Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
What the Hell is going on
4,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to keep my '92 Toyota 1/2 ton pickup. She's got 160,000 miles under the hood but the engine is still strong. After a minor fender bender I decided to keep her. I did the body work and had her professionally painted. Now I need some wheels. I kind of like the stance of a lifted mini pick up with 30" tires but I know that will bring up a whole new set of problems (modifications). What is the largest tire I can put on a stock '92 Toyota pickup?

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Not sure of how large stock. . .but with that little engine you'll watch you're power hit the gutter and your gas mileage drop considerably. Little trucks like that were never made to be a jacked up monster. Especially if it is 2 wheel drive. You could do this if you're so inclined:

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
The factory spends millions of dollars developing a suspension system to be the best balance between ground clearance, ride, economy, and production cost. Then along comes a kid with a $200 lift kit who thinks he can improve on the truck.....

The answer is I don't know how big your tires can go, but it doesn't look much bigger than the ones you have. Go ask at your LTS (local tire shop).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Big Bad John said:
The factory spends millions of dollars developing a suspension system to be the best balance between ground clearance, ride, economy, and production cost. Then along comes a kid with a $200 lift kit who thinks he can improve on the truck.....
Extract "economy, and production cost." and you have the reason he just may be able to improve the truck. To draw a bike analogy... just because the facotory spent money specing my bike with a heavy uncomfortable saddle dosent mean I cant improve the ride by throwing economy and production costs out the window and upgrade to a Flite Ti (my personal choice).

With trucks you also have to consider liability. If toyota jacks up a truck on the factory floor and knowingly ships a poduct which is unstable, they have a liability problem. If Joe Sixpack buys a kit and jacks his own truck up, he cant very well sue Toyota when he rolls it.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
I'd only keep it and invest anything in it if it was 4WD, and it appears not to be.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Joeslow2 said:
Extract "economy, and production cost." and you have the reason he just may be able to improve the truck. To draw a bike analogy... just because the facotory spent money specing my bike with a heavy uncomfortable saddle dosent mean I cant improve the ride by throwing economy and production costs out the window and upgrade to a Flite Ti (my personal choice).

With trucks you also have to consider liability. If toyota jacks up a truck on the factory floor and knowingly ships a poduct which is unstable, they have a liability problem. If Joe Sixpack buys a kit and jacks his own truck up, he cant very well sue Toyota when he rolls it.

Maybe I should have used some smileys or something. Its hard to convey when my tongue is firmly in my cheek......

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
kpcw said:
It needs Brooks steering wheel tape :)
i ACTUALLY have cinelli cork tape (black) on my lawn mower. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
JaeP said:
I've decided to keep my '92 Toyota 1/2 ton pickup. She's got 160,000 miles under the hood but the engine is still strong. After a minor fender bender I decided to keep her. I did the body work and had her professionally painted. Now I need some wheels. I kind of like the stance of a lifted mini pick up with 30" tires but I know that will bring up a whole new set of problems (modifications). What is the largest tire I can put on a stock '92 Toyota pickup?
Do you have 15x7 inch wheels? If so, 31 x 10.5 will fit and not rub. There will be about a 10% difference in your speedo reading though. There won't be a significant difference in power. 30 x 9.5 will also fit with no problems. This is with no suspension mods (lift kit, spacers, etc.). Your truck looks nice. I would personally buy tires and paint the rims black. It's sure a lot cheaper than a new truck.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
dude that's actually really smart.
i think i'll put some tap on our mower... that'd make that godforsaken steering wheel a lot nicer

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
estone2 said:
dude that's actually really smart.
i think i'll put some tap on our mower... that'd make that godforsaken steering wheel a lot nicer
i have a push mower (with a motor, btw). easy to wrap, the "handle" is alu or something, no worries. feels great and lasts FOREVER.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
rider mower, 2 hours to mow it, we've got some kind of plastic. nasty after 2 hours of vibrations, and we've got some dips in the yard that can give you some pretty nasty vibrations.
we'd use a push mower, but it'd take 10 hours. (yeah. my parents make me do that when the rider mow is broken. i charge them 7.50 an hour though, so they're less enthusiastic about it than i am :p)
-estone2

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
estone2 said:
rider mower, 2 hours to mow it, we've got some kind of plastic. nasty after 2 hours of vibrations, and we've got some dips in the yard that can give you some pretty nasty vibrations.
we'd use a push mower, but it'd take 10 hours. (yeah. my parents make me do that when the rider mow is broken. i charge them 7.50 an hour though, so they're less enthusiastic about it than i am :p)
-estone2
sounds like they need a tractor and bush hawg.

·
Soul Mining
382 Posts
I would keep it as is. If you just hate the way those wheels look, my advice would be to buy new wheels of identical size, perhaps even Toyota sells alloy rims made for their trucks. You could probably even manage one size larger with a lower profile tire, but why bother? It's a truck. It's utilitarian. Those Toyotas are great and they deserve better than oversized rims and a geeky lift.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
mohair_chair said:
Consider your ride pimped!
now allz you need is calvin pissin' on somethin' on the back winder.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts