Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to die tomorrow. Not even close to being in shape or at weight, but I think I'll just give it a shot and see just how bad.

The Pine Flat road race is a 62 mile trek through the foothills of the Sierras outside Fresno; lots of rollers, a little flat, then a series of smaller inclines before a big old wall called Wildcat Mountain about 8 miles before the finish, and then it's a hilltop finish. Very nasty course. http://www.velopromo.com/pine-ent.htm

But, heck, it's a workout (probably a time trial for me after 10 miles).

Anyone else here going?

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
good luck and let us know how it goes

Yeah, been there, done that. Back when I was racing in the Midwest it was sort of understood that a lot of folks would just "race into shape". Out here it's just not feasible. Well, if you enjoy solo breaks off the back it is.

It refuses to stop snowing here in Boulder, so I may be there yet again this spring.

I won't be at Pine Flat, but I will be out on a long training ride trying to add on the base. 8 weeks left until Boulder-Roubaix and I've barely begun, woohoo.

Cheers - LFR

·
Domestic Drivin' E-Thug
1,060 Posts
Hey Doug.... how'd you do?

DougSloan said:
I'm going to die tomorrow. Not even close to being in shape or at weight, but I think I'll just give it a shot and see just how bad.

The Pine Flat road race is a 62 mile trek through the foothills of the Sierras outside Fresno; lots of rollers, a little flat, then a series of smaller inclines before a big old wall called Wildcat Mountain about 8 miles before the finish, and then it's a hilltop finish. Very nasty course. http://www.velopromo.com/pine-ent.htm

But, heck, it's a workout (probably a time trial for me after 10 miles).

Anyone else here going?
Did you manage to hang alright?

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
naught

The Human G-Nome said:
Did you manage to hang alright?
Well, when you have a 20 month old and your wife is due to have another within the week, sometimes things don't go as planned. Bottom line, I was homebound until later in the morning, so I just went on a hard fixed gear ride later on. No race. It sucks, because I felt really strong, and might even have stayed with the main group until the big hill toward the end. C'est la vie.

·
Domestic Drivin' E-Thug
1,060 Posts
Well, you know what's important.

DougSloan said:
Well, when you have a 20 month old and your wife is due to have another within the week, sometimes things don't go as planned. Bottom line, I was homebound until later in the morning, so I just went on a hard fixed gear ride later on. No race. It sucks, because I felt really strong, and might even have stayed with the main group until the big hill toward the end. C'est la vie.
That was a pretty brutal race... the big climb at the end, Wildcat, is nothing to sneeze at and features 16% grades. Pretty tough to conquer that in one piece when your HR is over 180 BEFORE the climb just trying to cover attack after attack on the rollers leading up. The 1km finishing climb was a snap in comparison though and as least there was a nice downhill to give your legs a break before it came. What's your next race? I'll be doing the Pinole TTT and then most likely McClane Pacific.

·
Registered
495 Posts
That last hill is pretty brutal. I was in cat 4's and we had a guy do about a 40 mile solo for the win. It was my first race of the year and actually i just started doing intervals so I have no speed built up. My plan or that race every year is just ride to the final hill and then give it all i got. When i saw 216 on the heart rate monitor I figured that was enough and slowed down and finished at my own pace, ended up about 20th or so. it's a great course though because it starts off with those mild grades and then goes to the flats before the big mountain at the end. i prefer the flat races though.

·
Domestic Drivin' E-Thug
1,060 Posts
the Break

Sub said:
That last hill is pretty brutal. I was in cat 4's and we had a guy do about a 40 mile solo for the win. It was my first race of the year and actually i just started doing intervals so I have no speed built up. My plan or that race every year is just ride to the final hill and then give it all i got. When i saw 216 on the heart rate monitor I figured that was enough and slowed down and finished at my own pace, ended up about 20th or so. it's a great course though because it starts off with those mild grades and then goes to the flats before the big mountain at the end. i prefer the flat races though.
Your breakaway man was Michael Tymoff and that was his first road race ever as a Cat4. The next weekend he won Snelling on a solo breakaway as well. He won't win every crit, but he will win most races until he becomes a 2. He's this year's version of Justin England where he only ever loses a race because of poor tactics and not because he's not stronger then everyone else in the field. It won't be much different for him in the 3s either. The guy is a monster and people are taking notice.

·
Registered
495 Posts
yup

The Human G-Nome said:
Your breakaway man was Michael Tymoff and that was his first road race ever as a Cat4. The next weekend he won Snelling on a solo breakaway as well. He won't win every crit, but he will win most races until he becomes a 2. He's this year's version of Justin England where he only ever loses a race because of poor tactics and not because he's not stronger then everyone else in the field. It won't be much different for him in the 3s either. The guy is a monster and people are taking notice.
I talked with him after snelling this week and told him to get out of our category already. Snelling was the fastest Cat 4 race I've ever been in. usually on that course the pack stays together until the end but it blew apart on lap 3 of 5. the front end of our pack got split because we ran into a pack of women and a bunch of cat 3's that had been dropped. When we came out the other side there were 4 guys that split away and I tried to pull them back with another guy but could not and we were eventually caught by 3-4 others and were racing for 6th at that point. I broke away with 1 km to go with one other guy and then totally cramped up about 50 meters from the line and 2 of the other guys caught me and I ended up 9th. He told me it was his first couple of races and I said "yeah but what did you do beore this?" he said he had done ironmans, didn't ask him how many or for how long but that guy is a monster. I heard we almost caught the leaders in cat 3, they were like a minute ahead of us at the finish. I have never suffered that bad before. i wanted to quit from lap 2 on but my body just kept going so i did and i felt i was one of the top 5-6 guys in the field, just couldn't get rid of the wheel suckers.

·
Domestic Drivin' E-Thug
1,060 Posts
Sub said:
I talked with him after snelling this week and told him to get out of our category already. Snelling was the fastest Cat 4 race I've ever been in. usually on that course the pack stays together until the end but it blew apart on lap 3 of 5. the front end of our pack got split because we ran into a pack of women and a bunch of cat 3's that had been dropped. When we came out the other side there were 4 guys that split away and I tried to pull them back with another guy but could not and we were eventually caught by 3-4 others and were racing for 6th at that point. I broke away with 1 km to go with one other guy and then totally cramped up about 50 meters from the line and 2 of the other guys caught me and I ended up 9th. He told me it was his first couple of races and I said "yeah but what did you do beore this?" he said he had done ironmans, didn't ask him how many or for how long but that guy is a monster. I heard we almost caught the leaders in cat 3, they were like a minute ahead of us at the finish. I have never suffered that bad before. i wanted to quit from lap 2 on but my body just kept going so i did and i felt i was one of the top 5-6 guys in the field, just couldn't get rid of the wheel suckers.
Yep, he did international distance Tris and broke several course records on the bike leg. He's been at that a long, long time and just now decided to drop the Tri and focus on road racing. He even sold all of his Tri kit back to his local Tri team so he's out for good. My teammates said Snelling was definitely a hard race, especially this early in the season.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
don't you just hate guys like that? ;-)

The Human G-Nome said:
Yep, he did international distance Tris and broke several course records on the bike leg. He's been at that a long, long time and just now decided to drop the Tri and focus on road racing. He even sold all of his Tri kit back to his local Tri team so he's out for good. My teammates said Snelling was definitely a hard race, especially this early in the season.
nmnmnm

·
Domestic Drivin' E-Thug
1,060 Posts
DougSloan said:
I think it's pretty fun racing against him actually... kind of like you have front row tickets to a show, but you're part of the show. I hope he keeps at it and ends up turning pro. He's obviously still a long way off from that, but I really believe he has the god given talent and the drive to make it happen He's also a nice guy too from the few times i've talked to him. Similarly, Justin England is now getting top 10s in Pro/1/2 races. Chris Horner took Pine Flat though (as if anyone else was going to win it - ya, right). I'm also glad Horner signed on with Webcor because now we get to line up behind him at all the Nor-Cal road races. Watching Wohlberg was certainly a lot of fun last season.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
keep up?

