Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone riden the 2006 Galileo ?
I'm also trying to find the exact weight of the frame and fork.
I don't know if it's a national security secret but I emailed the company twice and never got any reply.
Thanks for your help

40dave

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Galileo

jeffreyg said:
Thanks jeffrey
By luck last night I came across a post in the «save some weight» forum that refered to CC.
I did the built and compared it after with the Look 555.
Frame and fork: Galileo 1735g and Look 1650g

40dave

·
Registered
727 Posts
I think CC's weight calculator is a bit optimistic. If you go by it, a stock $2200, 2006 Gallileo with Ultegra and M.O.ST components weighs 16.96 lbs (SH550 wheels yet). I've seen the bike in stores and it's NOT that light. That's full carbon fiber frame territory, with pretty decent components.

Has anyone ever gotten a reply from the Pinarello website?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Answer from PINARELLO

Clevor said:
I think CC's weight calculator is a bit optimistic. If you go by it, a stock $2200, 2006 Gallileo with Ultegra and M.O.ST components weighs 16.96 lbs (SH550 wheels yet). I've seen the bike in stores and it's NOT that light. That's full carbon fiber frame territory, with pretty decent components.

Has anyone ever gotten a reply from the Pinarello website?
Yes I just got the reply from PINARELLO.
They tell me that for a size 54, frame comes to 1490g and fork 460g.
It's a 215g difference then what CC has.
Knowing that, I think it is still possible to built a very decent bike.
Galileo 2006 package on CC built with new PINARELLO numbers 8188g(18.05lbs)
If I remove the Shimano components as I'm planning to do and go with the following
mix of components: Chorus F&B derailleurs, Chorus Bcalipers cassette, chain & brake levers, FSA handlebars, seatpost and stem, SLR Selle italia saddle, Look Keo pedals
ans Campagnolo Neutron wheels
Total weight(with Pinarello numbers) obtained on CC : 7599g(16.75lbs).

·
Registered
354 Posts
40dave said:
Yes I just got the reply from PINARELLO.
They tell me that for a size 54, frame comes to 1490g and fork 460g.
It's a 215g difference then what CC has.
Knowing that, I think it is still possible to built a very decent bike.
Galileo 2006 package on CC built with new PINARELLO numbers 8188g(18.05lbs)
If I remove the Shimano components as I'm planning to do and go with the following
mix of components: Chorus F&B derailleurs, Chorus Bcalipers cassette, chain & brake levers, FSA handlebars, seatpost and stem, SLR Selle italia saddle, Look Keo pedals
ans Campagnolo Neutron wheels
Total weight(with Pinarello numbers) obtained on CC : 7599g(16.75lbs).
That sounds about right. I have nearly the same build on my Look 585 (except that I have Eurus instead of Neutrons, and a Bontrager X-lite Post) and the weight comes out to 15.6 lbs w/cages. The Galileo should be right under 17lbs. It will be interesting to see how it rides-if it is smooth like a Marvel or rough like a Prince.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I will let you know how it rides in a couple of weeks. I ordered one yesterday. Unfortunately, my size had to come from Gita, to Comp. Cyclist, then to me in AZ - hence the wait.

I can't believe the sixth largest metopolitan area in the U.S. does not have an authorized dealer. But, there is one in Tucson!?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mines sitting in my living room waiting for the weekend for the first ride. Ill post pics and an overall impression this sunday night

·
Registered
727 Posts
bbsmyle said:
Mines sitting in my living room waiting for the weekend for the first ride. Ill post pics and an overall impression this sunday night
Can you guys post the size and actual weight of your bikes, with the stock components?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks bbsmyle

Very happy to hear that you've bought the 2006 Galileo.
I'll be waiting anxiously to hear about your first test ride.
I'm still very concern about the weight of this machine.
As you probably read on one of my previous post, I got from Pinarello the weight of the frame and fork for a size 54 (without color) wich is supposed to be 1490+ 460 for the fork.
Went to a bike shop last week and they had a blue model wich came out at exactly 20 pounds on a very precise scale.
I still don't understand the huge difference of 2 pounds between the numbers on competitive cyclist and the live model.
I need to order a size 58. Will I get a rock once the bike is build ?
I would expect of a bike of that quality to be around 18 to 19 pounds.
Maybe you could share with us the size and weight of your new baby if you can.
Tell me guys am I getting crazy with this weight thing ?

