Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Tarmac Pro. Recently the integrated 08 S-Works Carbon Crank has developed a clunking sound under some pedaling conditions. If I grab both crank arms and wiggle, I can feel a small amount of play. The crank arms are torqued correctly. Does this mean the cups are loose? How can this be corrected?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
-dustin said:
how did you check torque on the crank arms? what tools did you use?

there are no "cups"...but bearings are pressed into the frame.
I used a 4 mm allen wrench to remove the cover screw. Then I used a long 6 mm allen wrench and my well-calibrated elbow on the center bolt. :) Trust me, that bolt was and is plenty tight.

And I apologize for my imprecise language. I meant to say bearings, not cups. It seems like the bearings may be loose. Do they need to be re-pressed? Or perhaps they have worn to the point wear they should be replaced.

Anyway, I am curious to hear if anyone has dealt with this issue. I've put 4000 miles on this rig. Plus maybe as much as 1-2000 by original owner.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys, thanks for the advice. It was helpful to have an idea before I charged in blind. I stopped by the shop, and the mechanic pulled it apart. He popped the shields off the bearing cartridges, wiped everything clean, and regreased. He put everything back together, carefully checking torque etc. So far, so good --- play is gone, super smooth. :thumbsup:

We were just going to replace the bearings, but the Specialized inventory system showed them as out of stock, not expected until May. If the problem returns, we'll replace them then.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts