Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a can of this stuff for a spot on one of my break cables where the coating had been worn off. Seemed to work like a charm but thinking about it I wonder if it can protect tires from dry rot or touch up a handle bar grip that's worn or sun damaged. It's not spray paint it's like a flexible plastic. It's usually used for stuff like dipping a pair of pliers in if the rubber is gone off the handles or similar things.
download.jpg

·
Registered
21,579 Posts
Bought a can of this stuff for a spot on one of my break cables where the coating had been worn off. Seemed to work like a charm but thinking about it I wonder if it can protect tires from dry rot or touch up a handle bar grip that's worn or sun damaged. It's not spray paint it's like a flexible plastic. It's usually used for stuff like dipping a pair of pliers in if the rubber is gone off the handles or similar things.
I would think it would add a bit of weight to tires and many these days have filled rubber sidewalls such that dry rot is not an issue unless you're in the habit of leaving tires out in the shed for years. I think you just have to try it on the bar tape. I would be surprised if it was tough enough but you won't know until you try it.

·
Registered
11,073 Posts
have tried this product on various items, it's not very durable.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,152 Posts
Looks like snake oil to me.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Think you should take off your bar tape and use that instead, it may start a new trend.

·
The Cube
1,113 Posts
Agreeing with a lot of what has already been said, and I think it boils down to...if it works well for bike stuff, someone has made it and will sell it as a bike specific product. This really doesn't seem like it, though I can see it being useful in a pinch. As far as tires, I can only imagine the problems of wheel balance that would come with adding this weight in uneven ways. Replace tires with tires, replace bar tape with bar tape, etc, but again, not bad in a pinch the way you found it useful.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Ive used it with little success as tire replacement. I wouldnt recommend it for everyone, but for those I do, you know who you are.

i expect it's future formula to be a shoe-in tire tread substitute. It's cooommmmmmmming! and trump won.

·
Huge in Japan
439 Posts
I saw a display of stuff at Lowes that looked like a two part epoxy and fiber tape sold as a kit and the display had a myriad of illustrations (not pictures) of its possible uses. One of them illustrated repairing a top tube. I'm not saying we're at that point right now but just a rung or two away at most.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,152 Posts

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,152 Posts
I’m looking for something highly flammable that I could put on my legs and light to instantly burn away all my hair. Is that possible?
Sure. Whether you will be able to ride after that is up for debate.

We shouldn't laugh. I'm sure some dumb f**k has tried it with not so nice results.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,152 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Do you actually have anything useful to contribute? Is this part of some sort of bizarre "humor" effort?
can we get Kerry and some others to do a
“please just stop!”
in here, please!

This is a thread about plastic dip yet you all think this is some kinda bizarre “humor” effort. I can tell. Notice no one mentioned putting it on their penis for better grip? That’s because it’s not a thread for attempts at jokes and if it were I would’ve been there already, but it’s not.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts