Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Murphy1
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im headed out to WI this weekend to race for the first time. Was hoping to get some info from folks that have raced here in the past on what to expect. Also will have limited wheel choices since im traveling in from out of state so is this typically a muddy course or fine with grifos/

thanks

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
It rained heavily the night before the 1st race last year and it was not muddy. Couse is almost entirely grass and they re-route the steep up hills between saturday and Sunday. If you're racing early in the morning it'll be moist from condensation, but not muddy. The courses were really good last year, can't imaging they'd be any worse this year.

Vervekken (spelling?) won day 2 on file treads.

·
Registered
356 Posts
i'll be there!

i'm from madison, but now living in Philly. I'm there for a wedding saturday and racing sunday in the 2/3. woohoo! can't wait.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Last year the course was open for practice on Friday, I don't know if that's happening this year yet.

·
Registered
103 Posts
We're once again planning for the course to be open from 2-4pm on Friday. We actually are almost done marking the course as of last night. We haven't made a ton of changes from last year actually although we did tighten up the stairs on the hill to make them harder to ride. The course never gets really muddy as the land is a bunch of fill with lots of rocky stuff under the top soil (which is super fun to drive hundreds of wood stakes into). It is going to rain today though and there is a chance of rain tomorrow and Saturday.

Renee

·
Registered
356 Posts
a long shot, but figured i'd ask since i've never done a USGP race and I'm coming from Philly...any hope for a neutral support wheel pit?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sram will be here with their neutral support vehicle. I can't remember what they had with them last year but maybe someone who raced does.

·
Registered
356 Posts
one more Q Renee (and thanks in advance)...any clue if we'll be able to pre-ride the course between races? I'm the 2/3 Mens race

·
Registered
103 Posts
It is virtually impossible to get out on the course between races. The races are spaced pretty tight so there isn't much time for pre-riding between races as the finishers are often coming in as the start line call up procedure starts. You need to be at the start area at least 15 minutes before the start or you might miss your call up and be placed at the back (which in a field as big as the 2/3s would not be a good thing).

Renee

1 - 10 of 10 Posts