Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone on this board seems to be posting about the Bianchi Pistas. Everybody either wants one, has one, or recommends them; and why not? - They're awesome. You can't beat them for their price... and they come with sealed cartridge bearings all around... not bad... not bad...

I've had my Pista for almost two years now. It gets ridden to work and back every day, and all around the city for wherever I need to go. It's much better than owning a car and I have to say it's my favorite bike. Never owned a bike I've loved more.

I give it lovin' on a regular basis to include overhauling the headset, hubs etc... This weekend I tore it down, cleaned it, lubed it, tensioned it, hugged it, talked nice to it and then took it for a nice spin to work... a nice silent spin I should say. Oh, and yeah, I'm rocking a naked chrome pista for a couple days... I'll tape it up in a couple days I'm sure.

Here are some shots from yesterday's maintenance:

Arby

You should really use a 15mm for this:

An 8mm for this:

Don't forget to remove any washers that may be between your crank bolts and BB cartridge before you start your crank pullin':

Behold.... The Holy Grail!: ("God be praised!")

A 5mm here:

I love Chris King headsets... that little rubber seal is an inpenatrable force:

.... shwing!:

The carbon goods:

Carbon goods going back on...

Almost complete:

All done and ready to rock. ("bark bark"):

Have a nice day.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
good stuff

That really is a beautiful bike, I hope you take some city pics of it while it's nekid. The "holy grail" shot is especially beautiful.

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
I'm glad you still pop in to post pictures occassionally, Arby.

I love the Pista. I had a line on a 2005 from Craigslist for $400 but I assume it has been sold. I emailed back and forth with the guy a few times but was a bit wishy-washy because I should really concentrate on something that would be more practical for my long commute. Still, you are making me want to email the guy and see if he still has it. It is hard to beat that price for a recent complete bike, fixed or not.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
nate said:
I love the Pista. I had a line on a 2005 from Craigslist for $400 but I assume it has been sold. I emailed back and forth with the guy a few times but was a bit wishy-washy because I should really concentrate on something that would be more practical for my long commute. Still, you are making me want to email the guy and see if he still has it. It is hard to beat that price for a recent complete bike, fixed or not.
The Pista is great for any commute, regardless of distance or terrain. Outside of the commute realm, a Pista is good for a century or 5000' of climbing*, or both, it's all a matter of using the right gearing.

* Keep sustained (2000'+) descent cadence under about 130 RPM for best results.

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
PdxMark said:
The Pista is great for any commute, regardless of distance or terrain. Outside of the commute realm, a Pista is good for a century or 5000' of climbing*, or both, it's all a matter of using the right gearing.

* Keep sustained (2000'+) descent cadence under about 130 RPM for best results.
It's not about the gearing, it's about fenders. I know a lot of fixed riders would never consider fenders and ruin the simplicity, but for a commute it is sometimes a necessity.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Non-bike question.

Is that a new pet in the background?

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Very nice, man. I always enjoy your photos. :)

joe

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Well, since you brought up the subject....

Arby said:
Everyone on this board seems to be posting about the Bianchi Pistas. Everybody either wants one, has one, or recommends them; and why not? - They're awesome. You can't beat them for their price... and they come with sealed cartridge bearings all around... not bad... not bad...
Things I don't like about the Bianchi Pista (I work for a Bianchi dealer and we are very familiar with the bike);

The dropouts are too thin-subject to deforming very easily (we see a lot of this).

There is no safe way to install a rear brake but the bike comes with a freewheel hub.

The stock seat sucks......(most stock seats aren't very good IMHO but this one is awful).

The stock gear is way too high for street use but almost all Pistas get purchased by folks who have no intention of riding on the track.

The final thing I don't like about the Bianchi Pista-Bianchi doesn't make any where enough of them (they are always back ordered at the warehouse). :( (We sell as many as we can get our hands on-what a great bike for the money!)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
true... so sadly true.

MB1 said:
Things I don't like about the Bianchi Pista (I work for a Bianchi dealer and we are very familiar with the bike);

The dropouts are too thin-subject to deforming very easily (we see a lot of this).

There is no safe way to install a rear brake but the bike comes with a freewheel hub.

The stock seat sucks......(most stock seats aren't very good IMHO but this one is awful).

The stock gear is way too high for street use but almost all Pistas get purchased by folks who have no intention of riding on the track.

The final thing I don't like about the Bianchi Pista-Bianchi doesn't make any where enough of them (they are always back ordered at the warehouse). :( (We sell as many as we can get our hands on-what a great bike for the money!)
:eek: Yer' such a curmudgin!! ... but you're right...

• The drop outs are too thin. I noticed this a few months ago... mine are deformed.
  • The seats they come with also do suck very much. Mine was some WTB Super Ultra Mega Shiney Slipmeister Deluxe.... that was the first thing that I replaced.
  • If it's fixed don't brake it! Brakes are not for me.
  • The gearing is perfect for city riding though... 48x16 is very cruisable and fine for start up with my legs. I can motor quite quickly in this ratio... ask Mark S!
  • Lastly... you're right; they're ALWAYS back ordered. I wanted to get a Pista Concept a few months back but couldn't deal with the wait time... I'm one impatient bastid.
Arby

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
I am always a curmudgeon the day after a long ride.

Arby said:
:eek: Yer' such a curmudgin!! ... but you're right...

[*]If it's fixed don't brake it! Brakes are not for me.

[/list]Arby
By Friday I am sweetness and light as I look forward to our next long ride.....

My point about the frame setup that doesn't allow a way that won't void the warranty to install a rear brake and the hub that won't take 2 fixed cogs correctly is that Bianchi ought to correct one or the other (not both! :eek: ).

Bastids! ;)

Again just so there is no confusion let me say-Sweet bike for the $$$.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Arby said:
:[*]The gearing is perfect for city riding though... 48x16 is very cruisable and fine for start up with my legs. I can motor quite quickly in this ratio... ask Mark S!
[/list]Arby

Last spring, Arby was beating me up some significant hills while he was riding the Pista and I was riding a geared bike. Every time that Arby sprints ahead of me while he is on the Pista, I rationalize my lame riding by saying -- he's 20 years younger and at his prime. But, I know that even if I were 27 or 28 again, Arby still would beat me. Bastid.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Doris.

MarkS said:
Is that a new pet in the background?
That's Tasha's doggie; Dorris. I have yet to get a dog... maybe this spring, I dunno. I want something a little more vicious than what you have.... your attack poodle...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts