Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went for a 10 mile ride on my bike last Thursday. Friday morning I woke up pain in my left butt and it got progessively worse day by day. I'm talkng severe pain. First like i said it was in my butt and then I had pain all through my leg. I couldn't turn my foot or put weight on my left leg . If I sat down for any length of time and got up I would be in agony.I went to my doctor who was on vacation and saw a PA who was filling in . She said I had soft tissue trauma.She put me on Ultram. Mobic, skelaxin and extra strength tylenol Just today after 9 days I am getting some relief.

Does this sound like Piriformis to you?

How can i prevent this from happening again. I have been riding for number of years and this has never occured to me .I sometmes ride 30+ and have never had a problem like this.
I did purchase a new bike late last year and I moved the saddle up a bit on suggestion from a friend before I rode .
I also bought a new pair of Specialized Pro Carbons
These are the only changes i made

I hope somone can give me some advice so i don't have this painful experiance again
On a scale of 1to10 this was a nine!:(

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
WOW! I certainly no doc., but it sounds to my like it might be a pinched nerve. I would take the doc's advice & stay off the bike for a bit.

·
BS the DC
1,422 Posts
It could be your piriformis. It can squeeze the sciatic nerve and give you sciatica. You could also have a herniated disc which would be a much worse problem. Either way, 9 days is a long time to wait to just get "some relief." One thing I'm sure of is you aren't suffering from a drug deficiency. That seems to be taken care off. Try a chiropractor. Chiropractors deal with this stuff all the time.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
tou said:
I went for a 10 mile ride on my bike last Thursday. Friday morning I woke up pain in my left butt and it got progessively worse day by day. I'm talkng severe pain. First like i said it was in my butt and then I had pain all through my leg. I couldn't turn my foot or put weight on my left leg . If I sat down for any length of time and got up I would be in agony.I went to my doctor who was on vacation and saw a PA who was filling in . She said I had soft tissue trauma.She put me on Ultram. Mobic, skelaxin and extra strength tylenol Just today after 9 days I am getting some relief.

Does this sound like Piriformis to you?

How can i prevent this from happening again. I have been riding for number of years and this has never occured to me .I sometmes ride 30+ and have never had a problem like this.
I did purchase a new bike late last year and I moved the saddle up a bit on suggestion from a friend before I rode .
I also bought a new pair of Specialized Pro Carbons
These are the only changes i made

I hope somone can give me some advice so i don't have this painful experiance again
On a scale of 1to10 this was a nine!:(
From a sports medicine perspective, what you describe may very well be piriformis syndrome, without seeing you and examining you I cannot tell you for sure, but from your description, this is what it sounds like. The mainstays of treatment revolve around NSAID's, and a physical therapy program to stretch the piriformis tendon is initiated. Sometimes ultrasound modalities are utilized, and rarely surgical decompression is indicated. This, if not properly treated, can recur and become a nuisance. If the nerve pain should recur and is severe, I have occasionally placed patients (rare) on gabapentin to help with their pain while they undergo therapy. Make sure you get a FIRM diagnosis of this, and then a referral to PT for stretching. Hope this helps, and I hope you get better. BTW-BSDC's description of the entrapment of the sciatic nerve by the tendon is the etiology of this disorder, which is why I didn't repeat it above. Good Luck.

Michael

1 - 4 of 4 Posts