Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gotta have a backup plan.

Miss M had been eyeing this weekend and the 4th of July holiday for a long time. She was thinking it was going to be the perfect time to get in some really long summer miles.

So she came up with “Plan A”, we would do the Tour de Montes in Maryland followed by a couple more days riding. Get 500+ miles in. We signed up for the tour, paid our registration and trained for the hills.

Oops, a couple of weeks ago our work plans changed killing “Plan A”.

Time for “Plan B”. Ride to Shepherdstown, stay in a nice hotel there for a couple of days, ride a lot and eat some fine food before riding home on the 4th.

Oops, family issues killed "Plan B".

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
O.K., time for me to get involved with the planning. Tour de Montes was out, getting too far out of town was out.

At least riding was still in.

“Plan C,” we would do something really long from home on Sunday, Monday we would drive somewhere, park the car and ride home then ride back to the car on Tuesday. Lots of riding and we would be able to cover a lot of area.

Sounded good.

Then the power went out.

So much for “Plan C”.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After all that planning went down the drain there was still time act so I says to Miss M, "It is time for Plan D. "What," she asks "Is Plan D."

"Simple", says I "We get on the darn bikes and ride."

So that is what we did.

Sunday 100 hot and humid hilly miles out the W&OD to Purceville and home via Whites Ferry and Maryland. Fixed of course.

Monday (Shown here) 100 hotter and humid miles down the Mt. Vernon Trail, through the Base to Mason Neck and back. Miss M fixed me not.

Tuesday 100 killer hot and humid miles out the W&OD to Waterford, home via bunches of dirt, the Tow Path and steaming hills. Both of us on gears.

It was good.

Ride your bike,
Don't forget Plan D.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Wow, I was thinking you'd say plan D was like 20 miles because you couldn't get out of town or anything. 100 miles is Plan D? Plan D is pretty awesome then. Our Plan B ended up being riding half of the Death Ride route over Ebbetts Pass to try and be ready for it this upcoming weekend. I didn't have a camera though :(.

·
Polka Power
1,348 Posts
MB1 said:
Guess I better start working on one.
Nice. I made it up to plan D'ish this weekend. I don't think it's worth its own post so I'll explain here: My brother and I were going to meet a friend of ours via bike at a ski resort about 60 rolling miles north north west of Philly. Spend the eve, then ride back the next day. Plan A: leave mid day Friday to ride up. Ride slow enough so my bro, who hasn't put many miles in, would feel up to riding back. Plan A axed when a client of mine had a photoshoot come up that HAD to be done midday friday. Plan B: Leave late afternoon and push the pace so we get there before dark. Got there after dark and exactly 2 mins before a major downpour. Put the hurt into my bro, had to really push to get up the last major hills. So....Plan C: Get my neighbor to bail out my bro about 10 miles out, then my friend and I ride the whole way. Fine. But my friend had fish for dinner and the fish...well the fish was angry about 10miles into the ride to the bro pickup point the next day. So...plan D: neighbor bail out bro and sick friend...and I bailed and that point as well (<-lame).

Insted we just rode some miles on the third....and hung around with friends on the fourth.

Oh well....still good times. I've attached a pic. First is me, second is the new bike, third is me and Mr. Sicko waiting for bailout.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
100 is great, but around here. . .

Everything is up! Everytime we get close to a century we've already climbed 8000 to 10000 (edit: after review of my riding log it's more around 6,000 to 8,000, whoops) foot of elevation. This week we only did a 75er (about 7000 elevation climb) and 40 (about 6,000 elevation climb) and my poor legs are shot. Now we've got the Deathride this weekend. Seems like you've (I think I remember you saying that) done all or part of it MB, 16,000 feet of elevation (or something like that) and 125 miles. :cryin: I'm interested to see if I'm going to hate my bike or not at the end.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is amazing how much easier the Western Climbs are.

It wasn't till I moved to DC from Orange County that I realized how steep steep can be. After doing just a couple of long hard rides around here I came to the conclusion that my Triple Crown setup just wasn't going to make it for the same sort of all day riding on the East Coast.

Out West most of the hard core long riders I rode with were on road racing bikes with double chainrings and perhaps a 12-27 cassette or triples with a 12-23. Of course the thing about those long West Coast and Rockies climbs is the long downhills that always follow. You never get that kind of recovery around here.

It is all hard but it sure is a different kind of hard to do a 10 minute climb and a 1 minute break pad smoking downhill 15-50 times a day vrs some kind of long downhill where you can actually pedal if you want to.

I soon realized that to survive big miles on the East Coast I needed something a bit more versatile. I started out with a Bianchi Reparto Corsa Cyclecrosser with a triple and a 12-32 cassette. I needed room for fenders and the longer wheelbase for the bad and dirt roads we always seemed to end up on. Now of course I am riding Waterford Road Sports with all the gears in the world (or just one-depending).

Anyway good for you to sign up for the Death Ride-just pace yourself on the first couple of climbs (let all the fools that don't understand what they are in for race the first climbs) eat and drink a lot (don't forget the suscreen) and finish strong.

Looking forward to the report.

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
I agree with the hot and humid on the 4th. I folded up like a cheap lawn chair on the 53 mile ride I did. I finished it ugly. Humidity and me are arch enemies and I keep losing the fights.

·
Grey Manrod
9,231 Posts
bigrider said:
I agree with the hot and humid on the 4th. I folded up like a cheap lawn chair on the 53 mile ride I did. I finished it ugly. Humidity and me are arch enemies and I keep losing the fights.
Glad I'm not the only one....

I did 50 on the 4th. Left the house at 11:30 am (so much for my early start), didn't eat enough for breakfast, and the only pre-ride hydration I had done was three cups of coffee.

The 25 miles home was the hardest ride I've done in recent memory. Full sun, temps in the 90's plus humidity. It felt like I was riding through an oven. "Finishing ugly" just about hits the nail on the head...

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The office may not be that nice but what a nice place to work.

Mason Neck Park is sweet!

Does it ever get crowded? We have never seen more than a few cars parked there and hardly a soul around. True we usually only visit there in the dead of winter or a weekday but it always seems very, very underused.

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
it was wild there on the 4th. I wasn't there, but I heard from the Chief Ranger that it was packed all day till the thunderstorm, then everyone ran away. There was a line of 20 cars at 8:00 when they were opening the gate. Usually its pretty quiet though. Mostly birdwatchers and the occasional kayaker or windsurfer.

·
C 1/5
613 Posts
Not to hijack your thread too much, but since it was about the 4th of July and we both live in the DC area, i thought i would share a few pics from the DC fireworks show.

we were at the Lincoln Memorial and the fireworks show was by far the best i've seen in my 38 years.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Unfortunately for me, I was doing Plan "Remodel the house" because I only have about 90 days until it needs to be done. Ever torn out ~1000 sq ft of 150 year old plaster? It sucked, and the clean up was 10x worse.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.