Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little bit of play my right side Speedplay Zero pedal. Most of the play feels like it is at the pedal body closest to the crank.

I already took the pedal body off the spindle, cleaned, and relubed it. I also tried re-tightening the torx screw that holds the body on the spindle (preload?).

This is the second time in about a year that it has done this. The first time I was able to fix it by doing what I said above, but didnt work this time. I think part of the reason its coming loose on the right side is cus my right leg is all screwed up (I am using varus wedges). I think I am putting a lot of the force on the outer most part of the pedal.

Since I have screwed up legs, would switched to a Look style pedal help? I still would like to get this play out somehow though. Its not much but its enough to notice it while riding.

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
have you checked the cleat? i had a similar "problem" and checked and relubed the pedal and it turned out the screws attaching the cleat to the shoe had become loose.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
moschika said:
have you checked the cleat? i had a similar "problem" and checked and relubed the pedal and it turned out the screws attaching the cleat to the shoe had become loose.
there is play in the pedal.

·
Registered
713 Posts
So you can grab the pedal body with your hand and move it?
If yes, then you probably need a new bearing in the pedal. Maybe you can get it from Speedplay, or order from your LBS.

If not, and you are only feeling the movement when clipped in, then it likely has to do with your cleat:
- loose screws
- worn out clip in the cleat
- cleat not mounted flush to the shoe.

It could also be that the metal parts on the body of the pedal are worn out? I believe Speedplay sells a kit to rebuild them..

good luck.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
My SpeedPlay X2 Pedal Body has a little play when you grab it and try to wiggle it a little.
Works perfectly fine.
I just thought there was supposed to be a 'little' play. Both sides are the same.

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
jmlapoint said:
My SpeedPlay X2 Pedal Body has a little play when you grab it and try to wiggle it a little.
Works perfectly fine.
I just thought there was supposed to be a 'little' play. Both sides are the same.
there really shouldn't be much, if any, play in the pedal. if the pedal also spins loosely, then you may need to re-lube it. mine had a little play, that's why i thought it was the probem. when i re-lubed the play went away, that's when i checked the cleat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts