Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Would love to know what you think of the bike. I got it from an old b-friend. He was an Olympic athlete. He used one of his old frames to build me this bike. So the frame is really, really nice and the components are just nice. I dated the guy from 85-87 and the frame was old when I got it. I am still trying to find out how old it is. The serial number is 0884.

It has campy petals, pump and waterbottle.
cinelli handlebar and stem
it says shimano 600 above the fork and below the handlebar in chrome??
Fork is chrome
I think everything else is Suntour Sprint.

The top tube is 56cm and the bike store that I visited said the seat tube was 56cm plus or minus depends where you measure (I thought they would know!)

I believe it may have been custom made for him. That is what my memory is telling me. But I have no way to confirm that now. I have lost track of him and I am married now -- so my husband would like to keep it that way :) If it was custom then color is not going to help in IDing the manufacture date.

http://mysite.verizon.net/ressfkdg/

I tried to post some pics but even at the highest level of compression -- I can't seem to get it to fit.

Thanks to all!

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Not a collector

but I have had several Pina's. The easiest to come by are the Treviso's. Not to say they are ordinary by no means. And they are getting harder and harder each day to come by.

Yours is especially nice in condition. It is most likely an SL Columbus tubed frame (maybe SLX on an occasional model). There should be clearly marked Columbus Dove stickers just below the seat cluster and on the fork blades.

The Suntour group is nice, but not as collectible as say a Campy group would have been. Again, nice, but not the most sought after.

Now, if your ex boy friend/Olympian had the initials DP, that might add to the collecter value.

The serial number points to 1984 as the year manufactured.

I (not being a true collector, but like these bikes) would want at least $500.00 if there was enough proof of its authenticity. Are there any special little shapes in the lugs or on the brake bridge? Is there a fancy P on the fork blades? Can't see for sure in the picture.

The best bet as always is ebay. Although, it is a popular size (56 + OR -) and it may find a good home on the RBR classifieds.

Good luck. Any good cycling stories or do we have to track down the ex for those??

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Ooo... Good One

There I go being all continental US only again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys. Thanks for the replies. I spoke to a published collector and he indicated that the bike was late 70's possibly early 80's. I called Gita with the serial number and they said pictures were the best way to determine age and requested a few. I have not heard back from them. I will call again. Because I thought that might be the case as well. Maybe if I get someone else I can be sure. The only thing that doesn't fit is that I know that it was an old bike when I got it in 85. So I can't see how it could have been made in 84. But I will continue to investigate....

No the initials are not correct. I don't think he is anyone with a recognizable name -- he was too poor when I met him for that....

Bike is definately a Pinarello. On bottom you can see Treviso. And under seat it has the GP in the frame.

Thanks for all of your help and your thoughts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got off the line with Gita. Apparently in the older bike serial number does not = date of manufacture. But it was a good idea. Based on the info from a few cyclist that are in the know about old pinarellos it looks like late 70's to them.

I am still going to wait a little longer on Gita. They seem terribly nice. I don't want anyone to buy the bike with the wrong info. But ... I did decide to ask a friend to try and locate the old boyfriend and see if he can fill me in on the bike.....we'll see how that goes...

Thanks again.

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Careful now....

that's how it all begins...contacting the old boyfriend for info, meeting over lunch and then yadda, yadda, yadda.

I got my serial number info from GITA. They are right down the road from me. But they did agree that serial number designation changed from time to time so, hard to swear by.

The group is not late 70's, so I guess the parts were newer than the frame then.

If it were my wife's bike, I'd keep it and play with it. If your husband can't (or does not) ride it and I were him, I would rather donate it to Goodwill than have you spend time tracking down the ex.

I'd say forget the trouble, list on ebay and let the public decide on value and price.

·
l'illustre sconosciuto
321 Posts
Check the rear dropout for the two holes used for the portacatena device. If they are present, the bike is post 1978. If they are not present, it is likely, however far from certain, that the frame predates 1978. A friend of mine used to work as a framebuilder for Pinarello in the 80's, but likely after the production of this frame.

The GPT logo that appears on the frame should always been read as it appears in French in honor of all the Pinarello Tour de France victories: jhay pay tay (in French it means "I farted")

·
Registered
330 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:
there is at least one enquiry mind that wants to know.

Alexi Grewal?
Davis Phinney??
GP??

who who who?
She said "Olympic athlete", that does not mean he was an Olympic cyclist.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Judging by the gear cable routing and the full braze on fittings for levers, brake cables and bottle cages I'd say it's most likely early eighties rather than late seventies.

Being a 56 there isn't a hope in hell AG's bike, as he is way over 6 foot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts