Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Colorado Springs, CO
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the plastic "protector" that is behind the cog on the rear wheel necessary? Mine is getting roughed up and loose. Can I just cut the thing off and ride without it? I haven't had any problems with the chain slipping up and off the topmost cog into the spokes (which I guess this is supposed to protect against). My bike is a Trek Pilot 5.0 with the Bontrager Race wheels that came with the bike.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
432 Posts
People are so used to shifting the blame for their stupidity or carelessness that the major mfg's of bike put them on all their bikes. They are unnecessary for most folks who don't drop their bikes, bending the derailleur or turn the little screws on it not knowing what they do.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
It is necessary to show that the owner of the bike is pretty "green".
I guess that you could bust it off, but you will probably leave chunks of it still sticking out of your wheel. The proper way to remove it is to remove your cassette with the proper tool, and then just pull off the spoke protector.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
Think it through....

The rude answer is if you need to ask if you need it, then you do.

On the one hand, on a well maintained, properly adjusted, and well-cared-for bike, it's not necessary.

On the other hand, if it's getting roughed up, ya gotta ask why. If it's getting roughed up, it's doing it's job, and so maybe it is necessary.

It's not there so much to keep the chain out of the spokes, but to keep the derailleur out. (The chain and the spokes move together, if you're holding up your end of the bargain, so no real damage would occur if the chain did go that way.) But let the derailleur move into the spokes, and someone's in for lots of repair. Where ever that chain might go, the der. is gonna get there first, and do a lot more damage.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I would leave it on there... My bike once fell over (as it has before) and I did not notice that the derailleur hanger was bent. I took the bike out for a spin and discovered that in the largest tooth cog, there was some noise. When I looked at it closer, I noticed that the noise was the rear derailleur hitting the guard.

If you can ensure that your rear derailleur will always be adjusted properly, no problem, but stuff happens at home and on the road. It's a personal preference. I prefer to keep mine, just in case.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I have seen what can happen without that plastic thing in mountain biking, where rocks, roots, etc are never too far from your derailleur. It is not pretty, I assure you.

Granted on the road you are less likely to have weird accidents, but to actually make an effort to remove it is a bit of a "poser" move in my opinion. Sorry, but it reminds me of fixie riders who are eager to remove brakes to show their "level of expertise". :)

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
Einstruzende said:
I like seeing those things on a set of SSC SLs. And I have too, during those really big organized rides like Hilly Hundred in Indiana.
Oh my gooosh.
Yeah, I like the Seven, with CF tubies. At least CF I think. And then alllll the reflectors and maybe a couple more. And the spoke saver. And warning labels... And a helmet reflector... and 14 risers... With a rider in a USPS jersey.
It always makes me happy. I kind of feel bad when they're pushing their bikes up the hill though.
-estone2

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
undies said:
Awww :(. I no a snob. I like the snobs who have decked out bikes with reflectors. Tis all.
I would hate to be a snob looking at myself. My left shoe has to be duct taped shut as of 3 months ago, and the right's gonna be at that point too. My bike weighs 23.5 pounds, cost me half of what a lot of guys pay for wheels, and... yessir those are SPD's on my bike, thank ya much. Not to mention that recently ive managed to get a chain tattoo on every ride...
-estone2

·
Registered
372 Posts
Lets see, lower my risk of needing a new rear wheel or at least a rebuild or fit in better with bike snobs. I chose to leave mine on.

BTW one of these days I'll remember to take the size and warning stickers off, its only been 3 years.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
enki42ea said:
Lets see, lower my risk of needing a new rear wheel or at least a rebuild or fit in better with bike snobs. I chose to leave mine on.

BTW one of these days I'll remember to take the size and warning stickers off, its only been 3 years.
I left mine on my MTB. I took it off on the road bike because my rear wheel sucks so bad that if it dies, even a sora hub would be an improvement. Thus if it breaks I have nothing to lose and everything to gain :p. Also, I figure, the derailleur shouldnt go over that far unless you whack it, I dont think the roadie gets many whacks.
-estone2

·
TWD
603 Posts
funny thing happended after the last thread list this

was thinking about removing my disc ... I generally keep my bike/derails in tune so what's the use, right?
Went on a daily organized ride and the ride leader threw his chain and we spent the better part of 30 minutes removing his mangled chain from his back wheel. Removing it for vanity became very apparent
When your riding behind my Madone trying to grab some wheel, please check out my dork disc :)

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
Travis said:
was thinking about removing my disc ... I generally keep my bike/derails in tune so what's the use, right?
Went on a daily organized ride and the ride leader threw his chain and we spent the better part of 30 minutes removing his mangled chain from his back wheel. Removing it for vanity became very apparent
When your riding behind my Madone trying to grab some wheel, please check out my dork disc :)
I also removed mine cuz it was getting nast and torqued, though I doubt that many people who keep them on would be receptive to that. Removing it for vanity seems to be the same reason you guys are hitting again and again... And now you're suggesting that we're slow as well... Slow and snobby, two things I would dare to say I'm not.
-estone2

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.