Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well everyone it has been a long time since our last post. We have not been sitting back doing nothing though. We had a few investors interested in the product but when it came down to actual money their talk was bigger than their wallet. Now the good news is that we have been working with LOOK bicycle in France for the last 5 or 6 months. They have been awesome to work with. Unfortunately here at the end they decided not to move forward with our pedal as they just geared up their factory for the 2020 pedal that they have invested so much into. Vincent (the R&D manager) was extremely positive and told us that he felt we had a good product and hopefully we could get it to market. So that is what we have been working on the last month or so. There are different avenues that we will be trying to go.

We know that we have a good pedal as it has been tested it seems like forever with no issues. We know that we are not about go cure cancer but we know that we have the fastest pedal out there. It will be marketed at a good price.

I believe that this sums up everything and I will be responding as I am able.

We also have this thread on BikeForums.net's road cycling area. Just looking for more input.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Are you getting the same input there as you got here? Which wasn't real positive. This is the pedal that's basically a spindle that you slide the shoe onto using an enormous cleat, right?

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,822 Posts
Reinventing the wheel is a beautiful thing.

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
My honest opinion is that your pedal/cleat design doesn't have a market.

It does look like clipping in would be very easy. That's the only selling point I can see.
If that is the case:

There may be a small segment of Freds, Beginners and people who just can't figure it out with other pedals who that might appeal to. But how many of them would be best off with no float and wouldn't just use platforms if clipping in is an issue. That market segment also tends to care about walking and not scratching floors. Your cleats look like a big fail there.

Mtn Bikers and Cyclocross riders would probably like the easy in also. But again how many of them don't want float? And there's the walking/running thing. Imagine a metal clear walking along a hunk or granite. And those cleats look as if some mud would really f up functionality.

Commuters - Again the walking and scratching floors thing.

Roadies - Maybe a few that don't care about float will be interested. I assume they are light too and they (we) tend to have a lot of suckers for anything new and light so perhaps a small segment of the no float roadie crowd would be interested.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
I assume they are light too and they (we) tend to have a lot of suckers for anything new and light so perhaps a small segment of the no float roadie crowd would be interested.
Yeah, but that only works if the weight of the cleat -- which is basically the pedal -- is excluded. Then again, the ability of the cycling industry to churn out "improvements" and reinvent the wheel seems endless. I await the next reincarnation of biopace chain rings. Anyone spot a bike with those over size derailer pulleys lately? And oh yeah, disc brakes.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are you getting the same input there as you got here? Which wasn't real positive. This is the pedal that's basically a spindle that you slide the shoe onto using an enormous cleat, right?

The answer is yes and no. We have refined the spindle and we have an entire different cleat than before I do believe.

I can't believe Look decided not to move forward with your pedal, did they not see the video of Roger sprinting?
I think because we had some action shots of Roger that it kept us in the loop a little longer.

That is not a bad idea. But we have started an entire company with a website/FB/etc so it is kind of a new set up.

great news...thanks for sharing.
No problem

So......your pedal is D.O.A., and this is the last we'll hear about it?
You never know, I'm not a quitter & an optimist.

With any luck.
Everyone needs a little luck.

Reinventing the wheel is a beautiful thing.
I can't think of how many different cars that are offered. With different shapes, sizes, costs, etc. Maybe there will be room for one more set of pedals that are the fastest and easiest to learn with.

My honest opinion is that your pedal/cleat design doesn't have a market.

It does look like clipping in would be very easy. That's the only selling point I can see.
If that is the case:

There may be a small segment of Freds, Beginners and people who just can't figure it out with other pedals who that might appeal to. But how many of them would be best off with no float and wouldn't just use platforms if clipping in is an issue. That market segment also tends to care about walking and not scratching floors. Your cleats look like a big fail there.

Mtn Bikers and Cyclocross riders would probably like the easy in also. But again how many of them don't want float? And there's the walking/running thing. Imagine a metal clear walking along a hunk or granite. And those cleats look as if some mud would really f up functionality.

Commuters - Again the walking and scratching floors thing.

Roadies - Maybe a few that don't care about float will be interested. I assume they are light too and they (we) tend to have a lot of suckers for anything new and light so perhaps a small segment of the no float roadie crowd would be interested.
Thank you for the lengthy opinion, these are a different cleat. Maybe you can take a peak at them on the website.

Yeah, but that only works if the weight of the cleat -- which is basically the pedal -- is excluded. Then again, the ability of the cycling industry to churn out "improvements" and reinvent the wheel seems endless. I await the next reincarnation of biopace chain rings. Anyone spot a bike with those over size derailer pulleys lately? And oh yeah, disc brakes.
I think that there is always room for change. Not trying to out sell Shimano. Just a couple guys having fun. It would be nice to sell a certain amount of units a month in the US and we would be happy.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
I think my use of the word "suckers" covers that. I know, most thinking people realize that weight is weight but the dude that just cares what his 'bike' weight either doesn't realize or is happy to ignore it.

I've been thinking of picking up where speedplay left off coming up with a way to attach entire crank arms to my shoes to really cut down bike weight.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
And the OP needs to come up with a better name than pitbull pedal. Something euro techie. Lets have a name contest.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I name things for a living (really, that's my job) and I thought it was hilarious that a pedal, most feared would cause awful punctures/injuries, was named "Pitbull". Who says there's no truth in advertising ;-)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And the OP needs to come up with a better name than pitbull pedal. Something euro techie. Lets have a name contest.
If you had thought of this earlier I could've done it, but everything is already filed under the name. Also our logo is a pitbull holding a pedal.

I name things for a living (really, that's my job) and I thought it was hilarious that a pedal, most feared would cause awful punctures/injuries, was named "Pitbull". Who says there's no truth in advertising ;-)
I appreciate your job, but in this case it would be like a pitbull with no teeth. Our pedal has a full 3/4" blunt end to prevent harm in a fall.

pitbullbikepedal.com

I'd like to see the test sampling to determine this is the fastest road bike pedal. :rolleyes:

lmao. You can literally patent... ANYTHING.

Like... the Hiccup Treatment... So brilliant it's patented!

Oh its you again. As far as speed, get a stopwatch and test your or anyone else's pedals. Both feet on the ground to both feet engaged. In our video I said around 2 or 2.5 seconds, which made me laugh when I played the video and timed it myself it is under 2 seconds to have both feet engaged. That is why I believe we are the fastest with a 360 degree entrance. How many patents do you have?

·
Registered
19,756 Posts
Oh its you again.
Yea... it's me again. And if you go back to your original thread, the idea for a full 3/4" blunt end to prevent harm in a fall, that was MY suggestion which you changed from your round nose design.

You're welcome.

As far as speed, get a stopwatch and test your or anyone else's pedals. Both feet on the ground to both feet engaged. In our video I said around 2 or 2.5 seconds, which made me laugh when I played the video and timed it myself it is under 2 seconds to have both feet engaged.
I can do it in 2 or 2.5 seconds.
But that's not the point. I asked about YOUR test sampling. A sampling of (1) is meaningless.

How many patents do you have?
One. But that doesn't prove anything.
Like I said... anyone can patent any stupid idea. Merely having a patent is not a metric of brilliance.

1 - 20 of 252 Posts