Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Specialized Tarmac with Ultegra components. I notice that my rear brake pivots on the mounting bolt. I can turn the thing with moderate effort by hand. I don't want to tighten the mounting bolt too much, because I don't want to crack the frame. However, sometimes, the brakes get out of alignment and rub. How easy should it be to rotate the brakes? The front ones seem much more secure.

·
Registered
21,726 Posts
I have a Specialized Tarmac with Ultegra components. I notice that my rear brake pivots on the mounting bolt. I can turn the thing with moderate effort by hand. I don't want to tighten the mounting bolt too much, because I don't want to crack the frame. However, sometimes, the brakes get out of alignment and rub. How easy should it be to rotate the brakes? The front ones seem much more secure.
It's all a definition of "moderate effort." You don't want them so tight that they will break rather than move but you shouldn't have them knocked out of line just by taking a wheel off. It sounds like you could tighten the nut "just a little" and be fine.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info!

I have an in-LB torque wrench that goes up to 60, and a ft-LB/N.m torque wrench that starts at 5 and goes in 5N.m increments, so it's not all that accurate below 15 N.m

Basically, I used two precise instruments to estimate in a somewhat imprecise way.

However, it was still good advice, and the brake seems pretty firmly affixed.

I think the other lesson is to stop fiddling with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.