Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Make America grope again
4,754 Posts
I've tried to be consistent that my biggest problem with doping is practical and not moral. The health effects. And public health impact as more people dope chasing their sporting dreams.

This may or may not be roid rage, but it doesn't look good.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Listening to NPR on the way home from work today and it sounds like the Prosecution kind of fell apart on the stand today. No dope, no evidence to refute his story of shooting at what he thought was an intruder. No credible reports from the neighbors who heard arguing, they live 600 yards away. Doesn't change the tragedy that will haunt him the rest of his life but it's not the slam dunk case for the prosecution that was originally portrayed.

·
Make America grope again
4,754 Posts
I dunno. I'm not buying his story.

Look at the little floor plan. She reportedly was on the john and he hit her with 3 of 4 shots - on her right side. If you thought an intruder was in your toilet compartment, would you aim at the toilet, or the little walking space in front of it?

Innocent until proven guilty and all that. But it doesn't look so good.

BBC News - Pistorius witness 'heard shots, screams, more shots'

·
Registered
426 Posts
Depending on where the window is you might want to shoot in that direction. The toilet being between the door and the window, whoever was on the toilet would be in the path of the bullets.
Also you have to consider that if he panicked and fired rapidly through the door, the bullets would have gone all over the place.

Plus really:
1) head investigator's steroids claims changed to testosterone changed to "??? we don't know, we didn't read the label."
2) head investigator confuses the distance at which witnesses that supposedly heard shouting were, from 300m to 600m.
3) head investigator admits that none of the evidence effectively discredits Pistorius' account for now.
4) police forgets to pick up a casing on the crime scene, and DEFENSE INVESTIGATORS found it. (seriously ? lol)
That's a lot of blunders for a 20 year old veteran of the force. Sounds like they were trying to rush it through to keep him in jail and they failed. And to be honest, the point had to be made that he's not a huge flight risk.

I do agree with you though that his story is fishy. What I have the most trouble believing is that he wouldn't have see she was there. He went to his balcony, he got back to his bed, grabbed the gun, walked to the bathroom, all that time not realizing that she wasn't in bed ? It sounds difficult to believe.
The ballistic report might help to shed more light on what happened, but it's not as clear cut as the media made it look like.

·
Banned
8,103 Posts
Yeah it's pretty obvious that the guy murdered her.

Too bad there are so many overzealous a-holes working as cops and prosecutors. I mean, it works very often when the goal is putting the maximum number of people behind bars, regardless of guilt or innocense. But every so often a guilty guy can afford a proper attorney who makes investigators and prosecutors look like complete idiots. And the guilty guy walks, like OJ.

This isn't to say that all cops and prosecutors are bad guys. Of course many are honest, upright individuals. All I am saying is that too many of them end up bending the rules and violating rights, all in the name of justice.

·
Make America grope again
4,754 Posts
The window is on the floor plan. Behind the toilet.

He's supposed to be a very good shot, experienced with guns and all.

He'd have to be practically in the sink to shoot through the door and hit the window. Shots like that would have hit her in front.

Plus windows behind toilets are high - (in swanky places, anyhow) if he was aiming for it, how did he get her in the hip?

We're supposed to believe he's too panicked to realize his gf wasn't in bed? too scared to yell off the intruder? Too freaked to identify his target before blasting away? but he's level headed enough to calculate a tricky angle shot to the window?

One has to believe a number of unlikely events to believe his innocence.

·
Banned
8,103 Posts
On the other hand, all of this happened in the middle of the night. It's easy for the mind to play tricks on someone who is scared and half asleep, especially in the dark.

I've been delirious and thought there was an intruder more than once. Years ago I was living in an apartment and heard someone open the front door. I grabbed the shillelagh I kept near my bed and charged out of my bedroom ready to smash the intruder. Then I flipped on the light. I saw...nobody. The door I heard open was down the hall.

As a child I was scared witless by heavy breathing in the hallway. I inched across my room on my stomach with a flashlight and slowly cracked the door open, only to see the silhouette of a crouching figure. When I turned on the light I saw the idiotic grin of the family dog.

That's not to say the guy is innocent. But let's not get carried away with "it's not rational that he did X!" as we do not always behave rationally at 2am.

·
Banned
8,103 Posts
Pistorius detective on attempted murder charges

How is the prosecution going to convict Pistorius when their star witness lied about steroids and is up on murder charges?

What more will it take for Pistorius to walk? Again, this is why I detest dirty cops and prosecutors. And I also detest cops who turn a blind eye to other dirty cops. And prosecutors should be disbarred if they knowingly put perjuring cops on the witness stand.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The window is right behind the toilet. Assuming the intruder would have come through the window, he would have to get down to the toilet first, which means you would try to angle your shot in that direction.

