Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke my left collarbone last June; and in the last three weeks I've been having episodic pain beneath it and shooting down my arm. My fingers have also been getting pins and needles. Laying down without a pillow under my neck can set it off, as do other things which I've yet to figure out.

Given a perfect right side and pain in my crashed shoulder going with the rest I suspect a connection.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? A lot of nerves run under the collarbone and could get irritated if scar tissue built up over time.

I setup a Monday morning appointment with my orthopedic guy for a professional opinion.

My wife thinks I should cut back on riding, although reducing mileage would be bad for form leading up to an August 1000 km brevet.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I broke my left collarbone last June; and in the last three weeks I've been having episodic pain beneath it and shooting down my arm. My fingers have also been getting pins and needles. Laying down without a pillow under my neck can set it off, as do other things which I've yet to figure out.

Given a perfect right side and pain in my crashed shoulder going with the rest I suspect a connection.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? A lot of nerves run under the collarbone and could get irritated if scar tissue built up over time.

I setup a Monday morning appointment with my orthopedic guy for a professional opinion.

My wife thinks I should cut back on riding, although reducing mileage would be bad for form leading up to an August 1000 km brevet.
No direct experience, but that sounds like exactly what my wife has from Thorasic Outlet Syndrome.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I had that, without any broken bones. I went to a therapist who is also a friend and cat 3 racer and he diagnosed the muscle imbalance that was causing it. It's taken half a year of work to make the symptoms completely go away.

Since your problem started well after the broken collarbone it might not be related.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
Brachial plexus is right near the collarbone, sometimes you injure the collarbone and that gets affected. My collarbone break didn't have any surgery, just old-fashioned figure-eight harness... took a good decade to feel 100% to be honest.

It might be something that PT could help with...

·
Lone Rider
72 Posts
Brachial plexus is right near the collarbone, sometimes you injure the collarbone and that gets affected. My collarbone break didn't have any surgery, just old-fashioned figure-eight harness... took a good decade to feel 100% to be honest.

It might be something that PT could help with...
I suffered a strain in my right side brachial plexus in a car wreck. I had the same pain described in the OP and then some. My Dr. suggested kayaking and it worked fabulously. It's great fun too.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
I've been having episodic pain beneath it and shooting down my arm. My fingers have also been getting pins and needles.
How old are you?
Pain down the left arm and numb/tingly fingers is also a sign of brachial neuralgia.

At 64 I have BN caused by DDD (degenerative disc disorder): worn vertebrae have pinched nerves in my neck. It's like sciatica of the upper body.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts

Did they put any metal in it? Sometimes a screw head can irritate a nerve. (I met a guy on the bike trail who had the same surgeon I did, and he said he convinced the guy to take out a couple of screws in his office, which solved the nerve irritation problem. Mine, fortunately, don't do that.)

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did they put any metal in it? Sometimes a screw head can irritate a nerve. (I met a guy on the bike trail who had the same surgeon I did, and he said he convinced the guy to take out a couple of screws in his office, which solved the nerve irritation problem. Mine, fortunately, don't do that.)
No metal, just a figure eight brace when it started growing together.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm 43 and I broke my left clavicle last September...flipped over the drop bars and landed on my helmet and shoulder. I was on opioid pain meds for two weeks after the accident and had to wear a stablilizer sling while I slept. Lucky for me... the collar bone break didn't require surgery. I didn't ride for over 2 months and didn't start riding more than 2 times a week until March of this year. I healed up quicker than I thought. Occasionally I'll have a faint soreness after sleeping on my left side, where the break occurred when I wake up in the morning. The worst part of the broken collar bone ordeal is not really the pain or the lack of riding... but the bills from the ER and the orthopedic doctor. I just recently paid off the out-of-pocket costs that my insurance didn't cover. I spent more money on medical bills from this accident than I've spent on my bike and gear combined!

It's been 8 months and I don't have to visit the Ortho doctor anymore. I take vitamin D pills (5,000 IU max strength) every day.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I did this last August. Since the surgery I have minimal feeling on the surface of the skin around my pec/neck/shoulder. My thumb and pinky get numb from time to time and are almost always cold. No shooting pains. Hard to sleep on my side or stomach.

The x-ray when it is broken is really gut wrenching.

Joint Medical radiography Font X-ray Colorfulness

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My ortho thinks it's my C-spine, and had me schedule an MRI following up with a different doctor.

I'll see how that goes. He said I could do what I want without aggravating it so I will, although I'll probably try a century before my next long ride to minimize my odds of an unpleasant surprise over 100 miles from home.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I broke my right collar bone about 7 weeks ago. About a day afterwards, my right hand started losing function and became partially paralyzed. My hand and wrist also became swollen. I got a referral from my orthopedic doctor to see a neurologist who did a nerve conduction test and ordered an MRI. The MR showed the brachio plexus being compressed as well as a vein (hence the swelling). I had surgery a week ago and things are improving. The swelling is gone and my fingers are beginning to work again.

The best of luck to you in your recovery.
Dancer

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My ortho thinks it's my C-spine, and had me schedule an MRI following up with a different doctor.

I'll see how that goes. He said I could do what I want without aggravating it so I will, although I'll probably try a century before my next long ride to minimize my odds of an unpleasant surprise over 100 miles from home.
I finally got in to see the nerve doctor who implied I'm getting pre-old with normal wear and tear unrelated to my crash. A few discs are flattening and the left side of my C6 vertebrae has a thickened bony bit with the two combining to produce a squished nerve when I move wrong.

I'll be fine if I don't aggravate it, should see a PT a few times about better posture, and should call the doctor if it becomes a bigger problem.

He told me that I'm in the in-between phase, beyond having enough room for everything, but not aged enough I've stiffened up so my vertebrae no longer wiggles and causes problems.

·
I make Eagles fly
620 Posts
I've had 4 clavicle breaks over the years, topped off with 7 separations. My question, was it a clean break or just cracked and reset. Both of mine are clean breaks and were left to heal overlapped. The one side I had a lot of pain, felt like the bone was trying to tear thru, minor surgery on trim the bone down and it's much better

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I finally got in to see the nerve doctor who implied I'm getting pre-old with normal wear and tear unrelated to my crash. A few discs are flattening and the left side of my C6 vertebrae has a thickened bony bit with the two combining to produce a squished nerve when I move wrong.

I'll be fine if I don't aggravate it, should see a PT a few times about better posture, and should call the doctor if it becomes a bigger problem.

He told me that I'm in the in-between phase, beyond having enough room for everything, but not aged enough I've stiffened up so my vertebrae no longer wiggles and causes problems.
Your Ortho was wise to order MRI of C-spine and his diagnosis is consistent with your symptoms.

Look up "Posture Pump", I use one myself and always put my patients with disc issues on this device. Cheap, safe and effective the device when used twice a day for 15min can help improve cervical disc/lordosis problems. They run around $130 and there is a cervical and a lumbar version. I've used both and IMO they are worth the price and effort. Good thing is this is very safe, I've had patients who were not compliant but I've never seen a bad result using this.

Good luck and fast recovery!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts