Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am have an 80s Fuji Sagres touring bike. I want to use it for the rare tour, and as a rain bike. My local bike shop only carrys plastic fenders, and will install them for free.

My question is about the quality of plastic fenders. I believe they are made by Freddy.

Any opinions based on expierence?

Thanks... :)

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
They are probably Planet Bike Freddie fenders. I have had a pair on my commuter for about 5 years now and they're just starting to get a little less springy. I snapped part of the front fender forward of the brake when it got caught on a backpack strap but other than that they've held up well to daily abuse. Also you have to be careful when changing a flat on the rear that you don't set the bike down on the rear fender.

I wouldn't worry about quality, they are the go-to fender standard these days.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
You mean the Freddy Fenders? They're made by Planet Bike, and they're good stuff. (The Freddy Fender "brand" is a nod to the Tex-Mex/country singer of the same name...) I haven't used any other brand of fenders, but then, I haven't had any reason to.

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Those are the fenders I was refering to. I just wasnt sure how well they would hold up. This isnt going to be a high quality bike, so cost is an issue. I'm glad to hear they seem to hold up well.

Thanks for the tip on not setting the rear down while changin a tube. I'm sure I would have done that, had you not mentioned it. :)

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
I have plastic SKS fenders and they are holding up fine. I made a little extension out of a dishsoap bottle to give the front fender a little more coverage. I always wondered how they would fare in sub freezing temps that might make them brittle. Nothing colder than around 63 degrees here.

·
Polka Power
1,348 Posts
bigbill said:
I have plastic SKS fenders and they are holding up fine. I made a little extension out of a dishsoap bottle to give the front fender a little more coverage. I always wondered how they would fare in sub freezing temps that might make them brittle. Nothing colder than around 63 degrees here.

SKS here. Abused in Philadelphia for 5 years on and off....snow and ice...salt...10" of water....rocks from offroading. I never noticed any issues with cold. They look a bit rough now and the back one cracked down by where it meets the chainstay bridge. I think it was cracked while it was off the bike.... in the basement. Too much bike stuff piled up there. That said...they are still 100% functional.

They rock. Worth the 30-40 bucks. I never used extensions. The front could use an extension if you are worried about wet feet....otherwise it was ok for me. The back needs an extension if you ride in a group as it will "rooster tail" whoever is behind you.

Sorry I don't have experience with the planet bike ones....

·
Registered
324 Posts
They have the least coverage of any dedicated fender that I've seen. For your friends sake I hope you have a large buddy flap on the rear rather than the pathetic little lip that they include. If you don't have any friends, now you know why! =)

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've got freddy fenders on my bike, too. They held up VERY well through the winter. Even in -10F temps (-25F wind chill). Only complaint I have is that the mud flaps on them are crap. I drilled the rivets out and used some stair tread to put a full-length mudflap on 'em. I have coverage down to about 3/4" from the ground. Rain, puddles, etc... my feet stay dry. And so does my kid when I've got him on the trail-a-bike behind me. It also gives me one more place to put a reflector on the back of the bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.