Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,283 Posts
Pinarello is an upscale brand. It makes sense that a luxury goods group might want to take a flyer here. Yeah, I don't have the slightest clue whether or not the typical luxury goods buyer is a potential Pinarello customer, but a luxury goods buyer would probably know what the Yellow Jersey is and there are plenty of photos & vids that show a yellow jerseyed Sir Bradley Wiggins sitting atop a bicycle with the name "Pinarello" plastered on the down tube.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that would be my guess that somehow lvmh wants to leverage off of pinarello and go after the rapha market. i don't see pinarello's core customer as someone buying a lot of lvmh goods.

bike business is not known for its high margins i think, but if they are thinking of expanding into concept stores selling clothing , vacations etc and become a rapha it might be a plan.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,283 Posts
Look at it the other way around. Think of the typical lvmh customer buying a Pinarello after lvmh discreetly promotes the Pina as a must-have. Think of the market for a kid's Pinarello, either a Pina tricycle or one with training wheels. :eek:

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
that would be my guess that somehow lvmh wants to leverage off of pinarello and go after the rapha market. i don't see pinarello's core customer as someone buying a lot of lvmh goods.

bike business is not known for its high margins i think, but if they are thinking of expanding into concept stores selling clothing , vacations etc and become a rapha it might be a plan.
Rapha isn't far behind, that purchase will come soon as well.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
Pinarello is an upscale brand. It makes sense that a luxury goods group might want to take a flyer here. Yeah, I don't have the slightest clue whether or not the typical luxury goods buyer is a potential Pinarello customer, but a luxury goods buyer would probably know what the Yellow Jersey is and there are plenty of photos & vids that show a yellow jerseyed Sir Bradley Wiggins sitting atop a bicycle with the name "Pinarello" plastered on the down tube.
Recalls when The Sharper Image catalog introduced the Specialized Stumpjumper, the first mass produced mountain bike, in '81.

Middle aged guys in mid life crisis with plenty of disposable income go for high end road bikes. A tricked out Pina is still a third the price of a slightly used Corvette, and riding one will bring back lost youth in a more meaningful way than the 'Vette.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Recalls when The Sharper Image catalog introduced the Specialized Stumpjumper, the first mass produced mountain bike, in '81.

Middle aged guys in mid life crisis with plenty of disposable income go for high end road bikes. A tricked out Pina is still a third the price of a slightly used Corvette, and riding one will bring back lost youth in a more meaningful way than the 'Vette.
Tim Neenan designed the Original Stumpjumper, Allez, Sequoia and the Expedition. He still builds his own brand which is Lighthouse Cycles.

Good luck to them on the Pinarillo thing. Maybe they could get Apple to build an i-Garmin for it.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
And it's an even bigger bargain compared to a mistress or a trophy wife, the other traditional rich midlife purchases.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
Tim Neenan designed the Original Stumpjumper, Allez, Sequoia and the Expedition. He still builds his own brand which is Lighthouse Cycles.

Good luck to them on the Pinarillo thing. Maybe they could get Apple to build an i-Garmin for it.
Or bring out a model with electric motor assist. But wait! Specialized already has! Anybody see the insert in current Bicycling mag? Shocking!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Pinarello is an upscale brand.[/QUtOTE]
For morons only. Pinarello is a marketing giant and nothing more as you probably know. Their bikes are China/Taiwan cookie cutter crap, but LVMH is smart in capitolizing on people who may be new to cycling, and unaware of overpriced garbage. Time and Sarto are examples of true luxury/value but they spend on R&D, not marketing. A good example is kids (millennials) knowing little about mechanical watches, they would drop cash on a Tag, Panerai or whatever over an Omega by pure stupidity.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts

Personally I'd take a C6 or C7. I already have bikes that I enjoy the hell out of even if they don't say Pinarello on them. Buying a Pinarello would not spur me on to ride more simply because I don't see it being magically better than what I already have. If I could find one on closeout at a ridiculously low price I might get one but it is not a must have item for me. However, I don't own a car that can do what a C6 or C7 can do on the road or track. But in all honesty as a weekend toy I'd probably just as happy with a F3 800, Paginale 899 or Tuono.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
And it's an even bigger bargain compared to a mistress or a trophy wife, the other traditional rich midlife purchases.
No doubt true, but this purchase will be more fun to ride and still a pretty damn good workout.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
It seems to me that whenever private equity gets involved, bad things happen to the product, or the employees. Not at all sure about this.............

·
Registered
442 Posts
Pinarello is an upscale brand.[/QUtOTE]
For morons only. Pinarello is a marketing giant and nothing more as you probably know. Their bikes are China/Taiwan cookie cutter crap, but LVMH is smart in capitolizing on people who may be new to cycling, and unaware of overpriced garbage. Time and Sarto are examples of true luxury/value but they spend on R&D, not marketing. A good example is kids (millennials) knowing little about mechanical watches, they would drop cash on a Tag, Panerai or whatever over an Omega by pure stupidity.
Those stupid young people!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts