Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a lurker, and need some info. I am looking for a used cross frame, I know that mtbr and rbr are good places, but is there somewhere else? I need something basic, with a 51-52cm horizontal toptube. I went to usenet, and I only get answers about road frames, they seem to not know about canti brakes.

thanks for any help
scott

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
azguy_in_dc said:
I am a lurker, and need some info. I am looking for a used cross frame, I know that mtbr and rbr are good places, but is there somewhere else? I need something basic, with a 51-52cm horizontal toptube. I went to usenet, and I only get answers about road frames, they seem to not know about canti brakes.

thanks for any help
scott

Local clubs/shops?

If you can wait a few months, I will have a used 46cm (level TT=52.8cm) Cross Check frameset (frame+fork+headset) on the market.

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
azguy_in_dc said:
I am looking for a used cross frame, I know that mtbr and rbr are good places, but is there somewhere else?
Ebay. Search for "cyclocross." Lots of frames move through Ebay. You might have to wait a bit but something will come up.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Ditto. E-bay. You can even find new ones (leftovers etc). Be patient. Sometimes they get crazy and the bids go thru the roff but if you're patient, you can often get a good deal.

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
Kram59 said:
Ditto. E-bay. You can even find new ones (leftovers etc). Be patient. Sometimes they get crazy and the bids go thru the roff but if you're patient, you can often get a good deal.
Snipe. That means wait until the auctionis almost over -- seconds to go -- before placing a bid. Also, have your max price in mind before bidding and stick to that price. Something else will come along that's just as good if you wait.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
I have become fairly good at this. Don't know why anybody would bid early.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

I know about the sniping at ebay, I have done it before for some other things. I was just hoping that there might be a place (or someone) where I could find something like an old touring frame or a hybrid frame.

scott

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
I would be able to help you out but my frames are too big:( Did you check the classifieds here?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
trust me I do

Kram59 said:
I would be able to help you out but my frames are too big:( Did you check the classifieds here?
I check rbr, newsgroups, mtbr several times a day, sometime you gotta be quick. I check ebay and watch every couple of days.

thanks for the info, if anyone has something, let me know

scott

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
I tend to find better deals here in RbR

than ebay. but bboth will work.also Craigs list.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I'd steer clear of the whole "used touring bike as a cross bike" plan, others have tried it before you and it really doesn't end up working very well if your intention is ring off road with larger tires. The geometry is not right and the crearnces for tires and mud are not sufficinet. You can get a decent used cross frame for 200-400 dollars

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks, but...

davidh said:
On y ibex cross race frame I will let it go for 275 which includes frame caron fork and cranks without bottom bracket
I have parts and stuff, and if it is a 54, it is way too big, I had a 52 Kona a while back, but the top tube was too long. I need it at 52cm effective horizontal, or just a bit shorter. Thanks though.

scott

1 - 16 of 16 Posts