Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having worsening neck pains as I've upped the mileage (~50 per weekend). I am a weekend warrior, 35years old great health.

Saw a doctor and had xrays done last week and am waiting a response. Doc said he can't ride a road bike due to a problem with his neck - I didn't want to think about that too much. So I took his advice and focused on stretching.

Went for a 10mile ride and the pain (mild) came back after a week of being off the bike and stretching! I am so dissapointed, and frankly, depressed.

So if it is a pinched nerve in my neck, what are the odds this can be treated successfully and how. I'd prefer no surgery.

Thanks,
Frustrated and feeling hopeless.

·
BS the DC
1,426 Posts
linuxted said:
I've been having worsening neck pains as I've upped the mileage (~50 per weekend). I am a weekend warrior, 35years old great health.

Saw a doctor and had xrays done last week and am waiting a response. Doc said he can't ride a road bike due to a problem with his neck - I didn't want to think about that too much. So I took his advice and focused on stretching.

Went for a 10mile ride and the pain (mild) came back after a week of being off the bike and stretching! I am so dissapointed, and frankly, depressed.

So if it is a pinched nerve in my neck, what are the odds this can be treated successfully and how. I'd prefer no surgery.

Thanks,
Frustrated and feeling hopeless.
Chiropractors treat pinched nerves all day, every day. They will most often do x-rays and show them to you and explain what they see on the same day. It takes 2 minutes to develope an x-ray. An x-ray can often show useful information, but usually won't reveal more serious problems such as herniated discs. An MRI can be ordered if necessary.

I can only think of three ways to unpinch a nerve: surgery, traction or spinal manipulation. Surgery is rather drastic. Traction is slow. Spinal manipulation is to be quick, cost effective, and safe.

Here's a list of things that don't unpinch nerves: drugs, stretches, exercises, ultrasound, electric stimulation, x-rays, MRIs, etc. These aren't useless, but won't likely be the ultimate solution to your problem.

You first posted this about a week ago. If you had come to my office a week ago, I'd expect you to be 75% better now or I'd be considering an MRI. You can keep jacking around with pills and stretches or shortening your stem 1cm, but I recommend seeing someone trained to unpinch pinched nerves.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bsdc said:
Chiropractors treat pinched nerves all day, every day. They will most often do x-rays and show them to you and explain what they see on the same day. It takes 2 minutes to develope an x-ray. An x-ray can often show useful information, but usually won't reveal more serious problems such as herniated discs. An MRI can be ordered if necessary.

I can only think of three ways to unpinch a nerve: surgery, traction or spinal manipulation. Surgery is rather drastic. Traction is slow. Spinal manipulation is to be quick, cost effective, and safe.

Here's a list of things that don't unpinch nerves: drugs, stretches, exercises, ultrasound, electric stimulation, x-rays, MRIs, etc. These aren't useless, but won't likely be the ultimate solution to your problem.

You first posted this about a week ago. If you had come to my office a week ago, I'd expect you to be 75% better now or I'd be considering an MRI. You can keep jacking around with pills and stretches or shortening your stem 1cm, but I recommend seeing someone trained to unpinch pinched nerves.
Wow, I'm impressed you remembered :)

I haven't gone the medication route but definitely the stretch and strength routes. Since I haven't gotten a diagnosis from my doc yet (waiting on xrays and him to come back from vacation) I don't know what my options are. If a chiropractor can fix it, so be it. If stretches can fix it, so be it. If surgery can fix it... I might have to think about that long and hard.

Thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
suggestions

The pinched neck issue has diminished dramatically for me.

I recommend
1) taking it easy for a few days until you are more comfortable
2) stretching before a ride (hamstrings especially as it will relieve pressure on your back which is possibly causing you to "crane" your neck)
3) keep your head down and don't hunch shoulders while you ride
4) keep as relaxed as possible in your upper torso while riding

Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Good advice, linux. The majority of pinched nerves do resolve themselves, the problem is that they take many months to do so sometimes. By the way, if it flairs again, just get the MRI, it gives infinitely more info on just about everything in that area. Xray is next to useless (but does need to be taken). Surgery always last resort for this, EVEN if the MR is positive.

·
What up, dog?
473 Posts
I've had long-standing problems with neck pain. This year I did somthing a little different. Here it is (get ready):

1. Shortened my stem from a 120mm to a 110mm
2. Flipped it - now it's 6' instead of 84'
3. Lowered my saddle 5mm

I haven't had near as much pain - very little in fact. I'm riding faster (on average), longer, and with more comfort. Amazing how TINY changes can make all the difference. What I'm saying is go to a fitter, explain the issue, and see if they can help - again, I did this on my own, and just the smallest changes mad all the difference!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I will get an MRI if this thing doesnt heal. Today is day three and it seems to be getting much better. The worst part was the headache right after it happened. It was a migraine that lasted all of Wednesday day and night. Headache is gone now. I got to thinking yesterday that maybe it wasnt a pinched neck nerve but something down in my back that triggered the headache and stiff neck pain. I will keep close eye on it.

Axebiker: What did you mean by #2 flipped it?

Thanks to all for all the great advice. This is the first time using this forum for me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'd also take a look at your bar height in relation to your saddle height, usually it should be between 1-3 inches. If your bars are set to low your going to be straining to look up which can cause pain. Take a straight edge and give it a quick look over. I set my bike up straight by a wall in my garage and then make a mark on the wall off the saddle then move the bike back and check the bars. It's the most accurate way to check IMHO. Raise em up a bit and I'm willing to bet that it helps.

·
What up, dog?
473 Posts
Bhubb08 said:
Axebiker: What did you mean by #2 flipped it?
Most stems can be "flipped over" meaning one side has a negative slope, which puts he stem angle near flat to the road, and a positive slope, which
angles the stem up. It's surprising how much difference about 1" of added height will make.

·
Daylight Fading
1,903 Posts
Two words: Trigger Points

My accupuncturist does accupuncture, accupressure and massage to relieve mine in my neck. It relieves my headaches and hand numbness when I ride......it's also really effing relaxing! I'm betting that the Chiro can do it too.

Look up Bonnie Prudden, she wrote a good book years ago that outlines where the common ones are, but in reality, anyone skilled at finding them can do it, massage it out (may take several sessions...YMMV) but they are there.

BT

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.