Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I`m a long time Mountain biker, but from a couple of months to now, I`m feeling something everytime I see a road bike. I do train on the trainer with a pseudo road bike, I call it that way, because it`s a MTB with a road crankset, just to have the resistance that the 52teeth provide :D .

Well, one of my concerns about buying a new bike, is that it`ll be most of the time (because of my busy schedule) attached to the trainer. In fact I have a bike attached to the trainer all year long, and when I train on the road just put some slicks to the MTB and the knobbys on the weekends, but I sill think that a road bike for going outside and make some long distane trainings (I already do long endurance rides on the MTB) will be better.

So is it bad for the frame life the twisting forces that it`ll experiment on the trainer? (Elite mag trainer). I mean, the pseudo bike is made of cr-mo, the new road bike (that I`m planning to buy) will be of aluminium (don`t want carbon....yet ;) , mainly because I`m a college student so I`LL HAVE TO PAY WITH MY MONEY for it :rolleyes: ). I don`t want that a new bike brakes because of that. I`m planning to use it attached to the trainer 4 or 5 days per week. On summer and spring breaks, it`ll be free on the road, and obviusly some weekends, too.

Finally my main options are between an Allez elite double and a Merida road 903.

Obviusly the merida bike is cheaper than the specialized, but both have 105 components and very similar for the rest (excluding the zerts insertions and all that, thing that I know I will thank when the road get harsh), but $$$...

Well, what do you think??

thanks a lot! and sorry for my english :eek:

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
have you thought about a cyclocross bike? Lemond Poprad, Surly Steamroller, etc.? for a mtber it might be a nice step in to the road - it worked for me anyways...

fit is the only thing that matters on a road bike - if that's right - everything else will come to you

welcome to the board

·
Colorado Springs, CO
629 Posts
Here's my $0.02:

1) Look up in the magazines, web sites, whatever and do some heavy research
2) What kind of riding? Mostly flat or lots of hills? Decide triple or double chain ring
3) What kind of components, carbon, steel, TI, etc
4) Whittle down to 2-4 choices
5) Go to LBS and tell them what you want to do with the bike
6) Tell them your research, let them give you their opinions back
7) Go ride a bunch of bikes
8) The "one" will come to you like a bolt of lightening. You'll know it because when you sit and ride it, it will feel really good to ride.
9) To take a statement from a previous post, the comfort and fit is everything.

Seems to me that there are literally tons of great bikes out there at very good prices. $700-$1000 will buy a nice bike. More money = more nice.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you are in the 700-1000 range did you look at Cannondale an R 700 goes for around a 1000. I saw a test on road bikes on trainers and Cannondale was one of the few that held up to the trainer. Several had cracks in the frame from stress on the trainer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Neibe said:
If you are in the 700-1000 range did you look at Cannondale an R 700 goes for around a 1000. I saw a test on road bikes on trainers and Cannondale was one of the few that held up to the trainer. Several had cracks in the frame from stress on the trainer.

Thanks, that`s what I`m talking about, I was looking at the Jamis quest with it`s reynolds frame I think that will stand the abuse of the trainer. What do you think?.
How was that test made?. Did the bikes crack just for putting them on the trainer and be used?.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
don't completely trust your feelings

Fit and comfort on a bike are effected a real lot by the position of the saddle, the saddle itself and tires. Bike shops can be pretty casual about setting up bikes for test rides so unless you get the same saddle set up close to the same place relative to the pedals and the bars you can be making a judgement based on easily changed variables rather than on the harder to change frame of the bike.

I have not found trainers to be hard on my bikes. I don't stand up and hammer very much when I ride them and only tighten the back enough to keep the bike from moving. The biggest problem is sweat, but an old pair of sweat pants strapped to the stem and the top tube takes care of that.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I bought a Specialized Allez Elite Double two days ago and I love it, It comes with a superior seat, an 80 dollar seat comes stock, the Double is great I have never owned a Double before, but I love it, it shifts much better on the chain than any triple I have ever used. The only gripe is the same one everyone says in the reviews, that the brakes are horrible. However, a new pair of brake pads costs 10 dollars. Anyways this bike has been wonderful for the 40 miles I have ridden it in the last two days. another bike I had been looking at was the Trek 1500, which is about 1000 dollars, I ended up liking the specialized frame better. Good Luck, if you haven't already read them the reviews are of great help on this site, to make it easy query them by lowest price.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
Don't worry about using the bike on the trainer. Bikes are tough. I mean, don't be a maniac outta the saddle torquing the frame from side-to-side, but otherwise no worries.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well...I`m not a maniac but

jtolleson said:
Don't worry about using the bike on the trainer. Bikes are tough. I mean, don't be a maniac outta the saddle torquing the frame from side-to-side, but otherwise no worries.
I do a lot of intervals on the trainer. In fact hard intervals (always seated) I just stand on the pedals for resting.

But I`ve been looking at some of this concerns about frame failure and trainers over the forum, and nobody seems to have a conclussive answer and the vast majority agree that that would not happend and if case of happening you have to thank God that it happens in your house, and not going down a hill at 60km/h :rolleyes:

For that reason I was thinking of getting the cr-mo bike, but after watching so many people saying "do it, no worry, you and your bike will be fine", I`m leaning towards the specialized...let the confussion begins!:eek:

Well, thanks a lot!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.