Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we have had the bike for a couple of weeks now and hadn't done anything really long yet. Mostly because the weather on the weekends has been iffy.

OTOH this week forecast was looking awfully good for mid week- lows in the 50's highs in the 70's with only a chance of afternoon thunderstorms.

I guess we will use some of the buckets of vacation time we have saved up.

Wednesday we loaded up the panniers and bike pooled to work. Late afternoon I headed over to the Hill to meet Miss M. In no time we were way out of town heading to Frederick.

Bright and early Thursday morning we were on the road. Nice rural roads in Frederick Valley heading north.

Actually heading north wasn't exactly what we were doing, we were flying north. Better yet when we turned around and headed home that stubborn headwind turned into a raging tailwind. [email protected] that bike is fast.

Hit town just in time to see the first traces of afternoon rush. Sure is nice to be on a bike.

A nice easy 300k under our belts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Terry Fly is a great saddle

Hi MB1, I see you've settled on the Terry Fly saddles. I've really enjoyed mine for the past 3 years and hope you enjoy yours as well.

How can I get one of those American Red Cross jerseys. I've been donating whole blood regularly for the past 2 years, and now do the double red cell donation every time I'm eligible. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jaimeS said:
Hi MB1, I see you've settled on the Terry Fly saddles. I've really enjoyed mine for the past 3 years and hope you enjoy yours as well.

How can I get one of those American Red Cross jerseys. I've been donating whole blood regularly for the past 2 years, and now do the double red cell donation every time I'm eligible. Thanks.

Those are the stock saddles. We haven't made any changes to the bike yet, still trying to figure out if the saddles will work for us or not. It is one thing to be comfortable on a day ride but we plan to be on the road for weeks at a time which is where Brooks saddles shine.

The jerseys are from a ride about 4 years ago. If we run another batch off (people at work sometimes ask) I'll keep you in mind. http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=13806

·
Registered
783 Posts
I just hear that Santana call out for a Trans Am Coast to Coast adventure. That sure is a huge disc rotor on the back my god but then again you gotta be able to stop the speed demon. Glad the weather was on the good side for you guys.

Ray Still

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
that is a HUGE rotor... seems to me that you would want the disc in front, rather than doing a reverse mullet. no racks mod needed either. but santana built it, so they would know best

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ha! You must be thinking of half bikes!

FatTireFred said:
that is a HUGE rotor... seems to me that you would want the disc in front, rather than doing a reverse mullet. no racks mod needed either. but santana built it, so they would know best
With that huge rotor (putting the caliper a long ways from the dropouts) and the 160mm drop out spacing no rack mods are required at all.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
MB1 said:
With that huge rotor (putting the caliper a long ways from the dropouts) and the 160mm drop out spacing no rack mods are required at all.

how big is that rotor, anyway? and how much clearance from the bag?

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FatTireFred said:
how big is that rotor, anyway? and how much clearance from the bag?
You know, I don't really know how big the rotor is. It is what impressed the guys in the shop the most. However big it is there was no problem with the small bags we intend to run- likely would be a problem with any size bag that I can tell.

It was the 11-34 10 speed cassette hooked up to the 30/39/53 rings that suprised me the most (110" gear range with most of them usable thanks to the long chainstays). Haven't needed the small ring yet with a 31" low gear in the middle ring.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,324 Posts
Whoever thought MB would go in for the CF-bartape look :eek: :D

Looks like a beatuful day with a dam nice bike :)

PS-Have you started to wax that frame to keep the CF bits shiny? :cool:

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Very awesome ride, pics, and bike.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thinkcooper said:
Nice ride. Nice shots as usual.

The big question - you guys have figured out how to bunny hop on it, right? :D

ps. this in the tandem forum too?
How do you like the new photographer?

No, we just like to crush anything in our way.

Yes.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
abiciriderback said:
I just hear that Santana call out for a Trans Am Coast to Coast adventure. ....
We partially got it for a tour we are taking next month.

Frankfurt to Budapest.

4 or 5 countries (Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Czech Republic and Hungary) in a couple of weeks.

We are getting excited now.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,451 Posts
MB1 said:
I'm sure I'd like her just fine. Her work is inspiring. The held up high overhead shot is one of my signatures, and she's arrived at the same place but 3000 miles to the right. The continuity is the only thing that jarred me. Miss M shoots, then MB1, then ???.

Follow-up question - the two of you swap stoker/captain roles?

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thinkcooper said:
...Follow-up question - the two of you swap stoker/captain roles?
Too big a height difference.

We can't get the captains seat down far enough for her to actually reach the pedals sitting down and still have room for a stoker stem.

·
Seat's not level
19,392 Posts
MB1 said:
Very nice, but I kinda liked the pics of her bum better than yours. :blush2:

Actually you will have to make sure she doesn't have any reason for revenge from all the pics you have taken of her over the years.

Looking forward to your trips and the pics.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.