Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about investing in a Pioneer PM (left side only for now) but Im trying to understand how do you update the PM? Do you have to buy the head unit to update or can you do that via usb/bt option?

If anyone can share their opinions... I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
What kind of updates are you thinking you would do? Can't say I've ever updated any of my power meters, including my Pioneer dual sided PM.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of updates are you thinking you would do? Can't say I've ever updated any of my power meters, including my Pioneer dual sided PM.
Im assuming, like any electronic device, there may be firmware updates? Ive read your post back from 2015 in regards to your Pioneer PM and while the thought is appealing to get both... I am "introducing" myself to power by going left-side-only. But, my current thoughts are my needs to buy the head unit with the left-only usage or just invest the head unit cost and pay the delta for dual and wait till a few paychecks later to pick up the head unit?

What are you opinions so far, from last year, about the PM? Do you utilize another head unit (Garmin?) with the Pioneer head unit and how does that work for you? At this time, with having no knowledge of PMs at this point, Im debating between the use of a left side only (like stages/Pioneer) or the need for dual (Pioneer future thinking) and if its more requirement to get the head unit? I currently have an Edge 1000 (thanks to a work giveaway) and I am initially not wanting to have two head units on the handlebars but if its more requirement... then so be it.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
The pioneer is cool with the pioneer head unit. For a time, the head unit was effectively free with the dual sided pm.

I would skip single sided pm (tons of threads and posts on that).

I would buy a dual sided pm. Very similar price to single (e.g., p2m, quarq with al cranks). Those will finction with your head unit.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The pioneer is cool with the pioneer head unit. For a time, the head unit was effectively free with the dual sided pm.

I would skip single sided pm (tons of threads and posts on that).

I would buy a dual sided pm. Very similar price to single (e.g., p2m, quarq with al cranks). Those will finction with your head unit.
I appreciate your thoughts. And that brings up another question... Im purchasing a new bike and its coming with Ultegra 6800 crank/set. Would it be a waste to purchase something like p2m/quarq and just have the Ultegra crank just sitting their on the shelf?

I personally liked Pioneer because I can "grow into" the PM. (Left side only and just use my Garmin 1000 and then once I get the dual side and head unit.) And this is without having spare parts in my garage.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
The Pioneer with work with any ANT+ head unit.

What's nice about the Pioneer head unit is you can use it to switch from their proprietary ANT output to standard ANT+ and back as well as set up the of magnet position etc instead of pushing the button inside the DS cover for the dual sided set up.

If you have a L/R imbalance the Pioneer is much better at helping you fix it (if you want to) than P2M or Quarq because those don't use dual sided strain gauges, they just assume all the power is coming from based on pedal position, which can be off quite a bit in my experience unless you are a masher, then it's probably pretty accurate. Plus the Pioneer with their head set and the cyclo-sphere webpage gives very detailed analysis like you saw in my review.

I have P2M on my gravel bike and it's a very solid choice, but it does not match the L/R balance from the Pioneer well at all for me due to my pedal stroke - it is nice to have a crank based meter though so it's easy to change wheels without needing a power tap hub on every wheel set.

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
Personally, I'd be leery of a Pioneer PM.

Every PM maker has needed 2-3 yrs to work out practical issues & Pioneer is still new : data integrity, zero & calibration (slope) stability, reliability, etc.

PMs sometimes fail, availability of service should be investigated. Will they turn it around in 1-2 days, like Quarq will?

Pioneer has low market penetration, eg see this summary of Kona Ironman TT bikes -- only 1.4% of the 1279 PM-equipped bikes using Pioneers.
Alex's Cycle Blog: Kona power meter usage trends: 2009 to 2016

What that suggests is, How committed to the market will Pioneer be? Would they ever pull out & orphan the PMs?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I had a pioneer left side only for about a month before sending it back.

1) It was faulty, and wouldn't output anything (consulted pioneer, who concluded it should be sent back)
2) Replaced it with a Stages, as I decided that Bluetooth + ANT was more useful to me than ANT + Pioneer. I'm so happy about this, because now I use bluetooth a ton for Zwift and TR.

Unless you want to go dual sided later, or run the special Pioneer head unit, I cannot find a good reason to get the pioneer over the Stages. The stages has been perfect for nearly a year.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Personally, I'd be leery of a Pioneer PM.

Every PM maker has needed 2-3 yrs to work out practical issues & Pioneer is still new : data integrity, zero & calibration (slope) stability, reliability, etc.

PMs sometimes fail, availability of service should be investigated. Will they turn it around in 1-2 days, like Quarq will?

Pioneer has low market penetration, eg see this summary of Kona Ironman TT bikes -- only 1.4% of the 1279 PM-equipped bikes using Pioneers.
Alex's Cycle Blog: Kona power meter usage trends: 2009 to 2016

What that suggests is, How committed to the market will Pioneer be? Would they ever pull out & orphan the PMs?
Tom_h... I totally hear you. I just found the Pioneer supporting data (individual left/right stats) more attractive and honestly a lot cheaper than others. I "can only" use speedplay zero pedals at this time since i have a serious leg injury in which I can use extenders... but other options were definitely attractive. I think overall, I would have loved to go with the Shimano one but its only in DA for now so no need to overspend just to get a PM imho.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a pioneer left side only for about a month before sending it back.

1) It was faulty, and wouldn't output anything (consulted pioneer, who concluded it should be sent back)
2) Replaced it with a Stages, as I decided that Bluetooth + ANT was more useful to me than ANT + Pioneer. I'm so happy about this, because now I use bluetooth a ton for Zwift and TR.

Unless you want to go dual sided later, or run the special Pioneer head unit, I cannot find a good reason to get the pioneer over the Stages. The stages has been perfect for nearly a year.
SN... I also hear you on that one. At first, I was going to go left only just to introduce myself to the PM but I researched to find that without the head unit... its just another Stages. The shop gave me a pretty good discount on getting all three pieces, left/right and head unit, and Im content with the thought of getting a PM overall. Am I going to admit that the PM is WAAAAYYYY overkill for my needs? Oh hellz ya! But, if I can encourage myself to ride more and get numbers out of it... (since Im a numbers guy) then its an experience that I hope is worth it!

I also read DC Rainmakers last review about the Pioneer PM and he pretty much said the same thing... its not worth it unless its the whole set. Now, its just time for me to learn how to use a PM and how it can benefit me since Im only getting it for data and training.

My TR/zwift needs are meet by a Wahoo Kickr. So, I was hoping to use something while Im on the road instead of looking at numbers when Im only doing indoor rides.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Im assuming, like any electronic device, there may be firmware updates?
I've had mine for a while now, many thousands of miles - no need for a firmware update and no issues, it just works. There was an update for the head unit which I did, and it updated without any issues.

Sounds like you already made the deal, you will like it I'm sure - works great with Zwift too. Now get the book 'Training with Power' and download Golden Cheetah to track your data.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've got the Pioneer with the new Dura-ace cranks running with a Garmin 820. It's flawless and I couldn't be happier with this setup.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.