Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here ever ride w/ platform pedals? I've got an entry-level roadbike (Fuji Ace) with clipless pedals but I've recently decided to start riding it to and from my gym to add to the workout and cut down on gas. As you can imagine, the stairstepper and leg-press don't work too well with roadshoes.

Sure, sure, I could bring a second pair of shoes to the gym. But that requires that I carry a gym bag and use a locker etc.

Lets assume I dont want to do this, does anyone have any platform pedal recomendations? Ones that would work well with gym-shoes?

Thx!
Chris

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Love em.

I put MKS RMX platform pedals on my fixed gear bike. I found I'm no faster or slower with these things than with the clipless pedals I used to run. I feel more at ease on dirt roads, and like the way I can lean the bike against a tree and explore the area on foot wearing my hiking shoes. Upwards of 120 rpm things do get a little sketchy - at those cadences, it's easy to slip off the pedal.

One added benefit: because you can't pull back, pull up or push forward, platform pedals primarily work your quads and glutes as you mash your way down the road. If you need some improvement in the big-gear, low-cadence area, these things will definitely do it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
On my single speed I have the pedals with the SPD clips on one side and platforms on the other.
That way if I'm just heading out with the kids I can throw on tennies or if I'm riding with my buddies I can wear my shoes with clips
I think I paid like 19 bucks at performance

-Rich

·
Registered
635 Posts
rzims said:
On my single speed I have the pedals with the SPD clips on one side and platforms on the other.
That way if I'm just heading out with the kids I can throw on tennies or if I'm riding with my buddies I can wear my shoes with clips
I think I paid like 19 bucks at performance

-Rich
my roomate has them on his "campus cruiser" that does double duty as an extra mtb.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Yeah, you'll be fine if you're just mucking about or lightweight commuting.
That doesn't hold true for me. This is strictly a personal observation, but I can't tell a huge difference beween recreationally riding clipped in or not. I routinely do group rides with clipped-in riders and other than the "final sprint," I can hang in there on platforms and sneakers. I gave this some thought and still am not sure why I can't tell much of a difference: either my clipped-in pedaling technique really sucks and therefore gives me no advantage over riding platforms, or I'm so good and strong that I don't need no stinking clip-ins. I strongly suspect my first thought to be the reason.:D But it would be interesting to run a clipped-versus-platform time trial one day.

As far as fast bike-handling and safety is concerned, clipped-in is the only way.

·
Home Brew User!
2,812 Posts
I fully agree

wim said:
That doesn't hold true for me. This is strictly a personal observation, but I can't tell a huge difference beween recreationally riding clipped in or not. I routinely do group rides with clipped-in riders and other than the "final sprint," I can hang in there on platforms and sneakers. I gave this some thought and still am not sure why I can't tell much of a difference: either my clipped-in pedaling technique really sucks and therefore gives me no advantage over riding platforms, or I'm so good and strong that I don't need no stinking clip-ins. I strongly suspect my first thought to be the reason.:D But it would be interesting to run a clipped-versus-platform time trial one day.

As far as fast bike-handling and safety is concerned, clipped-in is the only way.
I do about half my riding on platforms and can't say there is a big difference until you get to the high cadence as you mentioned (110 +). I too do many group rides on platform.

IMO being clipped in is as overrated as "rotational weight" for the vast majority of riders. Almost all the falls I've seen or been a part of would have been avoid with platforms.

I highly recommend that C/B paced riders use them. I assume that for longer, faster paced rides being clipped in helps me but I can't say to what degree.

I would not consider commuting with anything else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.