Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of riders were complaining about wheel slip on the uphill TT. With pedal mashing and low gear combos, such as Contador's 34*30, this is going to be a problem on the gravel.

I thought that the best way to combat this is by increasing tire width and/or reducing tire pressure. I run with a 28mm rear tire, 80-90 psi, on some of the dirt road races here in CO and find that it makes a significant difference.

What did the pros run with on this TT?

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
I've only seen gearing being talked about with this stage. I could have sworn Contador said he chose that gearing so he could do the gravel part while sitting with his weight shifted back over the rear wheel. I've been wrong before though. (And I had to walk part of a hill once because of wheelslip)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Einstruzende said:
I've only seen gearing being talked about with this stage. I could have sworn Contador said he chose that gearing so he could do the gravel part while sitting with his weight shifted back over the rear wheel. I've been wrong before though. (And I had to walk part of a hill once because of wheelslip)
That's what he said. But he didn't mention that the lower the gearing the greater the wheelslip. Shifting to a higher gear should lessen wheelslip but may require too much sustainable pedal force on the 24% slope.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.