Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Kestrel Carbon handlbar and and Easton Carbon stem to go with it. I had a professional by a nationally renowned bike fitter/Physical therapist. The first day I ride my new setup I go over some railroad tracks and my frame feels like it collapsed for a second. I was a little surprised and not sure what happened. As am I riding along I wondered a bit if my handlebars had shifted but figured I was imaging things as I have had fit issues in the past. I go back to bike fitter about 3 weeks later complaining about the fit and he looks at me and says the bars are way off. I get those re torqued go out for a ride and hit a bump same thing that sound. I now notice that they slipped a little bit. I go to a tech at my local LBS where I bought and they readjust it and torque it. I go out later that day hit a bump and they slip. Only this time it is rainy pretty good and windy and I am descending multiple hills. Enough of this BS. The stem is going. I need to concentrate on developing my skills not concentrating on handlebars of going over my handlebars.
I email Kestrel to double check what the torque should be for the bars thinking maybe they are not being torqued right. I mention what stem I am using and find out that Easton is aware of this particular stem slipping.
Has any one ever had this type of problem?

· Registered
797 Posts
Scince you just had a fitting, I assume the ride is new,,, therefore,, I'd take it back to where you bouhgt it and have them replace the both the bars and the stem... THe slipping of the bars wears on both parts

· No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
Blah! Blah! Blah! said:
I recently bought a Kestrel Carbon handlbar and and Easton Carbon stem to go with it. I had a professional by a nationally renowned bike fitter/Physical therapist. The first day I ride my new setup I go over some railroad tracks and my frame feels like it collapsed for a second. I was a little surprised and not sure what happened. As am I riding along I wondered a bit if my handlebars had shifted but figured I was imaging things as I have had fit issues in the past. I go back to bike fitter about 3 weeks later complaining about the fit and he looks at me and says the bars are way off. I get those re torqued go out for a ride and hit a bump same thing that sound. I now notice that they slipped a little bit. I go to a tech at my local LBS where I bought and they readjust it and torque it. I go out later that day hit a bump and they slip. Only this time it is rainy pretty good and windy and I am descending multiple hills. Enough of this BS. The stem is going. I need to concentrate on developing my skills not concentrating on handlebars of going over my handlebars.
I email Kestrel to double check what the torque should be for the bars thinking maybe they are not being torqued right. I mention what stem I am using and find out that Easton is aware of this particular stem slipping.
Has any one ever had this type of problem?
hairspray!

· "Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Visitor302 said:
Scince you just had a fitting, I assume the ride is new,,, therefore,, I'd take it back to where you bouhgt it and have them replace the both the bars and the stem... THe slipping of the bars wears on both parts
Yeah, I'd take them back. This is a huge safety issue.

· Registered
797 Posts
Hairspray is for grips, not stems!
Well,, grips and 80's metal bands.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.