Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For all you audiophiles out there - I have a set of AC - 850 Pinnacles that I've been really happy with. I'm driving them with a little 65 wpc Harmon Kardon integrated amp and since I am somewhat of a metalhead I blew one of the woofers a few years back. I replaced it an all was well. But then (recently) I started to notice this little swooshing distortion during quiet passages that got progressively worse. I thought it was the amp and I sent it in and the shop says that they ran it for a week and did a "burn-in" on it and it was fine. So I get it back and hook the Pinnacles back up and a woofer is dead again. So I'm talking to their engineer and tell him that when I switch the woofers from cabinet to cabinet the one woofer is obviously dead but the little distortion during quiet passages is still there. I'm thinking the crossover network is going bad but he says that due to the age of the speakers (about 16-17 years old) and the fact that I admitted to probably bottoming out the voice coils on more than one occasion he thinks the other "good" woofer is probably going down the same road as the bad one.

So I explain that if we add the original cost of the speakers, the original replacement woofer, the $50 I spent getting the amp checked out, the cost of two new woofers, the retrofitting of the crossovers with resettable protection circuitry, and shipping I'll have a thousand dollar set of $400 speakers. So he says that if I pay for the shipping both ways He'll replace both woofers, take the dent out of the dome tweeter, and retrofit the crossovers with the protection circuitry all for the price of one woofer! $70

Nice. I'm pretty pleased with that customer service.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
70 bucks!!!

I know a guy with a white van who could get you some real speakers for that money!!

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
You forgot to add in the price of the hearing aid you're gonna need soon!

·
Registered
429 Posts
I've got a pair of Polk Audio SDA 2As and love 'em to death. Driving with about 450 WPC. In my opinion it's hard to beat some of the older speakers from the 80s and early 90s. They're not the prettiest girl at the dance, but they're the best sounding!

Polk customer service is great, too. Called 'em up for new tweeters a while back and I got a nice deal. They also still sell replacement drivers for their old speakers, which is great news.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
crispy010 said:
I've got a pair of Polk Audio SDA 2As and love 'em to death. Driving with about 450 WPC. In my opinion it's hard to beat some of the older speakers from the 80s and early 90s. They're not the prettiest girl at the dance, but they're the best sounding!

Polk customer service is great, too. Called 'em up for new tweeters a while back and I got a nice deal. They also still sell replacement drivers for their old speakers, which is great news.
I always wanted a set of SDA's when I was big into audio. I still think polk makes some good speakers for the money. I'm using a 10 year old set of RT25 bookshelfs which I love. Those were from the days of my audiophile years. I threw away more money than I should have on audio equipment.

But times aren't too bad for those of us not audiophiles anymore. I needed a new receiver for my home theater and picked up a new Denon 75W * 7 receiver with dual room capability for 250 bucks last week at Crutchfield. I can't believe what you can get for that kind of money these days. I know it isn't high end audio but for my old ears I'm impressed. And the auto calibration was sweet. Now if I could just get the money for those ohm walsh's or the Carver ribbons at the pawn shop...

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
I just bought a refurb Onkyo 805 - puts out 130W x 7. Will more than likely be running some SVS SCS-01 front/ SBS-01 rear bookshelf speakers and their PB12-NSD sub.

This will be my first non-cheesy system...can't wait to hear it.

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I brought a 250W Onkyo amp back from Japan when I was over there in the Marine Corp in the 80's. That thing was awesome!! The sides had highly polished cherry "end caps" on them that matched my Denon turntable perfectly and the front was just two huge analog power meters behind a thick piece of plexiglass that changed from back lit red to green as the amp went from safe mode to ready mode.

The rest of the system consisted of a Yamaha C-4 preamp, Nakamichi's top of the line tape deck for back then (the one that could play/record at half speed) A dbx noise reduction unit an a pair of JBL L-112 speakers.

That set up rocked!!!

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
Some guy in the AVS forum is having some issues with a pre-production Oppo Blu-Ray player talking to his AVR. He has the top of the line Denon separate processor and receiver....$7,500 each! The amp is pretty though, it has three giant meters on the front of it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Now if I could just get the money for those ohm walsh's or the Carver ribbons at the pawn shop...
ooooh Carver ribbons. (Hmm, I can't find a smiley that adequately portrays my emotion concerning those.... darn) :)

My amp and receiver are Carver. Not a warm sound by any means.... but warm isn't what Carver's known for!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I blew a Hafler DH-500 that was driving a pair of Snell E-IV's through a Hafler pre-amp that was customized with a external power source. It all sounded so sweet. I now have an Adcom amp and Pre-amp tuner, that while nice, just doesn't sound as sweet as teh Hafler.

·
Alien Musician
4,537 Posts
Geez. I try to nursemaid my old audio electronics along too:

I still have my Rotel RA-1000 80 watt integrated amplifier I bought back in
high school. That thing is utterly bombproof, the longest lasting audio purchase
I've ever made. Really nice. That was, what, TWENTY NINE years ago? WOW!

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
aliensporebomb said:
Geez. I try to nursemaid my old audio electronics along too:

I still have my Rotel RA-1000 80 watt integrated amplifier I bought back in
high school. That thing is utterly bombproof, the longest lasting audio purchase
I've ever made. Really nice. That was, what, TWENTY NINE years ago? WOW!
The stuff from the 70s-Early 80's were great. Take a look at an old Marantz 22XX series and see and feel something special. I'd love to have some of the older speakers I see on eBay. There are some great deals on classic speakers and equipment.

·
Registered
296 Posts
There's some kind of magic to these old speakers, maybe they're just properly built and not like the made in China and in bulk we have nowadays.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts