Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for diagnostic help. When I start pedaling and add tension to the drivetrain, my bike often makes a "ping" sound. The sound usually just happens once, and almost sounds like one of the teeth on my cassette/crankset are being strung like a guitar string. When I pedal at a more constant power output (like in a TT, but not necassarily at high power) it sounds fine. I was convinced that it was the chain being worn, but I just replaced it and the sound still exists.

I also think it may be possible that there is some sort of lateral movement causing this. When I stop pedaling to go around a tight corner I put side to side pressure on the pedals. This seems to ensure that the "ping" will occur when I start pedaling again and may make it louder as well.

Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Did you check
the skewer
the spokes
cleat/pedals

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've been having close to the exact same problem and I think it's the pedals. It started when I switched to DA 10 last year and thought it was the drivechain. I switched chains, cassetes, etc but never got rid of the problem. Two weeks ago I switched pedals on my two bikes and, low and behold, I got the ping on my other bike which has older DA 9 speed stuff that never pinged before.

I'm using Shimano SPD SL. I think it might bethe bearings in the pedals. I had one of my cycling buds tell me he flushed his squeking pedals with a lubricant spray and a ton of road grime came out through the bearings. I may take my pedals and clean/relube them to see if that fixes the problem.

What pedals are you using?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Mine got progressively got worse and turned out to be a cracked rear dropout. I hope your problem is less serious but do not discount majory items. I discovered mine while giving the frame a thorough cleaning and inspection. After I wiped off the grime it looked like a spot of stubborn grime that required more elbow grease to remove. Sadly it turned out to be more serious.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
Had similar and it turned out to be my chain itself. Put it on the stand and go through the gears slowly, look for any hopping of the chain at the rear cassette especially in the smallest cog. If that isn't it also consider your bottom bracket, spoke tension, frame (rear triangle). And after that watch Monty Python and things that go PING!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I had an unusual noise that I thought might be my BB. I did try everything else first, though, lubed and tightened everything. I found my pedals, crankarms and stem clamp a little loose. But I still had the noise. I checked the head tube bearings and they seemed OK, but I tightened them a bit anyway and the noise stopped!

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
freewheel mechanism..

This is a common problem with Mavic wheels. They've got weak pawl springs with a very shallow engagement. I've got one hub that did this, so I installed a new cassette body, pawls and spings, but it still does it occasionally. I suspect the pawls are not aligned properly with the cassette body, but there is no cure since the pawls rest on a permanent steel pin pressed into the hub.

The only other common ping that is similar is chain skip. That occurs under a heavy pedaling load, but only with a new chain on worn cogs.

·
aka Zoo
763 Posts
sounds like something is up with the spokes, I had the same problem and it turned out that the nipples on the spokes had to be replaced, they were corroded and started snapping.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Depending on how loud the PING! is, it may be the pawls. I have Ultegra SL wheelset. I get PINGED! maybe every 5 miles or so, sometimes more. Always when I put pressure on the drivetrain. It sounds like I broke a spoke, but that couldn't be it, or I'd have minus-500 spokes by now. Brand new bike, wheels, everything tight. Any solution, aside from hoping I can get a new rear wheel??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.