The Human G-Nome said:
I think it's pretty fun racing against him actually... kind of like you have front row tickets to a show, but you're part of the show. I hope he keeps at it and ends up turning pro. He's obviously still a long way off from that, but I really believe he has the god given talent and the drive to make it happen He's also a nice guy too from the few times i've talked to him. Similarly, Justin England is now getting top 10s in Pro/1/2 races. Chris Horner took Pine Flat though (as if anyone else was going to win it - ya, right). I'm also glad Horner signed on with Webcor because now we get to line up behind him at all the Nor-Cal road races. Watching Wohlberg was certainly a lot of fun last season.
Do you think if everyone realizes he's marked, they can get organized and at least keep up with him, suck his wheel? Or is he singularly stronger than an entire field?

·
Domestic Drivin' E-Thug
1,060 Posts
DougSloan said:
Do you think if everyone realizes he's marked, they can get organized and at least keep up with him, suck his wheel? Or is he singularly stronger than an entire field?
I don't think other teams will be able to develop a strategy specifically for him. First of all, he's only had 4 races in the 4s, 2 road races and 2 crits. Most people still don't know him very well and he'll be gone soon anyway, if he hasn't already upgraded to Cat3. If he's not a 2 by the end of the season then i'd be really surprised, but by that time, the playing field levels considerably and he'll be just another rider in the bunch unless he really develops quickly. Also at this point, he's winning on strength and he has very little actual racing skills. He lost his first Road Race as a 5 at Patterson to a Cliff Bar Cyclocross sandbagger and although the sandbagger was really strong, it was poor race tactics that did him in in that one. You know what they say, the strongest rider doesn't always win.

But hypothetically - no, apparently in Cat4s even an entire field isn't able to organize themselves well enough to prevent him from TTing to victory. His Arete teammates set a high enough pace at the beginning where everyone is just in "hold on" mode and when it looks like other riders are cracking, he just shifts into another gear and takes off with no one really able to follow. Only a big headwind is going to prevent him from staying away by himself in the 4s. Whole other story in the 3s though.

·
Registered
495 Posts
The Human G-Nome said:
I don't think other teams will be able to develop a strategy specifically for him. First of all, he's only had 4 races in the 4s, 2 road races and 2 crits. Most people still don't know him very well and he'll be gone soon anyway, if he hasn't already upgraded to Cat3. If he's not a 2 by the end of the season then i'd be really surprised, but by that time, the playing field levels considerably and he'll be just another rider in the bunch unless he really develops quickly. Also at this point, he's winning on strength and he has very little actual racing skills. He lost his first Road Race as a 5 at Patterson to a Cliff Bar Cyclocross sandbagger and although the sandbagger was really strong, it was poor race tactics that did him in in that one. You know what they say, the strongest rider doesn't always win.

But hypothetically - no, apparently in Cat4s even an entire field isn't able to organize themselves well enough to prevent him from TTing to victory. His Arete teammates set a high enough pace at the beginning where everyone is just in "hold on" mode and when it looks like other riders are cracking, he just shifts into another gear and takes off with no one really able to follow. Only a big headwind is going to prevent him from staying away by himself in the 4s. Whole other story in the 3s though.
yep, that is exactly what happens. i knew he was going to do the same thing at snelling after watching him do it at Pine Flat. at Pine Flat his team all got on front and just cranked the pace up, and to be honest i never saw him get away even though i was sitting in the top ten i was asleep at the wheel i guess. I was one of the top 5-6 riders at Snelling and I know i could not do anything about him by myself. the field got split and i was on the wrong side of it, but there were 3 riders that worked together and caught him even though he still won in the end. we were getting time checks and he got up about 2:45 on us. Let me say this though, we were flying in the pack. 28-33 downwind and 24-27 back into it. his teammates do a good job of just sitting on the front and marking anyone that tries to get away and chase. they were not strong enough at snelling though and a couple of times they got dropped and were able to get back on but i knew he was on his own. These are just training races for me at this point so there is no way i would even think about challenging him, though i doubt i could in peak form since i've only been racing for 2 years. Now, get me to the last 100 meters against him and yes i like my chances :). it will be interesting to see how he does, hopefully it is in other groups because im planning on moving up to 3's this year myself and i dont need him stealing points.

·
Registered
30 Posts
He already upgraded from the Snelling win. Had a team mate in the break with him. They talked about finishing placement before the race was done, like who needed points to upgrade. With only four people in the break they wanted it to stick and not get reeled back. So they decided the finishing order on lap 4 so they would all work together.
-mb

1 - 15 of 15 Posts