To expand on what Local Hero said, not only can you be extremely disoriented when waking up in the middle of the night, with the paranoid feeling that someone is in your house, but there is the added fact that this isn't the USA we're talking about here. This is South Africa, and more specifically Johannesburg, where paranoia and fear of aggression pretty much have a daily influence on people's lives.
If you believe in statistics, murder rates in SA are the 12th highest in the world. The rate of violent crime puts it much higher than that on the list. And that's after a good 15 years of government efforts to reduce violence. Johannesburg has been at the center of that wave of violence and even if things are getting better, fear for one's safety is still deeply ingrained in people's minds.

So who's to say if you wake up in the middle of a night, hear suspect noises, and feel the added insecurity of not being able to walk (or flee) properly, you won't go into panic mode, grab your gun, and unload through your bathroom door before asking questions ? If you're not used to living with your girlfriend, it's entirely possible that you would forget she was there that night in your panick.

I still think it's a dubious position to take, but it's not impossible, and that's all the defense has to prove. Which is why I hope that a detailed investigation, where you actually take time to properly interview your witnesses and examine the ballistic and crime scene details properly, will help shed more truth on the whole story and avoid the kind of fiasco the police just put themselves in.

·
Make America grope again
4,754 Posts
I agree that a cop accused of murder should be on leave, not on cases.

Just my opinion, but I think the charges will get downgraded to murder.

I think the crux of the case lies in the forensics. Hard to say he was panicked if he put his legs on. (Shots high). Also, that would directly dispute his testimony - kinda poke holes in his credibility.

Where she was positioned and where she was hit will play into it, too.

One has to believe a string of unlikely events to believe his defense. He was asleep, but she was up and dressed. She was up, but all the lights were out. She want to the toilet in total darkness. He didn't realize she was out if bed.

He didn't call out before shooting. He didn't think - maybe my gf is the one in the toilet? He didn't confirm his target before firing? He was a great shot and experienced with guns, but just blasted away?

He was in a panic, but hit the toilet area with uncanny accuracy (75% blind).

Oh, and he has sonar. He wouldn't know where an intruder was in the room (climbing in window, at door, stealing toilet paper) - but he shoots one precise location rather than spray the room?

She didn't scream at the first shot? He shot 4 times at different angles, but didnt hear a woman screaming and pulled back?

He's that scared of intruders, but doesn't have a dog? Or body guard? Or panic room?

He deserves a fair trial and the presumption of innocence. But I find his defense difficult to believe.

·
Banned
8,103 Posts
If we're going to talk about CSI and ballistics, let's not forget that bladerunner kicked through the door. So it's been shot four times and kicked in; the door could be in splinters. Once again it's possible that the overzealous, lying cop (who is up on attempted murder charges) was premature in his claims regarding the height of the gunshots.

Again, this isn't to say that Pistorius is innocent. This is saying that crappy cops and crooked prosecutors put innocent people behind bars. When their shenanigans are exposed, the shoddy work of crappy cops causes guilty people to go free.

He's that scared of intruders, but doesn't have a dog? Or body guard? Or panic room?
No panic room?

GUILTY!

Live in a one bedroom apartment but cannot afford a bodyguard?

GUILTY

Travel all the time as a pro athlete but don't want to take care of a dog?

GUILTY!

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
nobody go shooting at somebody 4 rounds straight. Most of the time you shoot 1-2 rounds and stop to reassess the situation.

furthermore, anyone who has ever slept with a partner knows dam well that if your partner rolls out of bed at night, you know s/he has, unless you are dead drunk. But seeing how he has no problem shooting 4 rounds in the dark with good accuracy, one would have to say he was not drunk or doped up that would affect his mental awareness.

only a murderer would shoot 4 rounds straight at someone before stopping to think, because the intent was to kill. I hope this mofo does not walk like that fool OJ, but there is a good chance he might because I see a lot of similarities between this case and the OJ case

·
Banned
8,103 Posts
nobody go shooting at somebody 4 rounds straight. Most of the time you shoot 1-2 rounds and stop to reassess the situation.
The police shoot 8-10 rounds into suspects all the time.
furthermore, anyone who has ever slept with a partner knows dam well that if your partner rolls out of bed at night, you know s/he has, unless you are dead drunk. But seeing how he has no problem shooting 4 rounds in the dark with good accuracy, one would have to say he was not drunk or doped up that would affect his mental awareness.
This works in his favor IMO. The fact that he wasn't drunk tends to show that he wasn't in a drunken rage -- most of the time couples get in big fights one or both have been drinking.
only a murderer would shoot 4 rounds straight at someone before stopping to think, because the intent was to kill.
His intent to kill is not an issue.

Of course he was trying to kill the person in the bathroom. The issue is not whether he was trying to kill the person in the bathroom, it was whether he held the mistaken belief that it was an intruder.

If you're going to get worked up about the accuracy, take another look at the bathroom diagram. That bathroom is the same size as the shower. Maybe 3X4ft. It's tiny. A real challenge would be shooting through that door four times without hitting someone.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.