·
Registered
90 Posts
One thing i noticed about cc's weight calculator is that they do not include cables or housings. That right there is some weight that isn't added in.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I picked up a stock 58cm Ultegra today. The bike wasn't bad: I would say somewhere around 18.5lbs, maybe a smidge lighter (with pedals and cages). It is very ballpark for a bike in this price range (the Cannondale R5000 is about the lightest bike I have seen under $2500, and even that is over 17lbs w/cages and pedals). The R550 wheels aren't light, and the Pinarello cranks (they looked like FSA's to me) aren't the lightest either. The tires were 25's. Saddle, stem and bar looked on the heavy/cheap side too. I would say that if a CAAD8 is around 1200g, the Galileo will come in closer to 1450g: the tubing was noticeably thicker. Get some 1500g wheels on there, a lighter BB/crank combo, and already you would drop 550g or so. Replace the other mentioned parts, and maybe lose another 150g. That would get you right at 17lbs w/pedals: very respectable, consideriding the fairly heavy/thicker tubing. This bike was never meant to be a flyweight: it looks to me like a very solid, dependable, stiff, yet somewhat compliant race bike. The guy who owned it said it was very powerful out of the saddle, yet absorbed a fair amount of road noise on the few 2 and 3 hour rides he had been able to get on it. He was planning on using it as a training/crit bike this season.

·
Registered
727 Posts
40dave said:
Very happy to hear that you've bought the 2006 Galileo.
I'll be waiting anxiously to hear about your first test ride.
I'm still very concern about the weight of this machine.
As you probably read on one of my previous post, I got from Pinarello the weight of the frame and fork for a size 54 (without color) wich is supposed to be 1490+ 460 for the fork.
Went to a bike shop last week and they had a blue model wich came out at exactly 20 pounds on a very precise scale.
I still don't understand the huge difference of 2 pounds between the numbers on competitive cyclist and the live model.
I need to order a size 58. Will I get a rock once the bike is build ?
I would expect of a bike of that quality to be around 18 to 19 pounds.
Maybe you could share with us the size and weight of your new baby if you can.
Tell me guys am I getting crazy with this weight thing ?
Keep in mind that Pinarello name is going to cost ya! Those funky fork legs too.

My Giant TCR Comp 1 cost about the same as list on a 2006 Galileo, around $2250 and comes with FSA Mega-EXO carbon crank, Mavic Elites, Fizik Aliante saddle, Easton EC50 bar, full carbon fiber stem/post, and full Ultegra/DuraAce rear. Hell, it even included Time Impact pedals. Bike weighs 17.3 with pedals, all four reflectors, pie plate, and a heavy CATEYE HRM/Speedometer. Full carbon fiber monocoque, of course.

The rap on the bike compared to a Pinarello or Colnago used to be: but it's made in Taiwan :).

·
Registered
354 Posts
Clevor said:
Keep in mind that Pinarello name is going to cost ya! Those funky fork legs too.

My Giant TCR Comp 1 cost about the same as list on a 2006 Galileo, around $2250 and comes with FSA Mega-EXO carbon crank, Mavic Elites, Fizik Aliante saddle, Easton EC50 bar, full carbon fiber stem/post, and full Ultegra/DuraAce rear. Hell, it even included Time Impact pedals. Bike weighs 17.3 with pedals, all four reflectors, pie plate, and a heavy CATEYE HRM/Speedometer. Full carbon fiber monocoque, of course.

The rap on the bike compared to a Pinarello or Colnago used to be: but it's made in Taiwan :).
You definitely have a point. Unfortunately, the Giant isn't available in many sizes, whereas the Pinarello has a bigger size run (I really love the fact that you can buy most of their bikes in at least 9 sizes, if not single-size increments). Giant is a line I would love to have: it compliments Pinarello very well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well I took the bike out for a good 35 mile maiden voyage yesterday. First, let me state, I have upgraded many things on my galileo, size 58. Things I upgraded are as follows: changed seat to new selle italia slr 135g seat, cranks were changed to fsa mega exo carbon cranks with ultegra clipless pedals. Also, put a fsa 90mm stem with fsa kwing carbon bars. So all the MOst parts are gone. I also am coming form a speacialized allez sport so this bike is a step up. The verdict........I LOVE IT. Its a really comfy bike. It dampens the road way better then my previous bike did. Bumps that were teeth chattering on my spec were pretty smooth on the gal. The bike imho is also pretty stiff and im a big guy 6 ft 190. When under accelleration the bike just wants you to push down harder to go faster with no give in the bottom bracket. Im super happy with the purchase and dont regret it one bit. I will get some pics on here soon. Sorry no wieght, put i cant see my bike being over 19-20 lbs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very nice to hear from your first test ride.
Hope you'll post the pictures of your baby soon.
Did you go with the red-black model ?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Finally got my Gal, eight weeks to the day after it was ordered. I must say the pics don't do the blue justice. It is a gorgeous metallic color that is actually a little deeper than what the ads appear.

I've only had time to spin around a few blocks. But, I have already determined that the MOst seat is a torture device!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts