Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a 2006 Galileo at my LBS a couple of weeks ago, delivery date of May 5. I love the look of the bike, and regard it as one of the best overall dollar values around. I'm going to switch out the Shimano wheelset with a new pair of Ksyrium SSCs, but that's about it. I've been riding a 2001 Bianchi EV2 which has been, and is, a great bike and I'll keep it, switching off between it and the Pinarello.

Anyone own a 2006 Galileo who can pass on his/her experience with it? I'd like some kind of preview as to what to expect.

Thanks.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have an '05 with Campy Centaur that I picked up new off EBay for cheap. I believe the front triangle is the same tubeset, but the '06 has the Onda fork. The top tube is manipulated into a cloverleaf shape and the downtube is OS. I love mine. It's not the lightest alu/cf frame around, but for the price, it rides like a dream. I think the '06 is made in Asia, but with that flash Onda fork, who cares?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Onda fork the deal sealer

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, apparently the all-carbon Onda fork and seat stays are the same as those on the Prince and Dogma; that's pretty much what sold me on this bike, that and it has the look of a $5-K bike for barely 40% of that. Everything I've read says that the Onda fork DOES make a difference in handling, and you say that it "rides like a dream". What more could you want for $2,200? I'm not keen on Ultegra 10 on an Italian bike, but can certainly live with it. One of the guys I ride with has D-A on his Calfee and just bought a Scott for crits, put Ultegra 10 on it. I asked him how it was and he said that if he was blindfolded, he doubted he could tell the difference.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I got an 06 Galileo/Ultegra about six weeks ago and I'm very happy with it. You won't be dissapointed.
I did about $600 in upgrades to make it my dream bike.
Shimano Compact cranks
Ultegra BB
Kestrel EMS Pro carbon bars
Easton EC 70 post
Selle Italia SLR saddle
Bontrager Race Lite wheels (already had them from my old bike)
Vittoria Rubino Pro tires
Arundel Trident Carbon Fiber Bottle Cages
The only MOst componant left is the stem.
Wheighs 18.84 on the bike shop scale w/o flat kit. I think the Onda fork and stay look and perform great, especially knowing that they are the same ones that are on the Paris and Dogma. The bike rides and handles like a dream.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds Great.

Hi, Eric. Hey, thanks for the detailed feedback. It sounds as your bike is ready for the Tour now. I love all your upgrades; you've really transformed a damn good bike into a near great one. How would you assess the quality of the MOst components that came with the bike? I figured that they would be in the 105/Ultegra range, and that this would be fine, that maybe I would replace them one at a time but that for the short term they would be at least adequate. The only immediate mod I plan is to switch out the Shimano wheels with a brand new pair of Ksyrium SSCs (w/Rubinio Corsa EVO CXs) I originally bought for my Bianchi, but then decided to stick with the Neutrons. So they have been sitting in the garage waiting for a new bike. Yeah, you're totally right about the Onda fork and carbon rear stay: same ones that are on Valverde's bike. If you are going to take any photos of your bike, I'd like to seem them (just shoot them off to [email protected].

And thanks again for your detailed and encouraging response! I can't wait.

Doug

·
Registered
130 Posts
Doug, The only performance related upgrade was the crankset and BB. The Simano set up is stiffer that the stock MOst set up. The bar, post and saddle were just things I wanted to do to get a slight bit more comfort (on an already smooth ride) and to make the it my personalized rig. I need to get around to pictures and I'll post them in the Pinarello section, right now though I'm busy having fun riding it whenever I have the chance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I got an '06 Galileo with 105 and am completely pleased. It fits me like a dream and rides sooooo smooth. I have a been on a few training rides and love it.

So far the 105 stuff (just the brakes, deraillers, shifter/brake-levers -everything else is the same as the ultegra model) works fine. I keep debating if I am going to switch it out, but I am trying not to let my bike snobbiness get the best of me ;)

Maybe next year I might switch out their house branded stuf (cranks, bars/stem, seat post, saddle) for something cooler. Maybe get a more trick set of wheels. Or maybe not...

Great bike. You will be very happy! :cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pinarello Galileo 2006 Frameset Only

Guys, I know Galileo is sold as a complete bike. But is there hope of Getting it as a Frame set. I want to build it with a Dura ace or a Chorus. to avoid further expese with upgrades : Thanks mad2:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
It comes as a complete bike only. Ebay what you don't want. I am surprised that the build comes in that heavy close to 19lbs. It certainly sounds like a light build. I believe the frame comes in under 3lbs and is lighter than the Italian built 2005 model.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Galileo Weight

My 2006 Galileo is a 54cm bike and it weighs in right at 18 pounds w/out pedals. The frame is light, but I think that the higher-than-you'd-think complete bike weight comes mainly from the MOst brand components which are not the lightest around. That said, I have found this to be a fast, spirited ride, a nimble bike that accelerates and climbs well and, at the same time, is comfortable. I also have a Bianchi EV2 which is lighter and, subjectively, still feels bit stiffer and faster but I am still "adapting" to the Pinarello. For sure, the Galileo provides plenty of performance, and the Ultegra 10 (I have Campy Record and Chorus 10 on my other bikes) is a delight: absolutely flawless shifting and braking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts