Tomorrow I will go for a real ride so I'll see what happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.