Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
wyatt963
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else seen the 2012 Pinarello Dogma 2 / Campagnolo Super Record EPS for sale at Competitive Cyclists for $16,500.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I got their email with the Pinarellos in it yesterday, very nice bikes.....i would love to try out the Campy electric stuff sometime!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Pinarello Dogma 2

If you can afford the bike, what is the problem? I would like to have the super record eps system, but need to see more info and review data on it.

·
Registered
819 Posts
What drives the cost of this bike, is it the amount of labor required to build one?
Heck no. These frames cost a few hundred bucks to build.

You can buy a bike with a custom carbon frame from Crumpton, Parlee, Serotta, etc. for less money, and those are built in the U.S. to the customer's specification.

These bikes from the big bike makers are like putting a Ferrari price on a Yugo and then seeing who is dumb enough to buy one.

·
Bibo Ergo Sum
1,400 Posts
For comparison the MSRP of a 2011 Ducati 1198 is $16,495 (and anything left in stock right now is likely being blown out because of the new 1199).

Can you guess which one I feel is the better value? :D

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Heck no. These frames cost a few hundred bucks to build.

You can buy a bike with a custom carbon frame from Crumpton, Parlee, Serotta, etc. for less money, and those are built in the U.S. to the customer's specification.

These bikes from the big bike makers are like putting a Ferrari price on a Yugo and then seeing who is dumb enough to buy one.
Right. The price isn't driven by cost, but what they can get some consumers to pay. That's standard marketing strategy: Create a "high-end" version of a product and charge through the nose for it because you know there is a segment of the market that can afford it and will pay it. Those products have the highest profit margin.

·
WTF = Wide Tire Fits
100 Posts
What is the warranty policy of this frame (Pinarello Dogma 2 $16,500)? Till the end of the universe (or just lifetime warranty), no question ask, 1 year satisfaction guarantee?

·
Daft Punk built my hotrod
2,828 Posts
What is the warranty policy of this frame (Pinarello Dogma 2 $16,500)? Till the end of the universe (or just lifetime warranty), no question ask, 1 year satisfaction guarantee?
As has already been mentioned in this thread, the warranty on it is 2 years.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I see lots of S-Class Mercedes, 7-series BMWs and Porsche 911s being used as commuters here in Chicago. In the summer, the harbors are flooded with hundreds of million dollar sailboats that millionaires use for about four months out of the year in the lake and dry dock for thousands of dollars a month in the winter. I know men who blow five grand on a single suit. I know lots of women spend a few thousand on a purse. People give money to NPR (heh). There are entire towns in Florida that consist solely of $7MM, 10,000 square foot houses built for couples. All of this is much more common than someone buying a Ferrari Colnago.

My point is that in the grand scheme of things there are lots of worse ways to blow a lot more money than $16K. At least a bike requires some physical activity to operate.

·
2,828 Posts
I see lots of S-Class Mercedes, 7-series BMWs and Porsche 911s being used as commuters here in Chicago. In the summer, the harbors are flooded with hundreds of million dollar sailboats that millionaires use for about four months out of the year in the lake and dry dock for thousands of dollars a month in the winter. I know men who blow five grand on a single suit. I know lots of women spend a few thousand on a purse. People give money to NPR (heh). There are entire towns in Florida that consist solely of $7MM, 10,000 square foot houses built for couples. All of this is much more common than someone buying a Ferrari Colnago.

My point is that in the grand scheme of things there are lots of worse ways to blow a lot more money than $16K. At least a bike requires some physical activity to operate.
By that logic, there are no stupid ways to spend money.

The question is not whether there are worse ways to spend money. There always are. The question is whether there are better ones.

·
2,828 Posts
Stupid stuff that people with too much money and too little taste do.

Yes. That's an Alfa Romeo. In a General Lee paint scheme.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have seen posts about this particular bike on several forums, and each time I see people complaining about the price I ask: "Why do they give a $hit?"

Pinarello is selling 1st generation technology with Super Record EPS and charging a premium for it. It is standard procedure in this industry. Almost every piece of gear we use today came out with a price that brought gasps from many people. Give it a year and the prices will go down.

You don't have to buy the Pinarello EPS bike. If someone else wants to buy it at that price, good for them. The profit made from selling something like that will help Pinarello fund the sponsorship for my team and others. Pro riders being on bikes like this helps companies develop better products down the line which eventually trickle down to low level frames. People who buy bikes like this help you get a better bike in the future.

It seems that many who have a problem with bikes in this price range argue that customers are getting suckered by buying a bike that will perform very close to something costing $12,000 less. If this is your argument and you are riding a bike more expensive than a Cannondale CAAD 10/Specialized Allez with SRAM Rival you are doing the very thing that you are critical of in those buying this Pinarello. The technology in most of the "low end" frames is at least as good if not better than the bikes riders were using in the height of the EPO era. If a CAAD frame in 2002 could handle 480+ watts for an hour or a 1700+ watt sprint the CAAD 10 is way more bike than you will ever need.

I just do not understand the vitriol that Pinarello is getting for offering a bike at this price.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts