Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

201 - 220 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
What I said was more than opinion, it is based on 3+ decades of cycling with others. Road and trail.
I appreciate how long you have been riding. I am just a firm believer that everyone has an opinion about everything. Yours is 100% correct for you. Thanks

There's no harm in having both feet on the ground, other than being caught off guard when the light turns. But you are in a vast minority. You've created a solution for... you.

Clearly you haven't done any market research on who you will be selling your product to.
Clearly you are absolutely right, we are just two guys that have had an idea of a new pedal. We have pursued it until we thought that we have it perfected. We will attempt to move on with sales as we acquire parts.

I don't know nor have I seen anyone that rides enough to be on clipless pedals ever take both feet off the pedals when stopped. The only time I see that is when complete beginners waddle in to the bike shop with the bike between their legs.
Funny. It is amazing that people will go on and on about if you ever have both feet on the ground at any point during the ride or not. It is just if you do that it is quicker & easier to get back in with our pedals.

What's the big hurry to get clipped in? Even if both feet are unclipped, for some reason, at a red light, a smart cyclist is paying enough attention to traffic and their surroundings to clip in when the cross traffic gets the yellow. And then it's just a matter of clipping into the other pedal when pedaling starts.

If a cyclist isn't paying enough attention to their surroundings to know when the traffic light is changing that cyclist should probably be riding on the sidewalk and walking their bike thru intersections.
Maybe you have not ridden in many large group rides. But in a pack of bikes it is nice to get clipped in quickly so you don't have a problem or make a problem for someone behind you.

only time I unclip both pedals is to dismount.
That is good but when you are at a traffic light and your one foot is clipped in (for me it is my left foot) and you push off with your left foot as the right pedal comes up, with our pedal you are able to engage so fast that you turn it into an immediate power stroke.

And yet he posts 4 more times.........
Yes, but I did say that if anyone had anything to say I would respond. I'm just trying not to bring up anything new. I'm just hoping to get the pedals manufactured and send out many samples across the country. Some will be going to this forum if requested.

Pitbull,

On a different topic, I hope you plan of making some kind of cover for those cleats which will be wood floor gougers without them.
The original cleats were made out of aluminum and stainless. The final product turned out to be glass filled nylon with a long no slip rubber pad across the bottom. Shouldn't scratch anything.

That was covered in the other thread... and dismissed.
I did take the worries into account, we have gone with glass filled nylon with a hard rubber pad.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,225 Posts
I appreciate how long you have been riding. I am just a firm believer that everyone has an opinion about everything. Yours is 100% correct for you. Thanks
If you can't understand the difference between opinion and observations, that explains a lot.

·
Registered
19,696 Posts
Maybe you have not ridden in many large group rides. But in a pack of bikes it is nice to get clipped in quickly so you don't have a problem or make a problem for someone behind you.
Several of us have told you we've done many group rides. Actually it's not nice to get clipped in quickly. Inevitably, there's someone in front who's slower or misses their pedal. If you're behind them and gung ho to go, you're gonna ram into them. Or have to stop again.

I seriously question your experience riding with others.

The original cleats were made out of aluminum and stainless. The final product turned out to be glass filled nylon with a long no slip rubber pad across the bottom. Shouldn't scratch anything.
Well that's an improvement if it's strong enough. But doesn't that make the cleat considerably taller than it already is?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
Post a pic of you on a large group ride.

Here is a picture of Roger and I doing a coast to coast ride across Florida. Starting on the East Coast coming to the West Coast. I have ridden the horrible 100 (2 or 3 times) with many riders. I have also done quite a lot of charity rides with a lot of people in those also. Then there is just standard group rides with Suncoast Cycling and others.

Several of us have told you we've done many group rides. Actually it's not nice to get clipped in quickly. Inevitably, there's someone in front who's slower or misses their pedal. If you're behind them and gung ho to go, you're gonna ram into them. Or have to stop again.

I seriously question your experience riding with others.

Well that's an improvement if it's strong enough. But doesn't that make the cleat considerably taller than it already is?
I don't know what to say other than when you are in the car and the light turns green you don't just plow into the person in front of you, same concept. It is just nice not to be the one holding up the group.

As far as the height of the new cleat we were able to keep everything at around the same height. It may be an additional 1/16th of an inch. That is a small price to pay to have the non-slip surface and sound deadening if you are walking on a tile floor in a store.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
The light turned green... the guys clipped in and were GONE. I mean, how'd they clip in so fast? I'll bet it took them less than 2.2 seconds. It took me almost 2.5 seconds to clip in. It wasn't fast enough... I never rejoined the group. I miss those guys.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
The light turned green... the guys clipped in and were GONE. I mean, how'd they clip in so fast? I'll bet it took them less than 2.2 seconds. It took me almost 2.5 seconds to clip in. It wasn't fast enough... I never rejoined the group. I miss those guys.
Funny. But I think that a lot of people are just missing my point here. We are only saying that we believe that we are the fastest to clip into. If you are riding in a group, for me would be along Gulf Blvd when you get down south there are a lot of traffic lights and stops unfortunately. I am just saying that if you were in the middle of the pack and the guy in front of you can't find his clip and you all are stuck behind him then the lead man is just getting further and further away. I'll give you my theory on that also. On a group ride nobody in the front of the pack should leave a traffic light fast. They should just simply take off and start ramping up slowly to let the entire pack form a line. Only then start picking up the pace.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Funny. But I think that a lot of people are just missing my point here. We are only saying that we believe that we are the fastest to clip into.
I think you're missing the point. Clip-in time is not a problem with existing pedals. So, even if your pedals are quicker to clip into -- which is an unsupported claim -- your pedals are a "solution" to a non-existent problem.

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
Funny. But I think that a lot of people are just missing my point here. We are only saying that we believe that we are the fastest to clip into. If you are riding in a group, for me would be along Gulf Blvd when you get down south there are a lot of traffic lights and stops unfortunately. I am just saying that if you were in the middle of the pack and the guy in front of you can't find his clip and you all are stuck behind him then the lead man is just getting further and further away. I'll give you my theory on that also. On a group ride nobody in the front of the pack should leave a traffic light fast. They should just simply take off and start ramping up slowly to let the entire pack form a line. Only then start picking up the pace.
So what you're saying here is that the guy in front of me needs your pedals.

·
Registered
11,066 Posts
on a typical in-town ride, I probably clip in my right foot about 20 times...

not once are there ever any nagging thoughts about how 'slowly' it happens.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
I think you're missing the point. Clip-in time is not a problem with existing pedals. So, even if your pedals are quicker to clip into -- which is an unsupported claim -- your pedals are a "solution" to a non-existent problem.
There are only a few clip in pedal options that I am aware of. I believe that there is room for one more. Just as though there are so many different makes and models of cars. You may not have a problem with clipping in but maybe you did when you first started riding and it has just been so long ago that you don't remember. I do believe that our pedal is going to be awesome for newbies and because we know it holds a lot of pressure in sprinting and riding extremely hard, I think that it would be a good option for the class A riders as well. We will be making some of the pedals in titanium as we move forward so we also believe that they would be one of the lightest pedals on the market as well.

So what you're saying here is that the guy in front of me needs your pedals.
Well if the guy did have them he wouldn't be holding you up. Haha

on a typical in-town ride, I probably clip in my right foot about 20 times...

not once are there ever any nagging thoughts about how 'slowly' it happens.
I understand that, with some of the other pedals obviously you are able still to get in without missing often. We just believe our pedal is superior.

Only if you have both feet on the ground.
We have to get past this both feet on the ground. We just gave a scenario that if you had both feet, ours would be the easiest and quickest to get into. However someone chooses to ride is their option. Even with only clipping in one foot our pedal is much faster, as you are on an immediate power stroke.

·
Registered
19,696 Posts
We have to get past this both feet on the ground. We just gave a scenario that if you had both feet, ours would be the easiest and quickest to get into.
We don't have to get past it. It's the entire basis on why you think your pedal is super duper fast.

Even with only clipping in one foot our pedal is much faster, as you are on an immediate power stroke.
B.S. How do you define 'much' faster?

Let me remind you. We're talking about 3 seconds (or less).

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
We don't have to get past it. It's the entire basis on why you think your pedal is super duper fast.

B.S. How do you define 'much' faster?

Let me remind you. We're talking about 3 seconds (or less).
You keep referring to B.S. I assure you there is no B.S. intended from our end. In almost anything time does matter. Whether it is to win a race or just to complete clipping in so you can physically look up again and make sure everything is moving the way it should be. Like I had said in an earlier post there are many makes and models of car and only a few types of clip in pedals. As ours do look similar from some made back in the day I assure you that they are different enough and that is how we were able to get the patent. As far as the video that you've posted from GCN that is possibly a pro rider and that could've been the 4th or 5th take to make the video. Nobody really knows. When we get these pedals made, you would definitely be one person that I would be more than happy to send a set to so you could give them a try. If you didn't like them for some reason then you could simply throw them away. No harm no foul as you would just be one person that did not particularly like this method.

·
Registered
19,696 Posts
You keep referring to B.S. I assure you there is no B.S. intended from our end.
You didn't answer my question.
How do you define 'much' faster (than 3 seconds)?

In almost anything time does matter. Whether it is to win a race or just to complete clipping in so you can physically look up again and make sure everything is moving the way it should be.
Clipping in doesn't win races. You really should stop talking about racing.

As far as the video that you've posted from GCN that is possibly a pro rider and that could've been the 4th or 5th take to make the video. Nobody really knows.
Wrong. We do know. We can do that. Usually faster than 3 seconds. It doesn't take a pro rider.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
You didn't answer my question.
How do you define 'much' faster (than 3 seconds)?

Clipping in doesn't win races. You really should stop talking about racing.

Wrong. We do know. We can do that. Usually faster than 3 seconds. It doesn't take a pro rider.
I don't exactly know how to answer your question, other than the easier it is to engage the pedal which means the quicker it is to start pedaling and to look up and be safe in your environment. You're killing me Willis :)

The only time racing ever came up was with the news interview that lasted for 45 minutes to an hour and she happened to pick that sentence out of the thousands of words that we discussed.

The whole point of my video was to show that you can get both feet clipped in, in 2 seconds. Which actually took less than 2 seconds on the video. Whether you have both feet on the ground or one clipped in, ours I just believe is much quicker and efficient to get clipped into with 360 degrees of entry.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Like I had said in an earlier post there are ... only a few types of clip in pedals.
Only a few? Competitive Cyclist sells over 125 pedals on their website. Over 80 of those are two-sided pedals that are really quick and easy to clip into.

As far as the video that you've posted from GCN that is possibly a pro rider and that could've been the 4th or 5th take to make the video. Nobody really knows.
You're probably right. Clipping into ordinary pedals is so difficult, it likely took a former pro rider 4 or 5 attempts to successfully do it.

201 - 220 of 252 Posts